MetroFocus

FULL EPISODE

MetroFocus: September 14, 2017

Nicole Malliotakis wants to be the first female Mayor of the City of New York. Ken Burns has brought back to life some of America’s most defining moments! What do you call a man who has produced some of the most iconic Broadway hits in history? That title would be “Prince,” Hal Prince to be exact. A true “Treasure of NY.” Come take a look at the mighty, majestic, and magnificent Erie Canal.

AIRED: September 14, 2017 | 0:26:51
ABOUT THE PROGRAM
TRANSCRIPT

>>> TONIGHT ON "METROFOCUS."

NICOLE WANTS TO BE THE FIRST

WOMAN MAYOR OF THE CITY OF NEW

YORK AND SHE'S NOT LETTING BILL

de BLASIO STAND IN HERE WAY.

TONIGHT IN A "METROFOCUS"

EXCLUSIVE, THE REPUBLICAN

CANDIDATE WILL LAY OUT HER

VISION FOR THE CITY AND SHOW SHE

PLANS TO UNSEAT THE INCUMBENT.

CAN SHE BRING BACK TO LIFE SOME

OF LIFE'S AMERICAN MOMENTS AS NO

DOCUMENTARIAN HAS DONE BEFORE

HIM.

TONIGHT, A PREVIEW OF HIS AND

HIS PARTNER'S GRAND BREAKING EP

IM"THE VIETNAM".

>>> WHAT DO YOU CALL A MAN WHO

HAVE PRODUCED OR DIRECTED SOME

OF THE MOST ICONIC BRADWAY

MUSICALS IN HISTORY.

A MAN WITH A SEVEN-DECADE RESUME

INCLUDING CABARET AND EVITA JUST

TO NAME A VIEW.

YOU WOULD CALL HIM A PRINCE.

HAL PRINCE THAT IS AND HE EAR

PLEASED TO HAVE THIS MEMBER OF

THEATER ROYALTY HERE WITH US TO

TALK ABOUT HIS AMAZING NEW

PRODUCTION.

AND WE HAVE A FASCINATING LOOK

AT A TREASURE OF NEW YORK, THE

MIGHTY AND MA JET TICK ERIE

CANAL.

THOSE ISSUES AND MORE AS

"METROFOCUS" STARTS RIGHT NOW.

>>> THIS IS "METROFOCUS" WITH

RAFAEL.

RAHMAN, AND JENNA FLANAGAN.

FUNDING FOR THIS PROGRAM WAS

PROVIDED BY --

>>> GOOD EVENING AND WELCOME PO

"METROFOCUS."

THANKS FOR JOINING US.

WE BEGIN TONIGHT WITH THE RACE

FOR NEW YORK CITY MAYOR WHICH

HEATED UP THIS WEEK AS MAYOR

BILL de BLASIO CRUISED TO A VIKT

TOY THE SEE CURE THE DEMOCRATIC

NOMI

NOMINATION.

UP NEXT THE GENERAL ELECTION IN

NOVEMBER.

THE MAYOR'S REPUBLICAN OPPONENT

WILL BE STATE ASSEMBLY WOMAN

NICOLE MALL TAU KIS.

THE ASSEMBLY WOMAN WAS UNOPPOSED

IN THE PRIMARY AND SHE JOINS US

NOW.

WELCOME BACK TO THE PROGRAM.

>> GOOD TO BE HERE.

THANK YOU.

>> I DON'T NEED TO TELL YOU THAT

DEMOCRATS OUTNUMBER REPUBLICANS

IN NEW YORK CITY SIX TO ONE,

THAT THE MAYOR HAS RAISED A LOT

MORE MONEY THAN YOU HAVE.

IN FACT YOU HAVEN'T YET RAISED

ENOUGH MONEY TO RECEIVE THE

MATCHING MONEY FROM THE CITY

PUBLIC FINANCE PROGRAM.

HOW ARE YOU GOING TO OVERCOME

THESE OBSTACLES AND WIN THE

RACE?

>> WELL, FIRST OF ALL, WE'RE

CLOSE TO THE MATCHING FUNDS

PROGRAM.

WE'RE MAKING A BIG EFFORT THIS

WEEK TO RAISE THE AMOUNT

NECESSARY, ROUGHLY $20,000

SHORT.

SO WE WILL GET THAT IN TO ENSURE

THAT WE CAN GO HEAD TO HEAD WITH

THE MAYOR.

NOW IN TERMS OF THE

REGISTRATION, I'VE DEFEATED A

DEMOCRATIC INCUMBENT BEFORE IN A

DISTRICT THAT THE DEMOCRATS

OUTNUMBER THE REPUBLICANS.

I BELIEVE THAT WHEN WE TALK

ABOUT THE ISSUES THAT ARE

PLAGUING OUR CITY AND MY

SOLUTIONS TO FIX THE QUALITY OF

LIFE HERE IN NEW YORK, THAT IS

SOMETHING THAT TRANSCENDS PARTY

LINES.

WE'VE SEEN FIVE TIMES IN A ROW

WHERE NEW YORKERS PULLED THE

LEVER FOR A REPUBLICAN WITH

MAYORS RUDY GIULIANI AND MICHAEL

BLOOMBERG.

I FEEL CONFIDENT AS WE GO OUT

THERE AND THE VOTERS GET TO KNOW

ME AS THE ALTERNATIVE TO BILL de

BLASIO.

SOMEONE WHO IS GOING TO BE

SERIOUS ABOUT ADJUSTING THE

ISSUES THAT ARE PLAGUING OUR

CITY, TRANSIT NIGHTMARES TO

TRAFFIC, EDUCATION FAILING OUR

CHILDREN, TO THE HOMELESS CRISIS

AND THOSE MENTALLY ILL WHO

CONTINUE TO PLAGUE OUR STREETS,

AFFECTINGS THEMSELVES AND

OTHERS.

>> YOU NAMED SOME OF THE

PROBLEMS.

BUT AS WE OFTEN HEAR FROM THE

MAYOR, NOW WE HAVE UNIVERSAL

PRE-K.

HIGH SCHOOL GRADUATION RATES ARE

GOING UP.

THE UNDERSTAND ACCIDENT OF STOP

AND FRISK ARE DOWN BY 93%.

YET CONTRARY TO ALL PREDICTIONS,

CRIME IS DOWN, AT AND ALL-TIME

LOW.

>> EACH ISSUE AT A TIME.

HIGH SCHOOL GRADUATION IS

SLIGHTLY UP.

WE HAVE 60% OF OUR STUDENTS WHO

ARE FAILING MATH AND READING.

THEY'VE LOWERED THE STANDARDS IS

WHY YOU SAW AN INCREASE OF 1% IN

THE GRADUATION RATES.

80% OF THE GRADUATE NEED

REMEDIAL MANAGEMENT, READING AND

WRITING.

UNIVERSAL PRE-K, I GIVE THE

MAYOR THERE.

I VOTED FOR THAT.

BUT WE NEED TO MAKE SURE THAT

THE 4-YEAR-OLDS HAVE SEATS IF

THEIR COMMUNITIES BEFORE WE

EXPAND IT.

SO I'VE HEARD FROM MANY PARENTS

WHO ARE UPSET THAT THERE'S NOT A

SEAT FOR THEIR CHILD AT THE

LOCAL PRE-K FOR THE 4-YEAR-OLDS.

THAT NEEDS TO BE FINE-TUNED

FIRST.

WE'RE ALREADY JUMPING LOOKING TO

EXPAND IT WITHOUT MAKING SURE

THERE ARE NECESSARY SEATS FOR

THE OTHERS.

IN TERMS OF CRIMES, YES, CERTAIN

INDEXES ARE LOW.

BUT IF YOU LOOK AT FELONY SEX

CRIMES, FOR EXAMPLE, THAT'S

INCREASED 25%.

>> IF NYPD DISPUTES THAT.

>> NO.

IT'S ON THEIR CRIME STATS.

THE FELONY SEX CRIMES HAVE GONE

UP 25%, SEX CRIMES ON SUBWAYS UP

51% FROM 2014 TO 2016.

AND IT'S RIGHT THERE ON THEIR

CRIME STAT, YOU CAN LOOK IT UP

FROM 2013 TO 2016.

IT'S A 25% INCREASE.

A TREMENDOUS INCREASE THAT WE

CAN'T TURN A BLIND EYE TO.

THERE ARE POCKETS AND

COMMUNITIES THAT FEEL THAT ARE

GANG VIOLENCE IS UP, SHOOTINGS

ARE UP.

SO EVEN THOUGH THE OVERALL CRIME

INDEX MAY BE LOW IN SOME OF THE

MAJOR CRIMES, THERE IS STILL

ISSUES OUT THERE.

AND I THINK A LOT OF IT HAS TO

DO WITH THE MENTALLY ILL, FOR

EXAMPLE, AS I MENTIONED.

WE'VE SEEN POLICE OFFICERS

FASCINATED BY SOMEONE WHO IS

SCHIZOPHRENIC.

SOMEONE RUN OVER AND KILLED.

FLASHINGS ON SUBWAYS.

SOMEONE STABBING WITH SCISSORS.

THERE ARE OTHER ISSUES RESOLVING

AR

AROUND IT.

>> YOU ARE NOT IF THE ONLY TWO

THE BALLOT COME NOVEMBER.

IN FACT HE'S RAISED MORE MONEY

THAN YOU HAVE.

FOR THOSE PEOPLE WHO HAVE

QUESTIONS ABOUT THE MAYOR, WHY

SHOULD THEY TURN TO YOU INSTEAD

OF TWO THOSE TWO MEN?

>> I'VE RAISED LESS MONEY ONLY

BECAUSE I GOT IN THE RACE SO

LATE.

BUT NOW I'VE OUTRAISED BO DIETL.

I DON'T THINK ANYTHING IS TAKING

HIM SERIOUSLY.

I THINK WE NEED TO ROW IN THE

SAME DIRECTION.

I'M THE ALTERNATIVE TO BILL de

BLASIO IN NOVEMBER.

IN ORDER FOR US TO WIN, WE NEED

EVERYONE TO COME OUT AND VOTE

AND CAST THEIR VOE TE FOR ME, T

PERSON WHO WILL BE ABLE TO

COLESS THE MOST SUPPORT TO MOUNT

A SERIOUS CHALLENGE.

>> DONALD TRUMP'S APPROVAL

RATING HERE IN THE CITY IS 18%.

AND UNLIKE THE VAST MAJORITY OF

NEW YORKERS, YOU VOTED FOR HIM.

THE MAYOR IS ALREADY CAMPAIGNING

AGAINST DONALD TRUMP.

SOMETIMES IT SEEMS LIKE THAT

WHEN HE'S CAMPAIGNING AGAINST

YOU.

HOW DO YOU SEPARATE YOURSELF

FROM DONALD TRUMP, THE PERSON

WHO YOU VOTED FOR?

>> I VOTED FOR HIM BECAUSE YOU

HAD TO MAKE A CHOICE AND I

WANTED TO VOTE FOR THE PERSON

WHO SHAKE UP WASHINGTON.

I'VE DISAGREED WITH MANY OF THE

THINGS HE'S DONE SINCE THEN.

CERTAINLY MARCO RUBIO WAS MY

CHOICE.

THAT'S BEEN CLEAR.

AFTER HE DROPPED OUT I NEVER

ENDORSED ANYONE ELSE.

WHEN I NEED TO DISAGREE WITH

DONALD TRUMP BECAUSE IT'S IN THE

BEST INTEREST OF THE CITY, VI NO

PROBLEM DOING THAT.

I HAVE DONE IT ALREADY.

I'VE SPOKEN OUT AGAINST MANY

ISSUES, INCLUDING THE BAN ON

TRANSGENDERS SERVING IN THE

MILITARY, I'VE COME TO THE

DEFENSE OF THE DACCA INDIVIDUAL

AND SAID I WILL LOBBY TO

STREAMLINE THE IMMIGRATION

SYSTEM.

WE SHOULDN'T BE STRIPPING THESE

INDIVIDUALS OF THEIR STATUS.

I'VE COME OUT AGAINST THE WALL,

THE TRAVEL BAN.

SO I HAVE NO ISSUE SAYING WHEN I

DISAGREE WITH MY PARTY OR THE

PRESIDENT.

AND I WILL DO THE SAME WHEN I

DISAGREE WITH THE GOVERNOR.

BUT WHAT WE HAVE RIGHT NOW IS A

MAYOR WHO DOESN'T GET ALONG WITH

EITHER AND YOU CAN'T DPIS AGREE

DIPLOMATICALLY AS A RESULT THE

PEOPLE OF NEW YORK CITY ARE

SUFFER.

>> WE'RE OUT OF TIME AND I'M NOT

OUT OF QUESTIONS.

I'M WONDERING IF YOU WOULD JOIN

ME AGAIN.

>> SURE.

ABSOLUTELY.

>> WE'VE INVITED MAYOR de BLASIO

TO COME ON THE PROGRAM.

BE SURE TO STAY TUNED TO

"METROFOCUS" OR CHECK OUT OUR

FACEBOOK PAGE FOR THE LATEST ON

DECISION 2017.

>>> FOR OVER 30 YEARS KEN BURNS

AND LYNN NOVAK HAVE BEEN MAKING

AWARD WINNING FILMS.

THEIR ACCLAIMED HISTORICAL

DOCUMENTARIES HAVE MADE OUR PAST

COME TO LIFE.

NOW THE FILMMAKERS HAVE TAKEN UP

ONE OF THE MOST PAINFUL

MOMENTOUS CHAPTERS, THE VIETNAM

WAF.

IT WILL TELL THE EPIC STORY OF

THE VIETNAM WAF AS IT HAS NEVER

BEEN TOLD BEFORE.

THE VIETNAM WAR FEATURES THE

TESTIMONY OF 100 WITNESSES,

INCLUDING MANY AMERICANS WHO

FOUGHT IN THE WAR AND OTHERS WHO

OPPOSED YET, AS WELL AS

CIVILIANS FROM THE WINNING AND

LOSING SIDES.

THE DOCUMENTARY SHEDS LIGHT ON

THE MILITARY, POLITICAL,

CULTURAL AND HUMAN DIMENSIONS OF

A TRAGEDY THAT TOOK THE LIVES OF

58,000 AMERICANS AND AS MANY AS

3 MILLION VIETNAMESE AND

POLARIZED THE NATION.

THE VIETNAM WAR WILL PREMIER ON

PBS ON SEPTEMBER 17th.

HERE'S A LOOK.

>> KEN DON, WELCOME TO THE

PROGRAM.

HONOR TO HAVE YOU HERE.

>> GREAT TO BE HERE.

>> THANK YOU.

>> THOUSANDS OF BOOKS HAVE BEEN

WRITTEN ABOUT THE VIETNAM WAR,

DOZENS OF FILMS HAVE BEEN MADE

ABOUT IT.

SO WHY THIS 18-HOUR DOCUMENTARY

AND WHY NOW?

>> WE THOUGHT LONG AND HARD

ABOUT DECIDING TO PLUNGE INTO

THIS STORY AS PAINFUL AS IT IS

BUT WE FEEL THIS IS A PERFECT

TIME TO TAKE A NEW LOOK AT THE

VIETNAM WAR.

IT'S PERHAPS THE MOST IMPORTANT

EVENT THAT'S HAPPENED IN

AMERICAN HISTORY SINCE WORLD WAR

II AND THE MOST MISUNDERSTOOD

AND THE LEAST ACCEPTABLE.

WE HAVEN'T FIGURED OUT HOW TO

GET OR ARMS AROUND IT.

WE'VE SPENT THE LAST TEN YEARS

TRYING TO FIGURE IT OUT.

WE HAVE ASKED A LOT OF QUESTIONS

AND WE THINK WE'RE GOING TO

ENGAGE A REALLY INTERESTING

CONVERSATION WITH THE COUNTRY

WHEN THIS COMES OUT.

>> YEAH, I THINK LYNN IS EXACTLY

RIGHT.

SOMEHOW ALL OF THE DIVISIONS

THAT WE EXPERIENCE TODAY, NOBODY

LIKES THAT DIVISION.

YOU KNOW, THERE ARE A FEW PEOPLE

THAT PROFIT FROM IT BUT MOST OF

US HATE THE DIVISION.

BEGAN, THIS SET OF DIVISIONS

BEGAN WITH VIETNAM.

IF IT WAS POSSIBLE TO GO BACK

AND UNRAVEL THE THREAD OR UNPACK

WHAT HAPPENED AND REPACK IT WITH

A GENEROUS EYE TOWARDS

PERMITTING EVERYBODY'S VIEWS TO

COEXIST AND ASK MORE QUESTIONS

AND PROVIDE ANSWERS AND REMEMBER

THAT SOMETIMES THE THING IN THE

OPPOSITE OF A THING COULD BE

TRUE.

AND WE FOUND THAT IN VIETNAM.

IF THIS IS A VIRUS THAT HAS

INFECTED WAS, PERHAPS THE FILM

COULD SERVE AS A VACCINE AND

HELP US UNDERSTAND WHAT HAPPENED

AND PERHAPS IN THE PROCESS BRING

US A LITTLE CLOSER TOGETHER.

>> IS THAT WHAT YOU HEEN WHEN

YOU SAY THAT VIETNAM CHANGED THE

COUNTRY SO PROFOUNDLY, THAT THE

EFFECTS ARE STILL BEING FELT

TODAY?

IS IT THOSE DIVISIONS?

>> WE FEEL IT EVERY DAY IN THE

FAKE NEWS, THE LACK OF TRUST IN

THE GOVERNMENT, THE KIND OF LACK

OF CIVILITY IN OUR DISCOURSE.

ALL OF THESE THINGS BEGAN WITH

VIETNAM.

IT WAS JUST WHAT HAPPENED.

AND WHAT WE WANT TO DO -- YOU

HAVE TO UNDERSTAND, LYNN AND I

DIDN'T SET OUT TO SPEND TEN

YEARS WORKING ON A PROJECT TO DO

WHAT WE JUST SAID.

THIS IS WHAT WE HOPE ONCE IT'S

DONE.

WHAT WE WANTED TO DO IS TELL A

REALLY COMPLICATED STORY.

WE WANTED TO COME TO TERMS WITH

THIS SORT OF UNBELIEVABLE MANY

POINTS OF VIEW WITH DOZENS AND

DOZENS, NEARLY 100 CHARACTERS

THAT WOULD BRING TO LIFE.

FOR THE FIRST TIME WE HAVE NORTH

VIETNAMESE CHARACTERS, NORTH

VIETNAMESE CIVILIANS AND SOUTH

VIETNAMESE CIVILIANS AND DOZENS

OF AMERICANS AND PERMIT NOT JUST

THE PERSPECTIVE THAT THE LAST

40, 50 YEARS HAVE PERMITTED US

TO HAVE, BUT ALSO TO TRIANGULATE

BETWEEN THESE DIFFERENT VIEWS.

WE'VE GOT A BATTLE IN WHICH

WE'VE GOT ONE LOOKING THROUGH

THE HEDGE ROW AT AN AMERICAN

ADVISER THAT WE'VE ALSO

INTERVIEWED AND HIS SOUTH

VIETNAMESE COUNTER PART WHO

WE'VE ALSO INTERVIEWED.

AND ALL OF THE SUDDEN YOU KIND

OF GO -- AS FALL NER SAID,

HISTORY IS NOT WAS BUT IS.

THIS BECOMES IN A WAY OUR MOST

IMMERSIVE WORK.

>> ONE OF THE THINGS THAT STRUCK

ME ABOUT THIS WAS SOME OF THE

INFORMATION FROM THE NORTH

VIETNAMESE THAT I HAD NEVER

HEARD BEFORE.

BUT IN THE DOCUMENTARY,

DON'T HAVE THE USUAL SCHOLARS.

IT'S THOSE WHO OPPOSED THE WAR,

INCREDIBLE ARCHIVAL FOOTAGE.

WHY DID YOU LEAVE THE EXPERTS

OUT?

>> IT WAS A CONSCIOUS DECISION

THAT WE MADE AND I THINK WE FEEL

IT REALLY HELPED THE FILM

BECAUSE YOU'RE THERE WITH THE

PEOPLE WHO LIVED THROUGH IT.

AND WE HAVE MANY EXPERTS AND

PEOPLE WHO HAVE STUDIED THIS

SUBJECT, EVERY PECK SPECULATIVE

AND THEY'VE HELPED US BEHIND THE

SCENES, HELPING US MAKE SURE WE

GET THE STORY RIGHT.

THE PEOPLE YOU HEAR FROM ON THE

SCREEN ARE THE WITNESSES WHO

EXPERIENCED THE WAR ON EVERY

SIDE, AS KEN WAS SAYING, FROM

EVERY PERSPECTIVE.

BECAUSE THEY'RE THE AGE THEY

ARE, BECAUSE OF THE TIME THAT

HAS PASSED W, BECAUSE OF THE

PEOPLE WE CHOSE, THEY REALLY

KIND OF RELIVE IT.

THEY REEXPERIENCE IT IN MANY

CASES AND YET THEY'RE ALSO, AS

KEN WAS SAYING, TRIANGULATING.

THEY'RE THINKING ABOUT WHAT THEY

FEEL NOW AND WHAT THEY FELT

THEN.

YOU'RE IN THIS INTERESTING

RELATIONSHIP TO TIME AND

EXPERIENCE.

FOR US AS FILMMAKERS WATCHING

IT'S IMMERSIVE BECAUSE YOU

REALLY CAN'T IMAGINE WHAT IT WAS

LIKE TO BE IN THAT MOMENT.

AND THAT'S THE ONLY WAY TO DO

THAT THAT WE KNOW IS TO HEAR

FROM THE PEOPLE WHO WERE THERE.

>> AND I THINK VIEWERS ARE GOING

TO BE SURPRISED WHEN THEY HEAR

THE NORTH VIETNAMESE SOLDIER

VETERANS.

FOR EXAMPLE, NOBODY WAS CROWING.

NOBODY WAS SAYING WE WON, YOU

LOST.

THERE'S A SEEN WHEN YOU TALK TO

A NORTH VIETNAMESE SOLDIER AND

HE SAID NOBODY ONE.

WE ALL LOST THAT WAR.

>> THE FIRST CASUALTY OF THE WAR

IS THE TRUTH.

REALLY TRUE.

BUT A REAL CASUALTY IS THE

HUMANITY OF THE OTHER.

IN ORDER TO FIGHT A WAR YOU HAVE

TO CONVINCE YOURSELF THAT

THEY'RE NOT LIKE PEOPLE LIKE YOU

AND ME.

WHAT I THINK THE FILM HAS DONE

IS SHOWN THAT THAT'S TRUE ON

EVERY SIDE.

ESSENTIALLY HUMAN NATURE NEVER

CHANGES AND HUMAN BEINGS ARE

ALWAYS GO TO WAR I'M SORRY TO

SAY, OUT OF THIS CRUCIBLE IT'S

POSSIBLE NOT JUST TO FOCUS ON A

WAR SUCH AS VIETNAM HAS A LITTLE

REDEEMABLE ASPECTS, CIVIL WAR IS

THE SUBJECT OF ANOTHER FILM WE

WORKED ON WITHIN ENDED SLAVERY

AND BROUGHT THE COUNTRY

TOGETHER.

WORLD WAR II ENDED FASCISM

SUPPOSEDLY.

AND THIS ONE YOU CAN'T REALLY

FIND IT.

BUT YOU FIND IT IN THE STORIES.

>> WELL, THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR

JOINING US TODAY AND THANK YOU

SO MUCH FOR THIS INCREDIBLE

PIECE OF WORK THAT YOU'VE

CREATED.

THANK YOU.

>> THANK YOU FOR HAVING US.

>> FOR MORE THAN SIX DECADES THE

LEGENDARY DIRECTOR AND PRODUCER

HAL PRINCE HAS BEEN RESPONSIBLE

FOR SOME OF BROADSWAY'S BEST

KNOWN AND BEST LOVED MUSICALS.

AMONG THEM SUCH CLASSICS AS

CABARET, WEST SIDE STORY,

FIDDLER ON THE ROOF, PHANTOM OF

THE OPERA, SWINGING TODD, EVITA

AND MANY MANY MORE.

NOW PRINCE IS BACK ON THE GREAT

WHITE WAY TO CELEBRATE HIS OWN

LIFE, AN AMAZING BODY OF WORK IN

A NEW MUSICAL APPROPRIATELY

HITTED "PRINCE OF BROADWAY"

FEATURING SONGS FROM MANY OF THE

SHOWS THAT EARNED PRINCE A

RECORD 2 IS TONY AWARDS.

HERE'S A LOOK.

>>> AND JOINING ME NOW TO TALK

ABOUT HIS NEW SHOW AND HIS

INCOMPARABLE CAREER IS HAL

PRINCE.

WELCOME TO "METROFOCUS."

>> THANK YOU.

>> WHAT AN HONOR IT IS TO HAVE

YOU HERE.

>> I'M HAPPY TO BE HERE.

>> BY THE WAY, I SAW "PRINCE OF

BROADWAY" THIS WEEKEND.

WHAT A GREAT SHOW.

>> GOOD.

>> STANDING OVATION OBVIOUSLY.

>> THAT'S NICE.

VERY WELCOMING AUDIENCES.

EVERY SINGLE PERFORMANCE.

AND YOU KNOW, WORD OF MOUTH IS

SWELL, WHICH IS THE BEST.

>> LISTEN, I WAS READING THROUGH

THE REVIEWS AND NOT A COMPLAINT

SO MUCH BUT A REGRET THAT RAN

THROUGH SOME OF THE REVIEWS WAS

THAT FOR A REVIEW THAT'S CALLED

"PRINCE OF BROADWAY" THERE

WASN'T ENOUGH HAL PRINCE IN IT.

THERE WASN'T ENOUGH OF THE

THREE-DIMENSIONAL MAN WHO MADE

THE GREAT WORK.

>> CAN YOU THINK OF ANYTHING

MORE BORING THAN A DIRECTOR OR

PRODUCER DISCUSSING WHAT HE

DOES?

NOBODY CARES.

THAT WAS SOME OF THE CRITICS WHO

MADE THAT COMMENT, THEY'RE JUST

LOOKING FOR SOMETHING TO SAY.

BECAUSE OBVIOUSLY I DON'T

THINK -- THE SHOW WASN'T DONE TO

TALK ABOUT HOW I DIRECT SHOWS.

I WOULDN'T EVEN NOW HOW TO

EXPLAIN THAT.

AND SO BASICALLY IT WAS DONE

JUST TO REVISIT ALL OF THE SWELL

MATERIAL AND SEE IF AUDIENCES

STILL RESPOND TO IT.

AND WE HAVE OLDER AUDIENCES WHO

ARE MANHATTAN THEATER CLUB

REGULARS AND YOUNG AUDIENCES WHO

WANT TO BE IN THE THEATER AND

HAVE THE LIFE I HAD.

>> THAT WAS THE MIX OF THE

AUDIENCE WHEN I WAS THERE, YOU

KNOW, OLD AND YOUNG.

BUT YOU KNOW, I FOUND THAT

CRITICISM ODD BECAUSE THERE ARE

INTERSTITIALS BETWEEN THE

NUMBERS WHERE ALTER EGOS PLAYED

BY ALL OF THE CAST PEOPLE, MEN

AND WOMEN, REPRESENTING YOU.

THERE'S ONE THING, THE FIRST

THING THAT CAUGHT ME IS WHEN

YOUR ALTER EGO SAYS -- AND I

THINK YOU ATTRIBUTE IT TO YOUR

WIFE.

THAT THERE'S A DIFFERENCE

BETWEEN --

>> I DO.

>> -- AND A SUCCESS AND A

FAILURE.

>> IT'S MY WIFE WHO SAID IT AND

SHE SAID IT AROUND THE TIME OF

"SWEENEY."

SHE HAD ALMOST 20 YEARS OF MY

SAYING OH NO, THAT WAS A FLOP.

AND SHE GOT ANNOYED BECAUSE SHE

SAID, YOU KNOW WHAT, YOU

REALLY -- IT'S HIGH TIME YOU

REALIZE THAT SOME OF YOUR FLOPS

WERE YOUR MOST SUCCESSFUL

ARTISTICALLY AND SOME OF YOUR

HITS WERE NOT SO SUCCESSFUL

ARTISTICALLY.

AND I THOUGHT THAT'S A VERY WISE

THING TO SAY TO ME.

AND I'VE NEVER FORGOTTEN IT.

AND IT'S MADE THE FREEDOM OF

PICKING MATERIAL EVEN EASIER,

BECAUSE YOU DON'T TRY TO DO A

HIT.

YOU TRY TO DO WHAT MATTERS TO

YOU.

>> ANOTHER THING THAT YOUR ALTER

EGO SAYS, WHICH SURPRISED ME,

THAT YOU HAD EIGHT FLOPS IN A

ROW.

>> YEAH.

>> HOW HOW DO YOU OVERCOME

SOMETHING LIKE THAT, NOT JUST

PSYCHOLOGICALLY BUT FINANCIALLY?

>> WELL, YOU KNOW, EVERYBODY

THINKS BECAUSE YOU HAVE A LOT OF

HITS THAT YOU GET VERY RICH.

IT DOESN'T HAPPEN ON BROADWAY.

IT HAPPENS ELSEWHERE, I SUPPOSE

ON TELEVISION, NOT HERE.

>> NO, NOT HERE.

>> AND IN FILM.

BUT IN ANY CASE, THE TRUTH IS

YOU PERSIST AND THE HITS THAT I

DID HAVE WERE VERY GENEROUS IN

THOSE TERMS.

SO OF COURSE IT SAW ME THROUGH.

ALSO, I DIDN'T HAVE "EVITA"

RUNNING WHICH WAS A BACKUP AND

PROTECTION WHEN THE BAD YEARS

HAPPENED.

AND THEN YOU JUST WAIT, BECAUSE

EITHER YOU LOVE WHAT YOU'RE

DOING OR STOP DOING IT.

AND I JUST -- I DON'T THINK MUCH

ABOUT THE PAST.

>> THE CONCLUDING SONG WHICH IS

AN ORIGINAL SONG, YOU JUST KEEP

DOING THE WORK.

>> I LOVE THAT.

JASON ROBERT BROWN WROTE IT AND

IT'S CALLED "DO THE WORK, PAL."

THAT'S ALL THAT IT'S ABOUT.

IT'S ABOUT WORKING.

>> LISTEN, YOU ARE KNOWN FOR

DOING CONTROVERSIAL AND EDGY

SUBJECTS FOR MUSICALS.

WHAT WAS THE MOST CONTROVERSIAL

SHOW YOU DID, YOU THINK IN.

>> WELL, I SUPPOSE -- I DON'T

KNOW.

THERE ARE A BUNCH OF THEM.

YOU WOULD THINK THAT "EVITA"

WOULD BE CONTROVERSIAL.

IT WAS ABOUT, AFTER ALL FASCIST

DICTATORSHIP AND THE AUDIENCE

LOVED IT AND THEY LOVED THE

MATERIAL IN LONDON WITH ANDREW

LLOYD WEBER AND TIM RICE.

I'M TALKING IN CIRCLES.

THE POINT IS THAT SEEMED

CONTROVERSIAL.

CERTAINLY "SWEENEY TODD" IS

CONTROVERSIAL.

>> ABOUT A MASS MURDERER.

>> SO IT TOOK FOREVER TO PAY OFF

BUT IT ULTIMATELY WAS A SUCCESS.

I SUPPOSE "WEST SIDE STORY" AS

MUCH AS ANY SOOEMD

CONTROVERSIAL.

CONTROVERSIAL ENOUGH FOR THE

ORIGINAL PROCEED E E EER -- PRO

TO DROP IT AND WE WERE LUCKY

ENOUGH TO JUMP AND GRAB IT AND

DO IT.

>> YOU'VE BEEN AT THIS FOR OVER

60 YEARS.

HOW HAS BROADWAY CHANGED FROM

YOUR FIRST 10, 20, 30 YEARS TO

THE WAY IT IS NOW.

>> THE MAIN ANSWER IS COSTS SO

ESCALATED.

YOU COULD DO A MUSICAL LIKE

"FIDDLER ON THE ROOF" FOR

$350,000 AND TODAY IT WOULD COST

$15 MILLION.

AND SO THE FREEDOM TO DO

WHATEVER YOU WANTED WAS THERE

FOR YOU BECAUSE YOU WEREN'T

RISKING A GREAT DEAL OF

INVESTOR'S MONEY.

NOW IF YOU'RE DOING SOMETHING

THAT COSTS $10 MILLION OR $15

MILLION, EVERYBODY WORRIES, AM I

GOING TO GET MY INVESTMENT BACK.

OR MANY PEOPLE WORRY.

SO THAT CHANGES YOUR

DECISION-MAKING PROCESS WHEN YOU

CHOOSE A NEW SHOW AND THE

MATERIAL FOR A NEW SHOW.

HAPPILY I'VE AVOIDED THAT

BECAUSE I'VE BEEN AROUND SO DAMN

LONG AND I'M NOT TEMPTED TO

WORRY ABOUT THOSE THINGS.

>> ALL RIGHT.

HAL, I TELL YOU, AGAIN, IT'S AN

HONOR.

>> PLEASURE.

>> THANK YOU SIR.

>> I ENJOYED YOUR QUESTIONS.

>> "PRINCE OF BROADWAY" IS

PLAYING AT THE SAMUEL J.

THEATER.

LOG ON TO METROFOCUS.ORG.

>>> 200 YEARS AGO SURVEYORS AND

EK K

EXCAVATORS BEGAN CONSTRUCTION ON

THE ERIE CANAL.

AND IT'S THE REASON WE CALLED

NEW YORK THE EMPIRE STATE.

THE CELEBRATE THE AERIE CANAL'S

NARRATED BY DAVID MUIR, ANCHOR

OF NBC WORLD NEWS TONIGHT.

HERE'S A SNEAK PEEK.

>> PEOPLE TODAY WHEN THEY THINK

CANAL, THEY THINK THE HEYDAY.

>> A TRIUMPH OF AMERICAN

INGENUITY FEW THOUGHT COULD BE

BUILT CHANGED THE WORLD.

>> HERE THEY ARE DIGGING A

TRENCH WITH THINGS THAT MOST

AMERICANS WOULD LOOK AT IN

SHUDDERS.

>> THE ERIE CANAL IS NOT A LOCAL

STORY.

IT HAS RAMIFICATIONS GLOBALLY.

>> JOIN US FOR ERIE THE CANAL,

MADE IN AMERICA.

>> TREASURES OF NEW YORK ERIE,

THE CANAL THAT MADE AMERICA AIRS

TONIGHT THURSDAY AT 8:00 ON WLIW

AND THIS THURSDAY NIGHT AT 7:00

ON 13.

>>> AND BEFORE WE SAY GOOD NIGHT

WE OFFER YOU A GIFT.

NOW YOU CAN TAKE "METROFOCUS"

WITH YOU ANYWHERE ANYTIME.

IT'S SIMPLE AND FREE.

DOWNLOAD THE "METROFOCUS" APP

AVAILABLE FOR iPHONE AND ANDROID

AND WHEN YOU DO YOU'LL GET THE

LATEST NEWS, WEATHER AND TRAFFIC

FOR THE ENTIRE METRO AREA.

IT'S ALL JUST A CLICK AWAY AND

DID WE MENTION THAT IT'S FREE?

IN THE MEANTIME, FOLLOW US ON

FACEBOOK AND TWITTER FOR UP TO

THE MINUTE INFORMATION IMPACTING

OUR COMMUNITY.

WE'LL SEE YOU AGAIN TOMORROW.

>>> FUNDING FOR THE PROGRAM WAS

PROVIDED BY --

>> CORPORATE FUNDING FOR

"METROFOCUS" WAS PROVIDED BY

MUTUAL OF AMERICA, YOUR

RETIREMENT COMPANY.

AND BY PSE AND G, SERVING

CUSTOMERS, STRENGTHENING THE

BUSINESS COMMUNITY AND INVESTING

IN THE FUTURE.

♪ TWO MAJOR FUNDING FOR NJTV