Max speaks with Lieutenant Hafner while searching for a suspect at Von Triebenbach’s house, but the soldier soon tires of their conversation and sets his sights on Clara.
- Which rather begs the question how did you get in here?
- I'm a friend of the artist.
I don't know your name.
- Max, Max Liebermann.
I didn't catch yours.
- I didn't give it.
Now, that's art.
- [Max] Sorry?
- But I prefer that...
- Thou art fairer than the evening air,
clad in the beauty of a thousand stars.
- How many times?
- I beg your pardon?
- Every gentleman in Vienna
knows two lines of poetry by heart.
How many times have you used it this week?
How many girls are fairer than the evening air?
- (speaking foreign language)
- Clara Weiss.
Clad in the beauty of, what was it?
- A thousand stars.
- [Clara] Yes.