MetroFocus

FULL EPISODE

MetroFocus: September 15, 2021

In The Killing of Kenneth Chamberlain, executive producer and actor Morgan Freeman exposes the excessive and brutal force too often executed by the police in their response to emergency calls and non-threatening situations. Tonight, Morgan Freeman, along with activist, Kenneth Chamberlain Jr., join us with the inside story of one family’s legal fight for justice.

AIRED: September 15, 2021 | 0:28:36
ABOUT THE PROGRAM
TRANSCRIPT

>>> THIS IS "METROFOCUS" WITH

RAFAEL PI ROMAN, JACK FORD, AND

JENNA FLANAGAN.

>>> "METROFOCUS" IS MADE

POSSIBLE BY --

SUE AND EDGAR WACHENHEIM III.

SYLVIA A. AND SIMON B. POYTA

PROGRAMING ENDOWMENT TO FIGHT

ANTI-SEMITISM.

THE PETER G. PETERSON AND JOAN

GANZ COONEY FUND.

BERNARD AND DENISE SCHWARTZ.

BARBARA HOPE ZUCKERBERG.

THE AMBROSE MONELL FOUNDATION.

AND BY --

JANET PRINDLE SEIDLER.

JODY AND JOHN ARNHOLD.

CHERYL AND PHILIP MILSTEIN

FAMILY.

JUDY AND JOSH WESTON.

DR. ROBERT C. AND TINA SOHN

FOUNDATION.

>>> GOOD EVENING AND WELCOME TO

"METROFOCUS."

10 YEARS AGO, KENNETH

CHAMBERLAIN, AN ELDERLY BLACKMAN

FROM WHITE PLAINS, NEW YORK WAS

SHOT AND KILLED IN HIS OWN

APARTMENT BY WHITE POLICE

OFFICERS.

THE POLICE WERE NOTIFIED AFTER

MR. CHAMBERLAIN'S LIFE ALERT

MONSTER ACCIDENTALLY WENT OFF.

A LITTLE MORE THAN AN HOUR AND A

HALF AFTER THE EVENT, HE FORMER

MARINE, CORRECTIONS OFFICER, WHO

STRUGGLED WITH A HEART CONDITION

AND PSYCHIATRIC ISSUES SHOT DEAD

IN HIS HOME.

NOW 10 YEARS LATER, AS HIS

FAMILY IS FIGHTING FOR JUSTICE,

A NEW FILM TELLS THE TRAGIC AND

TRUE STORY MR. CHAMBERLAIN'S

DEATH.

HERE IS A QUICK PREVIEW.

MR. CHAMBERLAIN, THIS IS CANDACE

OF MEDICAL ALERTS.

THIS LINE IS BEING RECORDED.

WE RECEIVED AN ACTIVATION FROM

YOUR PENDANT.

DO YOU HAVE AN EMERGENCY?

I'M NOT GETTING A RESPONSE FROM

YOU.

I'M GOING TO DISPATCH EMERGENCY

SERVICES NOW.

[ BANGING ]

>> POLICE!

>> WE'RE HERE FOR A WELFARE

CHECK.

>> HELP ME.

HELP ME.

I NEED HELP.

JOINING ME NOW TO DISCUSS THE

FILM AND THE HEARTBREAKING

EVENTS THAT IT DEPICTS IS MORGAN

FREEMAN, THE EXECUTIVE PRODUCER

OF "THE KILLING OF KENNETH

CHAMBERLAIN" AND MR.

CHAMBERLAIN, JR., A POLICE

REFORM ACTIVIST.

THANK YOU FOR JOINING US ON

"METROFOCUS."

>> THANK YOU.

>> FIRST OFF I WANT TO START --

>> KENNETH, I WANT TO ASK IF YOU

COULD TELL THE AUDIENCE A LITTLE

BIT OF YOUR FATHER'S STORY.

THERE ARE SO MANY INDIVIDUALS

LIKE HIM, BUT WHAT WAS IT ABOUT

HIM THAT WAS SPECIAL TO YOU AS

YOUR DAD?

>> WELL, YOU KNOW, MY DAD WAS,

LIKE MY CHILD, HE WAS MY FIRST

SUPER HERO.

YOU KNOW, THERE WAS NOTHING DAD

COULDN'T DO.

NOTHING DAD COULDN'T FIX.

THERE WAS A PROBLEM YOU WENT TO

DAD.

IF MOM SAID NO, YOU WENT TO DAD.

AND YOU ASKED DAD COULD YOU GO

OR COULD YOU DO THIS, YOU KNOW,

AND DAD HAD THAT UNIQUE WAY OF

CONVINCING MOM TO LET YOU GO

THROUGH IT EVEN THOUGH MAYBE SHE

DIDN'T WANT YOU TO.

BUT KENNETH CHAMBERLAIN SENIOR,

YOU KNOW, FOOIF I HAD TO SAY

ANYTHING, HE WAS A MAN OF

INTEGRITY, A MAN OF HONOR.

A PROUD MARINE.

HE WAS A MAN ON NOVEMBER 19th,

2011, WHAT HAPPENED TO HIM

SHOULDN'T HAVE HAPPENED.

>> UH-HUH.

MORGAN, I WANT TO ASK, HOW DID

YOU FIRST HEAR ABOUT THE STORY?

WHY DID YOU WANT TO GET INVOLVED

WITH THE FILM?

>> IT WAS LAST YEAR SOMETIME.

MY PRODUCER AND I WATCHED THIS

MOVIE.

IT WAS SENT TO US.

WE WERE LOOKING FOR SOMEONE TO

HELP GET IT DISTRIBUTED.

SO WHEN WE SAW IT, IT'S LIKE,

WOW!

WE HAVE TO GET ON BOARD.

WE HAVE TO DO WHATEVER WE CAN TO

TELL THIS STORY.

IT'S A REALLY GRIPPING STORY.

VERY SAD.

THERE WAS A LESSON FOR US ALL

ABOUT THIS DIDN'T HAPPEN.

THEY SENT THE WRONG PEOPLE TO DO

THE WRONG THING TO THE WRONG

PLACE.

THE POLICE ARE GENERALLY NOT

TRAINED TO HANDLE SITUATIONS

LIKE CHAMBERLAIN'S.

HE INADVERTENTLY SENT OFF THE

ALARM AND THEY SENT POLICE.

BUT THEN HE CALLED BACK AND SAID

THIS IS MISTAKEN.

I DON'T NEED ANYTHING.

THEY TOLD THE POLICE THAT.

WHY THEY HAD TO GET INTO THE

APARTMENT, WE STILL DON'T KNOW

BUT, YOU KNOW, JUST SO IT ALL

WENT DOWN TO HIM BEING KILLED.

NO RIME OR REASON.

JUST ONE OF THOSE POLICE THINGS.

>> IN THE INTRO FOR THE SEGMENT,

I DID SORT OF RETELL THE STORY

OF WHAT HAPPENED FOR THE

AUDIENCE BUT I GUESS ONE OF THE

THINGS THAT KEEPS COMING UP

EVERY TIME THERE IS POLICE

OFFICERLY A POLICE-INVOLVED

SHOOTING OF AN UNARMED BLACK

MAN, THERE'S THE QUESTION OF

WELL, IF HE JUST X, Y, Z.

IF HE JUST COMPLIED.

IF HE DID WHAT HE WAS SUPPOSED

TO DO, THEN IT COULD HAVE BEEN

AVOIDED.

KENNETH, TO YOU, I WANT TO ASK,

WHY DID HE NOT JUST ANSWER THE

DOOR, WHICH IS WHAT SOME PEOPLE

MIGHT ASK

>>WELL, LET ME JUST BACK UP A

LITTLE BIT.

MIKE BROWN JUNIOR COMPLIED.

HIS HANDS WERE IN THE AIR WHEN

HE WAS SHOT AND KILLED.

GEORGE FLOYD WAS IN HANDCUFFS

OFFERING NO RESISTANCE WHEN HE

WAS KILLED.

WE CAN'T CHANGE OUR SKIN COLOR

SO WE'RE PERCEIVED DIFFERENTLY.

WE'RE NOT TAKEN INTO CUSTODY AND

TAKEN TO WENDY'S TO GET A

HAMBURGER.

THEY INSISTED MY FATHER ANSWER

THE DOOR.

YOU'RE THERE FOR A MEDICAL CALL.

NOT A CRIME IN PROGRESS.

YOU DIDN'T HAVE A WARRANT.

YOU DIDN'T HAVE PERMISSION, AND

YOU, AS OFFICERS, CREATED THE

CIRCUMSTANCE.

TO TRY TO GET PEOPLE TO BELIEVE

THAT SOMETHING ELSE WAS GOING ON

THAT WASN'T.

HE DIDN'T OPEN THE DOOR.

>> OKAY.

I WANT TO SAY THAT THE FILM --

FIRST OF ALL, THE STORIES ARE

CRITICALLY POWERFUL BUT IT

INTENTIONALLY, I THINK, HAS A

POWERFUL TITLE.

IT DOES NOT HINT AT WHAT THE

SUBJECT MATTER IS.

IT GETS DIRECTLY TO IT.

I'M NOT SURE HOW MUCH, YOU KNOW,

SAY YOU HAD IN THAT, BUT AT

LEAST AS A FILM PRODUCER, WHY SO

IMPORTANT TO BE CRYSTAL CLEAR

WHAT THE AUDIENCE.

WHAT WAS THE SUBJECT MATTER THAT

WAS GOING TO BE ADDRESSED.

>> IT WAS -- IT WAS DELIBERATE.

AND I THINK THE PUBLIC HAS

PROBABLY SEEN ENOUGH OF THIS

SORT OF THING.

PEOPLE SHOT IN THE BACK, PEOPLE

JUST I DON'T KNOW FEEL LIKE

GEORGE FLOYD, AND WE HAVE TO

DRAMATIZE THIS MORE.

IT CAN'T JUST LIE -- I DON'T

THINK -- HAVE YOU EVER HEARD OF

A BLACK POLICE OFFICER KILLING

ANYBODY?

>> I WAS GOING TO SAY

UNFORTUNATELY I THINK THERE'S

ONE CASE THAT IS GOING TO STICK

OUT IN MOST PEOPLE'S MINDS.

>> HOW MANY?

>> ONE CASE.

>> ONE CASE.

ONE CASE.

>> I BELIEVE IT WAS AN

AUSTRALIAN WOMAN.

>> OKAY.

BUT IT'S -- THIS CASE, AH, I

THINK IT JUST ONE OF THOSE MANY

THAT NEED TO HAVE A PUBLIC AND

PUBLIC NEEDS TO SEE THIS SORT OF

THING IN ORDER FOR US TO HAVE

THE I IMPETUS TO DO SOMETHING

ABOUT IT.

THE BLACK POPULATION OF THIS

COUNTRY HAS PUT UP WITH -- SINCE

FIRST ARRIVING ON THIS

CONTINENT.

I MEAN, SO MUCH THAT IT'S ALMOST

LIKE WE'VE BECOME -- IT'S LIKE,

OKAY, THAT'S THE WAY IT IS BUT

WE CAN'T GO ON LIKE THAT.

INTERESTINGLY ENOUGH, THE

POPULATION OF THE UNITED STATES

IS MARGINALIZED.

WE'RE ALL MIXED AND STUFF WITH

JUST ABOUT EVERYTHING.

SO TRYING TO SINGLE ONE GROUP

OUT FROM ANOTHER IS A LOT LESS

EASY TO DO.

AND THE OTHER ONE IS THERE'S NO

REASON FOR US TO ACCEPT THE

KILLING OF KENNETH CHAMBERLAIN

OR ANY KENNETH CHAMBERLAIN.

JUST UNACCEPTED.

>> KENNETH, I WANTED TO TURN TO

YOU IN REGARDS TO THE CASE

ITSELF.

INITIALLY A GRAND JURY CHOSE NOT

TO INDICT THE OFFICERS WHO WERE

INVOLVED IN YOUR FATHER'S

SHOOTING DEATH.

SO, FIRST, I WOULD ASK IF YOU

CAN SHARE WITH US WHAT WAS THE

REASONING BEHIND THAT?

>> WELL, YOU KNOW, EVEN IN THE

BEGINNING WHEN WE TOOK THE CASE

TO TRIAL CIVILLY.

LET ME SAY THAT IN 2012, ON A

LOCAL LEVEL, THE DISTRICT

ATTORNEY SHE PROMISED THE FULL

AND FAIR INVESTIGATION.

CAME BACK WITH NO TRUE -- EVEN

WHEN THEY SPOKE ABOUT THE RACIAL

SLUR HURLED ABOUT MY FATHER

MOMENTS BEFORE HE WAS KILLED,

SHE JUSTIFIED IT BY SAYING IT

WAS USED AS A TACTIC TO DISTRACT

MY FATHER.

THAT WAS INSULTING ITSELF.

SO WE DID MOVE FORWARD CIVILLY

AT THAT POINT.

MOST PEOPLE, YOU KNOW, HAVE THIS

IDEA OF THEY THINK WHEN YOU GO

TO FEDERAL COURT AND YOU'RE

GOING TO SUE THE POLICE

DEPARTMENT OR SUE THE CITY, THAT

YOU ARE DOING IT FOR MONETARY

GAIN.

THAT YOU JUST TRY TO MAKE A

BUCK.

THAT IS FAR FROM THE TRUTH.

YOU KNOW, THIS IS WHERE YOUR

ATTORNEYS, YOUR INVESTIGATORS

ALL HAVE AN OPPORTUNITY TO

INVESTIGATE THIS CASE, LOOK AT

THE THINGS THAT HAPPEN, LOOK AT

WHAT WAS OR WASN'T SUBMITTED ON

A LOCAL LEVEL, AND HOPE DO YOU

CAN GET IT INTO FEDERAL COURT.

THE JUDGE WE HAD HEARING THE

CASE, SHE TOOK THE MEAT OF OUR

CASE, ON THE VERY BEGINNING, AND

THREW IT OUT.

SO BY THEN REJECTING THE

WRONGFUL DEATH LAWSUIT, WE HAD

TO FILE THE APPEAL.

THEN IN 2020, LAST YEAR, WE WON

THE APPEAL.

WE WON THE APPEAL BASED ON THE

QUALIFIED IMMUNITY.

SAYING THAT THE OFFICERS WERE

NOT PROTECTED.

THE JUDGE'S DECISION, THEY SAID

THAT INSTEAD OF TREATING MR.

CHAMBERLAIN LIKE A CRITICALLY

ILL PATIENT, THEY TREATED HIM

LIKE A CRIMINAL SUSPECT.

NOW WE'RE BACK IN COURT AND

WE'RE HOPING NOW THAT WE'LL GET

SOME TYPE OF ACCOUNTABILITY IN

MY FATHER'S KILLING.

BUT THIS IS THE THING THAT WE'VE

HAD TO DEAL WITH FROM THE VERY

BEGINNING AND BY US WINNING THE

APPEAL, WHAT WE DID OF OUTSIDE

OF WINNING THAT, WE CREATED CASE

LAW.

SO CASE LAW IS VERY IMPORTANT

WHEN YOU'RE FIGHTING THESE

CASES.

YOU KNOW, WE NEED TO BE ABLE TO

SAY CHAMBERLAIN V. OF WHITE

PLAINS.

THE ORIGINAL DECISION WAS THIS

BUT THE JUDGES IN THE SECOND

CIRCUIT OVERTURNED THAT DECISION

BASED ON THIS.

YOU KNOW, THAT GIVES THE

FAMILIES A FIGHTING CHANCE.

BECAUSE IT'S NOT JUST ABOUT THE

KILLING OF KENNETH CHAMBERLAIN,

SR.

IT'S ABOUT THE KILLING -- LET'S

SAY IN WESTCHESTER COUNTY.

IT'S ABOUT THE KILLING OF

FLOWERS, THE KILLING OF SAMUEL

CRUISE.

IT'S ABOUT THE KILLING OF

JONATHAN MALDONADO.

NAMES THAT PEOPLE WILL NEVER

HEAR ABOUT, YOU KNOW, AND THAT

THESE CITIES HOPE THAT, YOU

KNOW, THESE CASES GET SWEPT

UNDER THE RUG.

SO WHEN I'M OUT HERE FIGHTING

FOR MY FATHER AND I'M PUSHING

FOR ACCOUNTABILITY, I'M NOT JUST

DOING IT FOR MY DAD.

I'M DOING IT FOR THOSE FAMILIES,

AS WELL.

THEY NIGHT -- NEED A FIGHTING

CHANCE, AS WELL.

COMING UP WITH THIS MOVIE AND

COMING UP WITH THE NAME IT WAS

FUNNY BECAUSE WE SAT AND WE

THOUGHT AND WE WERE SAYING WHAT

SHOULD WE CALL IT?

YOU KNOW, I RECENTLY WAS

THINKING ABOUT ILLEGAL SEARCH

AND SEIZURE.

YOU KNOW, THEY VIOLATED HIS

CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHTS.

BUT THEN WE WERE SITTING THERE

AND THEY SAID NO.

WE SAID, SO, WHAT HAPPENS IN

THIS MOVIE?

THEY KILL HIM.

WHAT HAPPENED IN REAL LIFE?

THEY KILLED HIM.

SO WE'RE GOING TO GET RIGHT TO

THE POINT AND WE'RE GOING TO

CALL IT "THE KILLING OF KENNETH

CHAMBERLAIN."

IT'S A HARD MOVIE TO LOOK AT.

IT'S HARD TO TAKE IN.

I MEAN, EVERY TIME I LOOK AT IT,

YOU GET THE SAME REACTION.

THE TEARS FALL FROM MY EYES.

YOU KNOW, BECAUSE I'M RELIVING

THIS OVER AND OVER AGAIN.

THAT'S -- WE WON'T EVEN BEGIN TO

DISCUSS THE TRAUMA THAT IS

ASSOCIATED WITH IT.

YOU KNOW, THAT NOT JUST MYSELF

BUT MY FAMILY HAD TO DEAL WITH.

>> IF YOU NOTICE, HE HAS NOT YET

MENTIONED JUSTICE IN THIS CASE

BECAUSE HE'S BEEN SAYING ALL

ALONG, I MEAN, KENNETH JUNIOR,

THAT JUSTICE IS NOT SOMETHING --

HE EXPECTS TO GET IN THIS WHOLE

SITUATION.

WHAT IS NECESSARY IS

ACCOUNTABILITY.

AND WE ARE IN AGREEMENT WITH

THAT.

YOU SEE THE MOVIE AND YOU KNOW.

BUT THIS SORT OF -- MURDER.

K

KENNETH DID YOU MENTION THE ONE

TIME, THE PAPERS SAID POLICE

SHOT -- WIELDING MAN?

>> NO.

I DID NOT BRING THAT UP BUT THAT

WAS SOMETHING, YOU KNOW, WHEN WE

TALK ABOUT FIGHTING THESE TYPES

OF CASES, WE KNOW IT'S SO

IMPORTANT TO LOOK AT THE

NARRATIVES THAT LAW ENFORCEMENT

WILL PUT OUT THERE IMMEDIATELY

AFTER THEY COMMIT THESE TYPES OF

ACTS.

ONE OF THE FIRST THINGS THEY DID

WHEN MY FATHER WAS KILLED, THEY

SAID POLICE KILLED HATCHET

WIELDING MAN.

NOW IF YOU, AS A REPORTER, AS A

JOURNALIST, AS SOMEONE THAT

INVESTIGATES STORIES SUCH AS

THESE, AND I COME TO YOU AND SAY

WIFE CLAIMS POLICE SHOOT AND

KILL HATCHET WIELDING MAN.

YOU THINK THERE'S A MAN IN THE

STREET TRYING TO HURT OR KILL

PEOPLE AND POLICE HAD TO TAKE

HIS LIFE.

NOT POLICE RESPOND TO A WELFARE

CHECK AND END UP KILLING AN

INNOCENT MAN.

TWO DIFFERENT STORIES.

SO, YOU KNOW, THAT NARRATIVE OF

PUTTING THE NARRATIVE OUT THERE.

I HAD TO STOP IT IMMEDIATELY.

AS SOON AS THE POLICE DID THAT,

I MADE SURE TO LET THEM KNOW

THAT NO, NO.

THEY WERE RESPONDING TO A

MEDICAL CALL.

A POSSIBLE MEDICAL EMERGENCY.

HOW DOES A POSSIBLE MEDICAL

EMERGENCY END IN DEATH?

YOU ARE THERE TO CHECK ON HIS

WELFARE.

HIS WELL BEING.

TO SEE IF HE WAS OKAY.

IS IT BECAUSE YOU WERE COMING TO

A NEIGHBORHOOD THAT HAS, YOU

KNOW, HIGH CRIME RATE?

BECAUSE THE MAJORITY OF PEOPLE

THAT LIVE IN THAT NEIGHBORHOOD

ARE BLACK AND HISPANIC.

YOU KNOW, YOU'RE NOT GOING UP A

COUPLE OF BLOCKS TO THE RIGHT TO

A MORE AFFLUENT AREA WHERE IF

THEY TELL YOU, I'M FINE, GET

AWAY FROM MY DOOR, YOU'LL SAY,

OKAY, SORRY TO HAVE DISTURBED

YOU.

SO, YOU KNOW, THESE ARE THE

THINGS WE'RE DEALING WITH AS FAR

AS MY FATHER'S CASE IS CONCERNED

>>WELL, BUT, YEAH, AT THE SAME

TIME YOUR FATHER'S CASE AND WHAT

HAPPENED TO HIM, AS MORGAN

POINTED OUT, IS BY NO MEANS

HAPPENING WITHIN A VIDEO

VIDEOCASSETTE -- VACUUM.

I WONDER WHERE IT FITS IN WITH

THE -- NOT ONLY THE BLACK LIVES

MATTER MOVEMENT BUT YOUR

ORGANIZATION WORKS ON POLICE

REFORM AND THERE'S BEEN A LOT OF

ACTIVISTS, PARTICULARLY

CONNECTED TO BLACK LIVES MATTER

FOR JUST SAYING NO.

JUST ABOLISH THE POLICE.

WHAT IS YOUR ORGANIZATION

WORKING?

I GUESS WHERE DO YOU STAND --

AGAIN, CONSIDERING WHAT YOUR

FAMILY HAS BEEN THROUGH.

>> WELL, YOU KNOW, I ALWAYS MAKE

IT DLEER -- IT CLEAR THAT MY

FAMILY AN I ARE NOT ANTI-LAW

ENFORCEMENT.

NEVER HAVE BEEN AND NEVER WILL

BE.

WE ARE ANTI-INDIVIDUALS WHO DO

WHATEVER THEY THINK THEY CAN.

THAT'S OUR STANCE AND OUR

POSITION.

SO IF YOU ARE ONE OF THOSE

INDIVIDUALS THAT JUST FEEL LIKE

YOU CAN DO SOMETHING WITH

IMPUNITY, THEN I'M ANTI-YOU,

PRETTY MUCH.

BUT I'M NOT A FAN OF DEFUNDING

THE POLICE.

I THINK IT'S SEMANTICS.

PEOPLE HAVE TO BE SPECIFIC WHEN

YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT DEFUNDING.

OKAY.

WHAT YOU WANT TO DO IS

REALLOCATE FUNDS.

THAT'S WHAT YOU WANT TO DO YOU

WANT TO SAY, WELL, DO YOU HAVE

MENTAL HEALTH PROFESSIONALS ON

YOUR LAW ENFORCEMENT TEAM?

NO, WE DO NOT.

WELL, WE'RE GOING TO REALLOCATE

SOME OF THOSE FUNDS THAT YOU

USED TO BUY A TANK.

WE'RE GOING TO SAY NOW TAKE THAT

MONEY AND HIRE SOME SOCIAL

WORKERS.

OKAY.

THAT'S WHAT WE'RE PUSHING FOR

YOU TO DO WE'RE GOING TO LOOK AT

THE WHOLE BODY CAMERA ISSUE, AND

MAKE SURE THAT'S THERE AND MAKE

SURE YOU HAVE MONEY BECAUSE

THEY'RE TALKING ABOUT STORAGE

AND SO WE WANT TO MAKE SURE THAT

YOU HAVE ENOUGH FUNDS TO BE ABLE

TO STORE THAT, BUT I BELIEVE

THAT ANY CAMERA FOOTAGE NEEDS TO

BE IN A CENTRAL LOCATION THAT

POLICE DON'T HAVE ACCESS TO

BECAUSE IT CAN DISAPPEAR.

WHEN WE TALK ABOUT MENTAL HEALTH

AND NOT JUST TALKING ABOUT

MENTAL HEALTH INDIVIDUALS THEY

ENCOUNTER IN THE STREET, WE'RE

ALSO TALKING ABOUT THE MENTAL

HEALTH OF THE OFFICERS.

BECAUSE THEY MAY NOT BE MENTALLY

SOUND AFTER SIX MONTHS OR A YEAR

OR FIVE YEARS ON THE JOB.

SO THESE ARE SOME OF THE THINGS

THAT, YOU KNOW, WE'RE LOOKING AT

IN TERMS OF, YOU KNOW, MY

ORGANIZATION, WESTCHESTER

COALITION FOR POLICE REFORM.

WE ALSO WILL HAVE FORUMS.

WE'LL INVITE LEADERSHIP.

WE'LL SAY, YOU KNOW, LET'S TALK

ABOUT NOT JUST WHAT DO YOU DO IF

YOU ARE STOPPED BY POLICE, BUT

HOW DO YOU SURVIVE A LAW

ENFORCEMENT ENCOUNTER.

YOU KNOW, WHAT IS THE RIGHT

THINGS TO DO SO THEY DON'T JUST

SAY I FEAR FOR MY LIFE.

THEN THERE'S BLACK LIVES MATTER,

THE ORGANIZATION, AND THEN BLACK

LIVES LATER THE MOVEMENT.

YOU SEE AND WE HAVE TO

UNDERSTAND THE DIFFERENCE

BETWEEN THE TWO.

AND JUST BECAUSE YOU YELL BLACK

LIVES MATTER OR PUT A HASHTAG

DOESN'T MEAN YOU'RE A PART OF A

MOVEMENT.

AND TO THE ELECTED OFFICIALS OUT

THERE, STOP SAYING BLACK LIVES

MATTER IF YOU'RE NOT GOING TO

SHOW US THAT BLACK LIVES MATTER.

YOU KNOW.

DON'T JUST SAY IT BECAUSE IT'S

POLITICALLY ADVANTAGE USE AND IT

WORKS FOR YOUR PLATFORM.

YOU KNOW, SHOW ME.

TAKE STEPS.

PUT MECHANISMS IN PLACE THAT

WHEN THESE OFFICERS COMMIT THESE

ACTS THAT THEY'RE HELD

ACCOUNTABLE.

>> MORGAN, I WANT TO ASK YOU,

YOU SPOKE SO ELOQUENTLY AND TO

THE POINT ABOUT THE FACT THAT

THIS IS NOTHING NEW THE STORY,

UNFORTUNATELY, WITHIN THE

AFRICAN-AMERICAN EXPERIENCE.

I WANTED TO GET YOUR TAKE ON --

DO YOU HAVE ANY CONCERNS OR

MAYBE EVEN FEARS ABOUT THE

AMERICAN PUBLIC AND BY THIS I

MEAN ALL THE PUBLIC BLACK

AMERICANS, WHITE AMERICANS,

BECOMING NUMB TO BLACK PAIN?

>> TROUBLE -- NO --

>> DO YOU HAVE ANY THOUGHTS?

>> HAVE YOU LEAST ME?

>> NO, I STILL HEAR YOU.

>> OKAY.

ALL RIGHT.

ALL RIGHT.

NOW YOU'RE BACK.

>> YES, OKAY.

DID YOU CATCH MY QUESTION?

[ INAUDIBLE ]

FOR A MINUTE.

LIKE NOW.

>> OKAY.

BECAUSE WE'RE COMING -- WE HAVE

ABOUT A MINUTE LEFT --

[ INAUDIBLE ]

>> CAN YOU HEAR ME?

>> I CAN HEAR YOU BUT YOU'RE

BREAKING UP.

>> OH, LORD.

I'M BREAKING UP.

OKAY.

>> POSSIBLY BE, YOU KNOW, THE

CONNECTION BUT I HEARD IT.

>> OKAY.

>> CAN YOU HEAR ME?

>> PEOPLE ARE DESENSITIZED.

IF I TELL YOU, AS A BLACK MAN

THEY SAY KENNETH CHAMBERLAIN

JUNIOR GOT SHOT BY THE POLICE

DOWN THE STREET.

WHAT DID HE DO?

WHAT DID HE DO TO GET SHOT BY

THE POLICE BECAUSE THE POLICE

DON'T COMMIT CRIMES.

THEY DON'T DO ANYTHING WRONG.

WE KNOW THAT'S NOT TRUE.

POLICE OFFICERS LIE.

POLICE OFFICERS COMMIT CRIMES.

SO PEOPLE ARE DESENSITIZED.

THEY TRY TO MAKE IT LOOK LIKE

THESE ARE ISOLATED INCIDENTS AND

THEY DON'T HAPPEN AS FREQUENTLY.

THEY WILL TALK ABOUT WHITE

PEOPLE -- BY POLICE OFFICERS.

AND TALK ABOUT THE PERCENTAGE

AND SAY HOW, YOU KNOW, THERE ARE

62% OF THE POPULATION AND

THEY'RE SHOT AT A HIGHER RATE.

I SAID I'M NOT A GREAT

MATHEMATICIAN, I SAID, BUT BLACK

PEOPLE ARE ONLY 13% OF THE

POPULATION AND WE'RE 2.5 TIMES

MORE LIKELY TO BE SHOT AND

KILLED BY LAW ENFORCEMENT.

SO I THINK THAT'S A MUCH HIGHER

RATE WHEN YOU START LOOKING AT

NUMBERS.

>> OF COURSE.

I HATE TO INTERRUPT BUT

UNFORTUNATELY WE HAVE TO LEAVE

IT THERE.

I WANT TO THANK BOTH OF MY

GUESTS MORGAN FREEMAN, THE

EXECUTIVE PRODUCER OF "THE

KILLING OF KENNETH CHAMBERLAIN"

AND MR. KENNETH CHAMBERLAIN, JR.

THANK YOU FOR JOINING US.

AND MORE IMPORTANTLY, MAKING

SURE THIS FILM GETS VIEWED BY

THE PUBLIC.

>> WE'RE ON IT.

.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH.

>> THANK YOU.

>>> "METROFOCUS" IS MADE

POSSIBLE BY --

SUE AND EDGAR WACHENHEIM III.

SYLVIA A. AND SIMON B. POYTA

PROGRAMING ENDOWMENT TO FIGHT

ANTI-SEMITISM.

THE PETER G. PETERSON AND JOAN

GANZ COONEY FUND.

BERNARD AND DENISE SCHWARTZ.

BARBARA HOPE ZUCKERBERG.

THE AMBROSE MONELL FOUNDATION.

AND BY --

JANET PRINDLE SEIDLER.

JODY AND JOHN ARNHOLD.

CHERYL AND PHILIP MILSTEIN

FAMILY.

JUDY AND JOSH WESTON.

DR. ROBERT C. AND TINA SOHN

FOUNDATION.

STREAM METROFOCUS ON

  • ios
  • apple_tv
  • android
  • roku
  • firetv

FEATURED PROGRAMS