MetroFocus

FULL EPISODE

MetroFocus: October 25, 2017

Bestselling author and journalist Matt Taibbi takes us inside the case of Eric Garner's death, as detailed in his new book “I Can’t Breathe: A Killing on Bay Street.” Three years ago, Joan Lunden told the world she had breast cancer. Tonight, she shares the details of her battle and her survival. Bill Nye “The Science Guy” is back! Let us introduce you to the “real” man behind the microscope.

AIRED: October 25, 2017 | 0:26:48
ABOUT THE PROGRAM
TRANSCRIPT

>>> TONIGHT ON "METROFOCUS" --

BEYOND THE CHOKE HOLD.

ERIC GARNER'S DEATH HELPED GIVE

RISE TO THE BLACK LIVES MATTER

MOVEMENT AND EXEMPLIFY THE

TENSION BETWEEN PEOPLE OF COLOR

AND LAW ENFORCEMENT ACROSS

AMERICA.

WE DIG DEEP INTO THE ROOTS AND

REPERCUSSIONS OF THAT TRAGIC

DEATH WITH BEST SELLING AUTHOR.

>>> JOAN LUNDEN TOLD THE WORLD

SHE HAD BREAST CANCER.

TONIGHT SHE SHARES HER STORY.

>>> AND BILL NYE THE SCIENCE GUY

IS BACK.

ALL THAT AND MORE AS

"METROFOCUS" STARTS RIGHT NOW.

THIS IS "METROFOCUS" WITH RAFAEL

PI ROMAN, JACK FORD AND JENNA

FLANGON.

FUNDING FOR THIS PROGRAM WAS

PROVIDED BY -- CORPORATE FUNDING

FOR "METROFOCUS" WAS PROVIDED BY

MUTUAL OF AMERICA, YOUR

RETIREMENT COMPANY.

AND BY SPE&G, SERVING CUSTOMERS,

STRENGTHENING THE BUSINESS

COMMUNITY AND INVESTING IN THE

FUTURE.

>> I CAN'T BREATHE.

I CAN'T BREATHE.

I CAN'T BREATHE.

>> I CAN'T BREATHE, THE LAST

WORDS OF ERIC GARNER.

THE STATEN ISLAND MAN WHO WHILE

DETAINED FOR SELLING ILLEGAL

CIGARETTES PLED FOR HIS LIFE AS

HE WAS PLACED IN AN ILLEGAL

CHOKE HOLD.

HE DIED.

WELCOME TO "METROFOCUS."

ERIC GARNER BECAME ONE OF THE

GROWING LIST OF PEOPLE KILLED BY

POLICE AND I CAN'T BREATHE

BECAME A NATIONAL RALLYING CRY

FOR BLACK AMERICANS SEEKING

JUSTICE REFORM IN WHAT WAS

PERCEIVED AS YET ANOTHER EXAMPLE

OF POLICE BRUTALITY.

I CAN'T BREATHE IS THE TITLE OF

MATT TAIBI'S NEW BOOK.

THE BOOK NOT ONLY INVESTIGATES

DETAILS SURROUNDING THE CASE

WHICH GAVE BIRTH TO THE BLACK

LIVES MATTER MOVEMENT BUT

EXPLORES WHO ERIC GARNER WAS AS

A PERSON AND DECONSTRUCTS MANY

FACTORS.

HE IS ONE OF THE MOST EXCITING

AND OPINIONATED YOUNG

JOURNALISTS WORKING TODAY AND I

AM PLEASED TO WELCOME HIM TO THE

SHOW.

WELCOME TO THE PROGRAM.

>> THANK YOU FOR HAVING ME.

>> YOUNG BOY OUR STANDARDS.

BUT MORE IMPORTANTLY THIS BOOK

"I CAN'T BREATHE" IS REALLY AN

IN DEPTH LOOK AT THIS SITUATION

IN ITS ENTIRETY.

VERY OFTEN WE WERE GETTING

CLIPS.

I'M WONDERING WHAT TOOK YOU FROM

HEARING THE STORY IN THE NEWS AS

IT WAS PRESENTED TO ACTUALLY

GOING TO STATEN ISLAND TO

RESEARCH THIS BOOK.

>> I NEVER INTENDED TO WRITE A

BOOK ABOUT THIS SUBJECT.

WHEN THE GRAND JURY CAME DOWN

WITH THE DECISION NOT TO INDICT

THE POLICE OFFICERS IF YOU

REMEMBER THERE WAS FURE IN THE

CITY.

I JUST DROVE OVER THERE OUT OF

CURIOUSITY AND DECIDED TO START

TALKING TO PEOPLE ON THE STREET

ABOUT WHAT THEY WERE FEELING AND

THINKING.

PEOPLE STARTED TO TELL ME

STORIES ABOUT ERIC GARNER THE

PERSON.

I THOUGHT HE WAS FUNNY,

CONTRADICTORY.

I ENDED UP SORT OF CREATING A

KIND OF BIOGRAPHY PROJECT OUT OF

IT.

FROM THERE IT TURNED INTO HOW

DID THIS PERSON WHO IS SUCH AN

INTERESTING BUT FLAWED PERSON,

WHAT HAPPENED TO HIM?

WHY DID HE DIE?

HOW UNNECESSARY IT WAS?

THAT IS HOW I CAME TO BE WRITING

IT.

>> IT IS INTERESTING YOU SAY YOU

WERE INTERESTED IN HIM VERSUS

THE SITUATION.

IT SEEMS ALMOST AS IF YOU CAN'T

SEPARATE THE TWO, THE PERSON HE

WAS VERSUS TIMES AND

CIRCUMSTANCES THAT HE LIVED

UNDER.

I'M MORE INTERESTED IN WHAT WE

SEEM TO LOSE IN A LOT OF THESE

STORIES IS WHO THIS PERSON WAS.

TELL ME A LITTLE ABOUT WHAT YOU

LEARNED ABOUT ERIC GARNER THE

MAN.

>> HE WAS A REALLY INTERESTING

GUY.

WHEN I WENT UP TO THE STREET

EVERYBODY HAD A STORY ABOUT ERIC

GARNER.

HE HAD A FUNNY VOICE AND

EVERYBODY DOES AN IMPERSONATION

OF HIM.

HE WAS ARGUMENTIVE.

HE WOULD RATTLE OFF SPORTS

STATISTICS AND DARE PEOPLE TO

LOOK IT UP AND FIND IF HE WAS

WRONG.

HE WAS ALWAYS RIGHT, NEVER WRONG

ABOUT ANYTHING.

HE WAS A HEROIC EATER AND WOULD

FOLD PIZZAS IN HALF AND EAT THEM

LIKE TACOS.

HE WAS DEVOTED FAMILY MAN,

COMPLETELY ABOUT HIS KIDS.

HE HAD SIX CHILDREN AND HE HAD A

WEIRD QUIRK TO HIS PERSONALITY

WHERE HIS CLOTHES WOULD

LITERALLY FALL OFF HIS BODY.

EVERY DOLLAR HE MADE IN THE

STREET HE GAVE TO HIS KIDS AND

THAT WAS JUST ONE OF THE WEIRD

DETAILS THAT MADE UP WHO THIS

GUY WAS.

HE WAS ON THE WRONG SIDE OF THE

LAW FOR MUCH OF HIS LIFE ON THE

ONE HAND.

ON THE OTHER HAND HE HAD A GOOD

HEART.

EVERYBODY LIKED HIM.

HE WASN'T VIOLENT.

HE WAS COMPLICATE SKPD

INTERESTING AND THAT'S WHY I

FOUND MYSELF ATTRACTED TO HIS

STORY.

>> TELL ME A LITTLE BIT ABOUT

THE FORCES THAT LED TO THE

SITUATION.

FIRST OF ALL, THE BOOK ALMOST

MAKES IT SEEM LIKE AS TRAGIC AS

IT WAS IT WAS ALMOST INEVITABLE

THAT ERIC GARNER WOULD HAVE DIED

IN THIS WAY AT THE HANDS OF THE

POLICE.

>> ONE OF MR. GARNER'S

CHARACTERISTICS IS HE HAD ROTTEN

LUCK THROUGHOUT HIS LIFE.

HE WAS ALMOST LIKE THE ZALEGA OF

MODERN ERA OF POLICING

INNOVATIONS.

HE WAS A CRACK DEALER AT THE

TIME THAT WE WERE MAKING CRACK

DEALERS PUBLIC ENEMY NUMBER ONE.

HE WAS BEING SENTENCED TO PRISON

HERE IN NEW YORK STATE WHEN NEW

YORK WAS AT THE CENTER OF THE

MASS INCARCERATION BOOM.

WHEN WE SWITCHED POLICING

STRATEGIES TO BROKEN WINDOWS

THEORY WHICH HEAVILY EMPHASIZED

GOING AFTER MINOR CRIMINALS THAT

IS THE MOMENT WHEN HE SWITCHED

FROM DRUG DEALING TO DEALING

CIGARETTES AND BECAME

ESSENTIALLY A MINOR SORT OF

CRIMINAL ON THE STREETS.

HE ATTRACTED A DISPROPORTIONATE

AMOUNT OF ATTENTION FROM THE

POLICE BECAUSE OF THAT.

THROUGHOUT HIS LIFE HE WAS

ALWAYS SORT OF WALKING INTO THE

BUZZ SAW OF THE NEW POLICING

STRATEGIES.

AT THE END HE HAD SO MANY

CONTACTS WITH THE POLICE THAT IT

BECAME THE CENTRAL FACT OF HIS

LIFE.

AND I THINK WHAT FINALLY

HAPPENED IN THE END IS THAT HE

WASN'T EVEN SELLING CIGARETTES

THAT DAY.

>> THAT WAS THE MOST FASCINATING

PART THAT I FOUND OUT.

>> I TALKED TO OVER 20 PEOPLE

THERE THAT DAY AND NOT ONE

PERSON REMEMBERS HIM SELLING A

CIGARETTE.

HE WAS FEELING UNWELL, WAS IN

THE BATHROOM, CAME OUT OF THE

BATHROOM, BROKE UP A FIGHT AND

HE WAS WINDED.

HE WAS LEANING AGAINST THE WALL

CATCHING HIS BREATH WHEN THE

POLICE CAME AFTER HIM AND

DECIDED TO PICK HIM UP.

YOU CAN SEE ON THE TAPE IF YOU

WATCH IT SORT OF THIS

BEWILDERMENT IN HIS EYES BECAUSE

HE CAN'T PROCESS THE FACT THAT

THEY WANT TO TAKE HIM IN AT THE

ONE MOMENT IN HIS LIFE WHEN HE

IS NOT DOING ANYTHING.

THAT'S PART OF THE SUBTEXT AND

THE DYNAMIC OF THE WHOLE

INCIDENT IS THAT HE WASN'T

ACTUALLY GUILTY OF THE CRIME.

>> TELL ME A LITTLE ABOUT THE

PROCESS THAT HAPPENED AFTERWARDS

BECAUSE I UNDERSTAND THAT THIS

WAS A VERY CONTROVERSIAL POLICE

PRECINCT THAT GARNER WAS IN OR

THAT HE WAS STOPPED IN AND ALSO

THE FACT THAT THE DISTRICT

ATTORNEY DECIDED NOT TO PRESS

CHARGES.

>> YEAH, SO ONE OF THE THINGS

THAT WAS REALLY SURPRISING TO ME

AS A REPORTER AS I DISCOVERED

RESEARCHING THIS, THE WHOLE

PROCESS OF TAKING THESE CASES TO

GRAND JURIES -- IN NEW YORK CITY

EVERY FELONY CASE HAS TO BE

HEARD BY A GRAND JURY.

NORMALLY THEY HAVE STANDING

GRAND JURIES.

THEY SIT THERE AND HEAR MULTIPLE

CASES A DAY.

IF YOU HAVE A STABBING THE COPS

WILL BRING IN MAYBE THE VICTIM,

THE WEAPON, ONE WITNESS.

THEY WILL GO IN.

GRAND JURY WILL TALK IT OVER.

TWO HOURS LATER THERE IS AN

INDICTMENT.

THAT'S THE WAY IT USUALLY

HAPPENS.

IN THIS CASE THEY CONVENED A

SPECIAL GRAND JURY THAT ONLY

HEARD THIS CASE.

INSTEAD OF DOING IT IN A FEW

HOURS, THEY TOOK MONTHS TO

CONSIDER THE CASE.

THEY HAD 50 WITNESSES COME IN.

THE SUSPICION IS BY EVERYBODY

WHO WAS SORT OF INVOLVED IN THE

ACTIVIST COMMUNITY SURROUNDING

THIS CASE IS THAT ESSENTIALLY

THE D.A. PUT ON A DEFENSE CASE

INSTEAD OF TRYING TO SEEK AN

INDICTMENT.

WHEN I LOOKED AT IT I FOUND THAT

THERE WAS A PATTERN OF CASES

INVOLVING POLICE DEATHS OR

POLICE SHOOTINGS DATING BACK TO

THE '60s, THE FAMOUS RISE OF

1964 A KID NAMED JAMES POWELL

WAS KILLED BY THE POLICE,

EXACTLY THE SAME PATTERN.

GRAND JURY THAT TOOK MONTHS HAD

DOZENS OF WITNESSES.

IN THE '90s ANOTHER GUY IN

STATEN ISLAND, SAME THING, GRAND

JURY TOOK SEVEN MONTHS, LOTS OF

WITNESSES, NO INDICTMENT.

IT'S A PATTERN, A TRICK WHAT

THEY USE, I THINK, TO NOT INDICT

POLICE OFFICERS.

>> WHAT IS IT YOU WANT READERS

TO TAKE AWAY FROM THIS?

WHAT IS THE LESSON TO LEARN

ABOUT ERIC GARNER?

>> ONE OF THE THINGS THAT

HAPPENS WITH THESE CASES IS THAT

PEOPLE COMPARTMENTALIZE THEM

IMMEDIATELY.

WE ARE TRAINED TO HAVE EMOTIONAL

RESPONSES, IMMEDIATELY HAVE

OPINIONS AND THEN WE SORT OF

TUCK THEM AWAY IN THE CORNER OF

OUR MINDS AND FORGET ABOUT THEM.

IN THIS CASE WITH THESE POLICE

BRUTALITY CASES WE REMEMBER THE

NAMES, SOMETIMES REMEMBER THE

POLICE OFFICERS.

AND IN THE MINDS OF MANY PEOPLE

WHO READ THE STORIES IT IS JUST

A STORY ABOUT BAD COPS WHO GO

UNPUNISHED.

WHAT I HOPE PEOPLE TAKE AWAY

FROM IS THERE IS A HUGE

BUREAUCRATIC POLITICAL SYSTEM

THAT RESTS BEHIND THIS PROBLEM

AND IT HAS TO DO ESSENTIALLY

WITH I THINK WHITE URBAN VOTERS

WHO DON'T WANT WHITE AND

HISPANIC MEN IN THEIR

NEIGHBORHOODS.

THAT'S THE SUBTEXT OF POLICING

STRATEGIES DESIGNED TO HELP GIVE

POLICE THE TOOLS TO KEEP PEOPLE

FROM GOING ACROSS CERTAIN LINES.

I THINK UNTIL PEOPLE CAN

CONFRONT THAT FACT, THIS PROBLEM

WILL CONTINUE TO HAPPEN.

THERE WILL CONTINUE TO BE MORE

AND MORE INCIDENTS BETWEEN THE

POLICE AND YOUNG MEN OF COLOR.

>> SO HOLDING UP A MIRROR TO

SOCIETY.

MATT, THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR

WRITING THIS BOOK, RESEARCHING

IT AND PUTTING A MORE HUMAN FACE

ON ERIC GARNER AND JOINING US ON

THE SHOW.

>> THANK YOU FOR HAVING ME ON.

>> THANK YOU.

>>> ONE IN EIGHT WOMEN WILL BE

DIAGNOSED WITH BREAST CANCER

DURING THEIR LIFETIME.

WHILE WE KNOW SOME OF THE

REASONS FOR THE DISEASE THE

GENETIC CAUSES HAVE NOT BEEN

VERY CLEAR UNTIL NOW.

ACCORDING TO TWO STUDIES

RECENT

LY PUBLISHED RESEARCHERS FROM

AROUND THE WORLD HAVE DISCOVERED

72 PREVIOUSLY UNKNOWN GENE

MUTATIONS THAT LEAD TO THE

DEVELOPMENT OF BREAST CANCER.

THEIR FINDINGS MAY HELP IDENTIFY

A SMALL PORTION OF WOMEN WHO ARE

AT THE THREE TIMES INCREASED

RISK OF DEVELOPING THE DEADLY

DISEASE.

THOUGH SCIENCE OFFERS HOPE IN

ONE DAY COMBATTING THE ILLNESS

FOR WOMEN LIVING WITH IT IT IS A

DAILY FIGHT FOR LIFE.

UNLESS YOU ARE A SURVIVOR THERE

ARE SIMPLY SOME THINGS ABOUT

BREAST CANCER THAT YOU CAN'T

KNOW OR UNDERSTAND.

FORMER GOOD MORNING AMERICA HOST

JOAN LUNDEN WAS DIAGNOSED IN

2014.

SHE IS NOW CANCER FREE AND READY

TO TELL HER STORY OF SURVIVAL.

WELCOME TO THE PROGRAM.

>> MY PLEASURE TO BE WITH YOU.

>> AN HONOR TO HAVE YOU HERE.

WE ARE HUGE FANS AND SO MANY

PEOPLE HAVE FOLLOWED YOUR STORY

FROM WHEN YOU FIRST GOT YOUR

DIAGNOSIS.

I WANT YOU TO TAKE ME BACK TO

THAT MOMENT.

WHAT WENT THROUGH YOUR MIND WHEN

YOU HEARD THOSE TWO WORDS?

>> I HAVE DONE SO MANY

INTERVIEWS OVER THE YEARS.

ONE IN EIGHT WOMEN WILL BE

DIAGNOSED WITH BREAST CANCER AT

ONE TIME DURING THEIR LIFETIME.

I DIDN'T HAVE IT IN MY FAMILY

HISTORY.

TO BE VERY HONEST, I JUST WAS

KIND OF NONCHALANT ABOUT IT.

I DON'T THINK I EVER INGESTED

THE INFORMATION FROM ALL THE

DIFFERENT CANCER EXPERTS THAT I

INTERVIEWED IN A PERSONAL WAY

THAT IT WAS REALLY GOING TO

EFFECT ME.

I WAS PRETTY SHOCKED WHEN I

HEARD THOSE WORDS.

I HAD A CLEAN 3 D MAMMOGRAM THAT

DAY.

AND THEN I WALKED ACROSS THE

HALL AND HAD AN ULTRASOUND AND

HEARD THE WORDS YOU HAVE CANCER.

I FELT THE COMPELLING NEED TO GO

OUT AND EDUCATE WOMEN AND LET

THEM HEAR MY STORY SO THAT THEY

KNEW THAT THEY NEED TO FIND OUT

IF THEY HAVE VERY DENSE BREASTS.

AND YOU CAN'T TELL JUST BY

FEELING YOUR BREASTS, IT'S

SOMETHING THAT YOU FIND OUT IN A

MAMMOGRAM.

SO I'VE JUST BEEN OUT ON THE

SPEAKING TRAIL FOR THE LAST

THREE YEARS EVER SINCE I WAS

DIAGNOSED TRYING TO HELP EMPOWER

WOMEN WITH INFORMATION.

THAT'S HOW AT HOME WITH JOAN

CAME ABOUT WHICH IS KIND OF A

CLOSED COMMUNITY WHERE PEOPLE

CAN COME IN AND EDUCATE

THEMSELVES AND SOAK UP THE

INFORMATION.

AND I BELIEVE THAT IF WE SHARE

OUR STORIES THAT OTHER PEOPLE

LEARN.

SO I INTERVIEWED A LOT OF

PEOPLE.

AND THOSE INTERVIEWS LIVE ON THE

WEBSITE AS WELL AS, OF COURSE,

INTERVIEWS WITH ONCOLOGISTS AND

ONCOLOGY NURSES.

>> THAT SEEMS LIKE SOMETHING

REALLY CRUCIAL FOR PATIENTS TO

HAVE A PLACE TO GO TO TO LEARN

ALL THE QUESTIONS THEY NEED TO

BE ASKING AND ALL THE DIFFERENT

KINDS OF THERAPIES THAT THEY CAN

GET.

WHY IS IT SO IMPORTANT FOR

PEOPLE TO BE ABLE TO BE THEIR

OWN ADVOCATE?

>> THE GOOD NEWS IS RESEARCH IS

BEING DONE AT SUCH AN AMAZING

RATE, ANSWERS ARE COMING DOWN

THE PIPE, NEW TREATMENTS BEING

MADE AVAILABLE.

WHAT IT MEANS IS THAT IF YOU GET

THIS DIAGNOSIS OR YOU ARE KIND

OF HELPING SOMEONE WHO JUST GOT

THIS DIAGNOSIS, YOU NEED TO GET

A COUPLE OF OPINIONS.

YOU NEED TO EDUCATE YOURSELF AND

LEARN MORE ABOUT YOUR SPECIFIC

DISEASE.

IN BREAST CANCER FOR WOMEN IT'S

VERY COMPLEX BECAUSE IT'S NOT

JUST ONE DISEASE.

IT'S DIFFERENT IN EVERY WOMAN.

SO MAKES IT MUCH MORE DIFFICULT

TO STUDY BREAST CANCER AND TO

COME UP WITH ANSWERS.

BUT THE GOOD NEWS IS THAT IF YOU

CATCH IT EARLY ENOUGH, BREAST

CANCER, YOU HAVE A 99% CHANCE

THAT YOU'LL SURVIVE IT.

THAT'S AMAZING NEWS FOR WOMEN

TODAY.

I HOPE THEY HEAR THAT SO THAT

MANY WOMEN DON'T WANT TO GET A

MAMMOGRAM BECAUSE THEY ARE

AFRAID OF THE ANSWER.

WHAT YOU SHOULD BE AFRAID OF IS

AFRAID OF DYING WHICH TO ME

KNOWLEDGE EMPOWERS US.

CERTAINLY IN THE HEALTH FIELD

KNOWLEDGE REALLY EMPOWERS US.

>> DO YOU FEEL AT ALL AS THOUGH

THE CONVERSATION AROUND BREAST

CANCER SEEMS TO BE CHANGING?

WE HAVE SEEN VERY PROMINENT

YOUNG WOMEN COME OUT AND TALK

ABOUT GETTING TESTED FOR THE

BREAST CANCER GENE, A LOT OF

PEOPLE OPEN ON SOCIAL MEDIA

ABOUT JOURNEYS THROUGH

TREATMENT.

DO YOU FEEL AS THOUGH THAT IS

HELPING WITH PEOPLE WHO ARE

DEALING WITH THIS?

>> ABSOLUTELY.

YOU KNOW, IT USED TO BE THAT

NOBODY TALKED ABOUT THIS.

IT ACTUALLY USED TO BE THAT

DOCTORS SOMETIMES WOULDN'T TELL

A WOMAN THAT SHE HAD BREAST

CANCER, WOULDN'T WANT HER TO

LIVE WITH THE ANXIETY AND

NOTHING THEY CAN REALLY DO ABOUT

IT ANYWAY.

OFTEN TIMES WOMEN WOULD LIVE

WITH THIS SHAME BECAUSE IT WAS

SOMETHING THAT WAS WRONG WITH

YOUR BREASTS AND IT EFFECTS YOUR

FEM NINITY AND YOUR SENSIBILITY

OF YOURSELF.

THANK GOODNESS THAT TIMES HAVE

CHANGED.

AND TODAY IT IS OKAY TO TALK

ABOUT IT.

THERE IS INCREDIBLE SENSE OF

COMMUNITY AMONG BREAST CANCER

SURVIVORS.

I NEVER USED TO REALLY TOTALLY

GET IT.

I SEE THESE EVENTS WITH

EVERYBODY WEARING PINK.

NOW I DO.

NOW I UNDERSTAND THE STRENGTH

AND THE COMPASSION THAT IS

WAITING THERE FOR YOU IF IT'S

YOUR TIME TO GO DOWN THAT PATH.

SO I'M PART OF THAT NOW.

WHEN YOU FIND YOURSELF ON THE

OTHER SIDE OF A LIFE THREATENING

DISEASE AS A SURVIVOR I THINK IT

IS KIND OF A NATURAL INSTINCT TO

SAY YOU LET ME SURVIVE, THANKS.

I'M GOING TO PUT MY HAND OUT AND

HELP THE NEXT PERSON THROUGH.

>> AND THAT SEEMS TO BE ONE OF

THE MOST CHALLENGING THINGS AS I

UNDERSTAND IT WITH ANY KIND OF

CANCER DIAGNOSIS IS THE DAUNTING

GAUNTLET OF LIKE WHAT COMES

NEXT, TREATMENT, WHERE DO YOU

GO?

WHO DO YOU GET OPINIONS FROM?

HAVING A PLACE TO GO SOUNDS SO

CRUCIALLY IMPORTANT JUST FOR THE

PATIENTS' OWN MENTAL HEALTH.

>> I HAVE BEEN IN PEOPLE'S

LIVING ROOMS FOR THE LAST

SEVERAL DECADES.

>> YOU ARE A FAMILIAR FRIENDLY

FACE.

>> I THINK THAT DOES PLAY A PART

IN THIS THAT THEY CONSUME

INFORMATION FROM ME IN A LITTLE

DIFFERENT WAY, KIND OF WOMAN TO

WOMAN, FRIEND TO FRIEND.

I WAS IN YOUR LIVING ROOM.

WE ARE ALMOST FAMILY.

AND I THINK THAT IS PART OF IT.

AND SO I'M REALLY PASSIONATE

ABOUT THIS ENDEAVOR OF MINE TO

GO OUT AND EDUCATE NOT JUST

WOMEN BUT ANYONE DEALING WITH

ANY CANCER DIAGNOSIS.

AT HOME WITH JOAN CAMPAIGN PULLS

IN STORY TELLING.

YOU KNOW, THAT'S WHAT I HAVE

MADE MY LIVING DOING IS TELLING

PEOPLE'S STORIES.

SO IT IS VERY NATURAL THAT THEY

HAVE ME GO OUT AND INTERVIEW

PEOPLE FIGHTING CANCER AND

SURVIVING CANCER FROM ALL OVER

THE UNITED STATES.

WE KIND OF REPRESENT EVERYBODY.

>> LISTEN, JOAN LUNDEN, ON

BEHALF OF WOMEN AND EVEN MEN, I

WILL SAY THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR

BEING THAT PERSON TO COME

FORWARD AND MAKE SURE OTHERS

KNOW WHAT TO ASK, HOW TO ASK AND

WHERE TO GO FOR THE INFORMATION.

>> THANK YOU SO MUCH.

I HOPE EVERYBODY JOINS ME

ATHOMEWITHJOAN.COM AND BECOMES

PART OF OUR COMMUNITY.

>> THANK YOU.

>>> HI.

IF YOU WERE A KID OR HAD ONE OR

EVEN A GRAND CHILD THAT WATCHED

TV IN THE 1990s YOU LIKELY KNOW

BILL NYE THE SCIENCE GUY, QUIRKY

HUMOR AND COOL EXPERIMENTS HE

BROKE DOWN COMPLICATED CONCEPTS

AND MADE LEARNING FUN.

HE IS BACK ON THE SMALL SCREEN

HOSTING NETFLIX SHOW BILL NYE

SAVES THE WORLD.

THAT IS NOT ALL HE IS UP TO.

BILL IS NOT ONLY BACK IN LIVING

ROOMS ALL ACROSS AMERICA, HE IS

ALSO THE SUBJECT OF THE NEW

DOCUMENTARY WHICH OPENS ABOUT

WHAT DRIVES HIM NOW.

LET'S TAKE A LOOK.

>> IT WAS REALLY THE 1990s TO

MAKE YOUNG PEOPLE EXCITED ABOUT

SCIENCE AGAIN.

I HAVE TO MOVE ON TO SOMETHING

BIGGER.

NOWADAYS I'M TALKING TO ADULTS

AND NOT MINCING WORDS.

CLIMATE IS CHANGING.

IT'S OUR FAULT.

WE GOT TO GET TO WORK ON THIS.

THIS IS WHERE WE SEE THE SMOKING

GUN.

THIS IS RAISING SEA LEVEL.

THIS IS DROWNING MIAMI

EVENTUALLY.

LEAVE THE WORLD BETTER THAN YOU

FOUND IT.

I TRY TO BE WORTHY OF MY

PARENTS.

>> JOINING ME NOW IS THE SCIENCE

GUY HIMSELF, BILL NYE AND FILM

MAKER WHO CO-CREATED THE

DOCUMENTARY.

BILL AND DAVID THANK YOU FOR

BEING HERE.

YOU REALLY OPEN UP ABOUT WHO YOU

ARE, THE MAN BEHIND THE MAN.

I KNOW YOU HAVE SAID PREVIOUSLY

THAT BILL NYE IS SUCH A

FANTASTIC SUBJECT BECAUSE PEOPLE

KNOW HIM BUT THEY DON'T KNOW

HIM.

WHY DID YOU, BILL, DECIDE TO

OPEN UP ABOUT YOUR PERSONAL LIFE

THIS WAY AND WHAT YOUR FOCUS IS

NOW?

>> THEY TRICKED ME.

[ LAUGHTER ]

I SIGNED A RELEASE OR WHATEVER

IT IS CALLED AND THEY STARTED

JUST BEING AROUND ALL THE TIME.

THESE ARE GUYS THAT GREW UP

WATCHING THE SCIENCE GUY SHOW AS

YOU DID.

AND YOU JUST THOUGHT IT WOULD BE

INTERESTING.

>> JASON AND I, THE OTHER

DIRECTOR, WERE ALWAYS CURIOUS

BECAUSE WE FELT LIKE WE KNEW

BILL FROM SPENDING SO MUCH OF

OUR CHILDHOOD WATCHING HIM.

THEN THERE IS A PERSON BEHIND

THAT PERSONA.

WE FOUND THE PERSON BEHIND THE

PERSONA IS THE PERSON HE IS

PERSONIFYING.

HE IS A PROFESSIONAL ACTOR

PORTRAYING HIMSELF.

THERE IS AN INTERESTING -- FOR

US AS DOCUMENTARY FILM MAKERS IT

IS INTERESTING FOR US TO DIVE

INTO THAT.

>> YOU DID ALSO TALK ABOUT YOUR

PARENTS BEING A MAJOR DRIVER OF

YOUR INTEREST IN BETTERING THE

WORLD AND GETTING INVOLVED IN

SCIENCE WHICH I THOUGHT WAS

REALLY INTERESTING.

YOU SAID YOUR MOM WAS INVOLVED

IN WORLD WAR II IN BREAKING

CODES.

>> YEAH.

I DIDN'T WRITE THIS BOOK.

IT'S NONE OF MY BUSINESS CALLED

"CODE GIRLS" AND THE AUTHOR TOOK

A SENTENCE TO MENTION MY MOM.

IT'S ABOUT WOMEN THAT WORKED ON

THE ENIGMA CODE, NOTORIOUS NAZI

CODE.

MY DAD WAS A PRISONER OF WAR.

PEOPLE OF THAT GENERATION GREW

UP WITH A DIFFERENT VIEW OF THE

UNITED STATES AND THE GOVERNMENT

AND WE ARE ALL IN THIS TOGETHER.

AND WE HAVE TO WORK TOGETHER TO

ACCOMPLISH GREAT THINGS AND

SACRIFICES ARE REQUIRED.

THEY MADE QUITE AN IMPRESSION ON

ME.

BILL NYE GROWING UP.

WHAT WAS IT LIKE WORKING ON THE

DOCUMENTARY?

>> I GREW UP IN DALLAS, TEXAS.

I WATCHED PBS THERE.

IT INSTILLED THE LOVE OF SCIENCE

THAT LATER DEVELOPED INTO BEING

A SCIENCE DOCUMENTARY FILM

MAKER.

SO TO BE WITH BILL AND FILM WITH

HIM, WE WENT TO GREENLAND

TOGETHER TO FILM SOME SCIENCE UP

THERE.

IT'S THIS AMAZING TRIP.

>> SPEAKING OF GREENLAND, ONE OF

THE PRIMARY FOCUSES OF THE FILM

IS SPEAKING WITH SKEPTICS OF

CLIMATE CHANGE AND EVOLUTION.

YOU TRAVEL TO GREENLAND AND LOOK

AT WHAT IS HAPPENING THERE AS

FAR AS RESEARCH IS CONCERNED,

THE TIMING OF THIS I THINK

PROBABLY COULDN'T HAVE BEEN

BETTER FOR YOU GUYS, RIGHT?

>> WELL, WOULD HAVE BEEN BETTER

BEFORE THE LAST PRESIDENTIAL

ELECTION PROBABLY.

BUT EVERYBODY, YOU WATCH THE

FILM, WE GO TO GREENLAND.

THIS IS WHERE THEY PULL UP THE

ICE.

ANCIENT ATMOSPHERE THAT IS

OVERWHELMING EVIDENCE OF

HUMAN-CAUSED CLIMATE CHANGE.

LET'S GO AND GET TO WORK.

>> YOU SPEAK A LOT IN THE FILM

ABOUT WHAT SEEMS TO BOTHER YOU

THE MOST IN THE FILM ANYWAY IS

HOW THIS EFFECTS SCIENCE

EDUCATION.

TELL ME A LITTLE ABOUT THAT.

>> IF WE, THE UNITED STATES, THE

WORLD'S MOST INFLUENTIAL CULTURE

WHICH ROSE TO ECONOMIC

PREIMMINENCE THROUGH INVENTION

AND SCIENCE AND INNOVATION AND

TO HAVE THIS COUNTRY NOW ABANDON

THAT SCIENTIFIC TRADITION IS

HEARTBREAKING FOR ME.

>> SO WHAT WOULD YOU BOTH LIKE

TO SEE COME FROM THE FILM'S

RELEASE?

>> THAT WE CHANGE THE WORLD,

THAT THE UNITED STATES EMBRACES

RENEWABLE ENERGY, PROVIDING

CLEAN WATER AND ACCESS, RAISING

STANDARD OF LIVING IN WOMEN AND

GIRLS AND WE CHANGE THE WORLD.

>> I WOULD LIKE TO SEE PEOPLE

ACROSS THE POLITICAL SPECTRUM

STOP MAKING DECISIONS FOR IDEA

LOGICAL REASONS.

WE TALK ABOUT FACTS WE SHOULD BE

TALKING ABOUT EVIDENCE AND

REASON.

I THINK THE FILM EXPLORES THAT

LINE IN THIS SUBTLE WAY WHERE

YOU CAN EASILY TALK YOURSELF

INTO THINKING THAT CLIMATE

CHANGE ISN'T REAL IF YOU PUT

YOUR EMOTIONAL NEEDS IN

IDEOLOGY.

IF YOU PUT YOUR NEEDS IN FACTS

AND EVIDENCE I THINK YOU WILL

SEE CLIMATE CHANGE IS REAL.

>> I WILL SAY THOSE ARE HIGH

MARKS TO REACH.

I THINK IF ANYBODY CAN DO IT I

THINK YOU TWO CAN.

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR BEING

HERE.

FOR MORE DETAILS CHECK OUT

METROFOCUS.ORG.

♪♪

♪ HURRY TO MY BLUE HEAVEN

♪♪

FUNDING FOR THIS PROGRAM WAS