MetroFocus

FULL EPISODE

MetroFocus: November 25, 2021

Tonight, don’t miss Chef Lidia Bastianich's master class on the recipes and techniques she’s been curating for years. Also, Pulitzer Prize-winning columnist and best-selling author Dave Barry shares the valuable life lessons he learned from his beloved dog Lucy.

AIRED: November 25, 2021 | 0:26:30
ABOUT THE PROGRAM
TRANSCRIPT

>>> THIS IS "METROFOCUS," WITH

RAFAEL PI ROMAN, JACK FORD AND

JENNA FLANAGAN.

>>> "METROFOCUS" IS MADE

POSSIBLE BY --

SUE AND EDGAR WACHENHEIM III,

SYLVIA A. AND SIMON B. POYTA

PROGRAMING ENDOWMENT TO FIGHT

ANTI-SEMITISM,

THE PETER G. PETERSON AND JOAN

GANZ COONEY FUND,

BERNARD AND DENISE SCHWARTZ,

BARBARA HOPE ZUCKERBERG,

THE AMBROSE MONELL FOUNDATION.

AND BY --

JANET PRINDLE SEIDLER,

JODY AND JOHN ARNHOLD,

CHERYL AND PHILIP MILSTEIN

FAMILY,

JUDY AND JOSH WESTON,

DR. ROBERT C. AND TINA SOHN

FOUNDATION.

>>> I'M LYDIIDIA BASTIANICH.

TEACHING YOU ABOUT ITALIAN FOOD

HAS ALWAYS BEEN MY PASSION.

>> EVERYONE WANTS TO BE IN THE

KITCHEN WITH LIDIA BASTIANICH,

THE BEST-SELLING AUTHOR,

RESTAURANT AND HOST OF "LIDIA'S

COOKING."

NOW SHE'S TEACHING EVERYTHING

EVERYONE NEEDS TO KNOW TO BE A

GREAT ITALIAN COOK.

JUST IN TIME FOR THE HOLIDAYS

AND FOR A LOT OF FAMILY MEALS.

LIDIA BASTIANICH JOINS ME NOW.

WELCOME.

NOW, LIDIA, THE TITLE OF YOUR

BOOK, "LIDIA'S MASTERING THE ART

OF ITALIAN CUISINE."

SOUNDS A LOT LIKE JULIA CHILD'S

"MASTERING FRENCH COOKING."

WAS THAT INTENTIONAL?

>> I THINK SO.

MY FIRST OPPORTUNITY ON

TELEVISION WAS ACTUALLY TWO

EPISODES THAT I DID WITH HER.

>> WOW, THAT MUST HAVE BEEN

SOMETHING.

>> ABSOLUTELY.

BUT ALSO, HER EDITOR, WE BOTH

HAD THE SAME EDITOR, ALTHOUGH

JULIA'S RETIRED AND I HAVE PETER

GATHERS, BUT WE HAD THE SAME

EDITOR, THE SAME PUBLISHING

HOUSE AND SAID, YOU KNOW WHAT,

LIDIA, I THINK WE NEED AN

ITALIAN KIND OF VERSION OF THAT

MESSAGE OF ETHNIC COOKING.

AND THE NAME, THE SIMILARITY,

WAS INTENDED BY ALL OF US.

>> OKAY.

SO, WHAT MAKES THIS BOOK

DIFFERENT THAN ALL THE ITALIAN

COOKBOOKS THAT ARE OUT THERE AND

YOUR PREVIOUS COOK BOOKS?

THI

>> THIS IS MY TENTH BOOK.

IT TAKES ABOUT TWO YEARS TO DO A

BOOK.

THIS ONE TOOK ME ABOUT THREE

YEARS.

BUT WHAT'S IN HERE IS KIND OF

ALL THOSE BITS AND PIECES OF

INFORMATION THAT YOU KIND OF,

YOU KNOW, AS YOU GO ON, YOU

COLLECT, YOU PUT IT AWAY, THINGS

THAT MADE ME WHO I AM, THAT MADE

ME UNDERSTAND HOW TO COOK BETTER

AND I KIND OF PULLED IT ALL OUT

OF THAT FILE.

AND INCLUDED IT IN THIS BOOK.

SO, IT'S A BOOK THAT REALLY --

THAT I -- YOU KNOW, I WOULD LIKE

TO BE -- TAKE THE COOK BY THE

HAND AND GIVE THEM THE STEP BY

STEP WHYS AND HOWS AND MAKE IT

EASIER AND MAKE IT, YOU KNOW,

AND A LOT OF THAT, RAFAEL, IS

COMMON SENSE, THINGS THAT PEOPLE

EVEN KNOW.

>> SIMIPLE THINGS.

BUT THEY MAKE A BIG DIFFERENCE.

>> LET'S TALK ABOUT THAT.

BECAUSE YOU SAY IT MAY SEEM

DIFFICULT TO PREPARE ITALIAN

FOOD, BUT IT IS SIMPLE IF YOU

KNOW HOW TO DO IT.

HOW DO YOU MAKE IT SIMPLE?

EVEN FOR A GUY LIKE ME?

>> ALL RIGHT, WE'LL GET YOU IN

THE KITCHEN.

ITALIAN FOOD AT ITS BEST IS

SIMPLE FOOD.

IT'S ABOUT THE INGREDIENTS.

THE SEASONAL INGREDIENTS, THE

BEST INGREDIENTS AND THE

TRADITIONAL ITALIAN INGREDIENTS,

YOU KNOW.

YOU NEED THOSE TRADITIONAL

INGREDIENTS TO MAKE GOOD ITALIAN

MEALS.

ONCE YOU HAVE THEM, PULLING

TOGETHER IS REALLY SIMPLE.

AND ACTUALLY, THE FACT IS NOT

TOO OVER-ELABORATE.

NOT TO ADD SO MANY THINGS.

SO, IN ITS SIMPLICITY, IF YOU

UNDERSTAND THE PRODUCTS, YOU

STAY SEASONAL, YOU STAY LOCAL,

YOU THROW IN SOME TRADITIONAL

ITALIAN PRODUCTS, YOU ARE BOUND

TO MAKE A GOOD ITALIAN MEAL.

>> ASIDE FROM THE 400-PLUS

RECIPES IN THE BOOK, YOU HAVE 88

PAGES SPECIFICALLY ON THE BASIC,

OR, ABSOLUTE NECESSARY

INGREDIENTS.

GIVE US SOME INGREDIENTS THAT

ARE ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY.

>> YOU DON'T GO RIGHT INTO THE

RECIPES.

YOU GO --

>> 88 PANELS AT THE BEGINNING.

>> EXACTLY.

AND THOSE ARE THE THINGS THAT I

WANT THE COOK, THE HOME COOK, TO

READ, TO GET INTO IT AND TO

UNDERSTAND.

SO, THERE I HAVE THE DIVERSITY

OF CHOOSING -- KNOWING HOW TO

CHOOSE A PRODUCT.

YOU KNOW, WHEN IS IT PERFECT

RIPENESS, KNOWING HOW TO PREPARE

THAT PRODUCT, KNOWING HOW TO

STORE THE PRODUCT AND ULTIMATELY

KNOWING HOW TO COOK THAT

PRODUCT.

HOW TO COMBINE PRODUCTS.

THAT'S ALL IN THERE.

YOU KNOW, LIKE, OKAY, I TELL

YOU, SAN MARZANO TOMATOES WHY

ARE THEY THE BEST?

THOSE ARE THE SEXY-LOOKING

TOMATOES, LONG ROMA TOMATOES.

THEY ARE GREAT BECAUSE THEY HAVE

THIN SKIN, THEY HAVE A LOT OF

PULP AND A FEW SEEDS.

SO, NOT TOO MUCH JUICE, JUICE

MAKES SAUCE ACIDIC.

SEEDS ARE TANNINS, SO THEY MAKE

THE SAUCE BITTER, SO, IT MAKES

SENSE WHY A SAN MARZANO, OR A

PLUM TOMATO.

SO, NOW THE READER UNDERSTANDS

AND WILL BE LOOKING FOR THOSE

INGREDIENTS.

FOR EXAMPLE, THE TECHNIQUES OF

COOKING, DO WE BRAISE, DO WE

BOIL, DO YOU STEAM, DO YOU

ROAST, DO YOU DRY ROAST, DO YOU

WET ROAST, DO YOU KNOW YOUR

OVEN?

THE OVEN, YOU KNOW, EVERYBODY,

OKAY, I PUT IT ON THE -- IN THE

MIDDLE RACK AND IT'S COOKING.

YEAH, THE MIDDLE RACK, YOU GET

HEAT FROM ALL OVER EVEN.

BUT WHAT HAPPENS IF YOUR CHICKEN

IS PALE AND YOU WANT TO GET SOME

EXTRA COLOR QUICKLY?

WELL, YOU PUT IT ON THE TOP

RACK, BECAUSE THE HEAT TRAVELS

UP, COMES TO THE TOP.

WHAT HAPPENS IF YOU ARE MAKING A

GRAVY OR A ROAST AND THE GRAY

SI'S TOO LOOSE?

YOU TAKE IT, YOU PUT IT ON THE

BOTTOM RACK SO THAT THE GRAYVY

BUBBLES.

SO, THEN I ALSO TELL YOU, IF YOU

HAVE LOOSE GRAVY, YOU KNOW,

EVERYBODY SAYS, OH, PUT FLOUR --

WELL, YOU COULD, BUT THAT'S RAW

AND YOU HAVE TO COOK IT, BUT HOW

ABOUT SOME BREADCRUMBS?

THAT'S BASICALLY STARCH, FLOUR

THAT'S COOKED.

YOU PUT IT IN YOUR LOOSE GARAVY

YOU COOK IT AND THEN STRAIN IT.

SIMPLE, RIGHT?

>> THEY ARE SIMPLE.

LET'S TALK ABOUT THE RECIPES.

THE ONE THAT CAUGHT MY ATTENTION

WAS THE CHOCOLATE HAZELNUT CAKE.

WHAT'S SPECIAL ABOUT THAT

RECIPE?

>> THE SIMPLICITY, ACTUALLY.

>> AGAIN.

>> YEAH, BECAUSE IT'S ALL IN ONE

BLENDER, IN A MIXER AND YOU ADD

THE TRADITIONAL, THE BUTTER, THE

SUGAR, THE EGGS, THE FLOUR, THE

CHOCOLATE AND THEN THE

HAZELNUTS, THOSE WONDERFUL

HAZELNUTS THAT YOU TOAST THEM

FIRST A LITTLE BIT.

SO, IT'S HOW YOU ADD THEM IN AND

TOASTING THE NUTS FIRST SO YOU

GET THE FLAVOR OUT AND THE

COMBINATION OF ALL OF THOSE

INGREDIENTS TOGETHER.

NOW, ITALY HAS 20 REGIONS AND,

YOU KNOW, THE CUISINES IN ALL

THE REGIONS ARE QUITE DIFFERENT.

AND THEY REALLY REFLECT THE --

THE CLIMATE THE TOPOGRAPHY OF

THE REGION.

SO, THIS CAKE COMES FROM THE

NORTHEAST.

THEY HAVE SOME OF THE BEST

HAZELNUTS AND THEY HAVE GREAT

CHOCOLATE AND THE INFAMOUS, IF

YOU WILL, HAZELNUT AND CHOCOLATE

COMBINATION, COMES FROM THAT, SO

IT'S ONLY NATURAL THAT WE WOULD

MAKE IT INTO A CAKE.

>> NOW, FOOD FOR YOU, OBVIOUSLY,

IS MORE THAN A MEANS OF GETTING

NUTRIENTS INTO THE BODY OR EVEN

AN OCCASIONAL PLEASURABLE EVENT.

WHAT CAN FOOD BE?

>> OH, GOD.

FOOD IS SO -- IT'S SO MUCH, IT'S

THE COMMON DENOMINATOR FOR ALL

OF HUMAN BEINGS, YOU KNOW?

WE ALL NEED TO EAT.

WE ALL -- SO THERE IS, WHEN WE

SIT AT THE TABLE, NO MATTER

WHICH ETHNIC TABLE WE SIT,

THERE'S A COMMONALITY, THERE'S A

SENSE OF WELL BEING FOR THE

PEOPLE THAT ARE SITTING AT THE

TABLE, BECAUSE FOOD NURTURES

YOU, FOOD KEEPS YOU HEALTHY, IF

YOU DON'T OVERDO IT, YOU KNOW,

AND ALL OF THOSE -- BUT FOOD IS

ALSO COMMUNICATOR OF EMOTIONS,

YOU KNOW, SAYING, WELCOME, I

LOVE YOU, I WANT TO CELEBRATE

YOU.

YOU CAN SAY ALL OF THAT WITH

FOOD.

>> ALL RIGHT, LIDIA.

WELL, THANK YOU SO MUCH.

"LIDIA'S MASTERING THE ART OF

ITALIAN CUISINE" IS THE BOOK.

>> THANK YOU, RAFAEL.

>> THANK YOU, LIDIA.

>>> DAVE BARRY SAYS HE DECIDED

TO BECOME A PROFESSIONAL HUMAN

MORIST WHEN HE DISCOVERED THAT,

QUOTE, PROFESSIONAL HUMOR WAS A

LOT EASIER THAN WORKING.

WE THINK IT'S SAFE TO SAY IN A

CAREER THAT HAS SPANNED FIVE

DECADES HE'S BEEN PRETTY

SUCCESSFUL AT THIS REALLY NOT SO

EASY PROFESSION.

WITH OVER 30 BOOKS, A PULITZER

PRIZE AND A WILDLY POPULAR

SYNDICATED COLUMN, "THE NEW YORK

TIMES" HAS CALLED BARRY THE

FUNNIEST MAN IN AMERICA.

NOW THE 71-YEAR-OLD WRITER IS

AIMING HIS SIGNATURE SARCASM AND

WIT AT PERHAPS THE TOUGHEST

CONUNDRUM AT ALL.

HOW CAN WE AGE GRACEFULLY?

AND IN HIS ATTEMPT TO DISCOVER

THE ANSWER TO THIS TIMELESS

QUANDARY, HE HAS BEEN CONSULTING

HIS WISEST FRIEND, HIS DOG LUCY.

BARRY'S NEW BOOK IS "LESSONS

FROM LUCY: THE SIMPLE JOYS OF AN

OLD HAPPY DOG."

AND HE JOINS US NOW.

DAVE, WELCOME TO THE PROGRAM.

>> THANK YOU.

>> GOOD TO HAVE YOU WITH US.

>> GOOD TO BE HERE, THANK YOU.

>> SO, DAVE, FIRST OF ALL, YOU

DON'T CARE FOR SELF-HELP BOOKS,

THAT'S MOSTLY BECAUSE YOU DON'T

CARE FOR SELF-HELP AUTHORS OF

WHOM YOU WRITE IN THE BOOK,

QUOTE, A REMARKABLY HIGH

PERCENTAGE OF THE ONES I MET DID

NOT STRIKE ME AS COMPETENT, GOOD

OR EVEN NECESSARILY SANE.

YET, YOU WROTE A SELF-HELP BOOK.

>> YEAH, I'M NOT KNOWN FOR

SELF-HELP BOOKS, I MEAN, USUALLY

WHEN PEOPLE READ MY BOOKS, THEY

GO, THAT DIDN'T HELP ME AT ALL,

OR SOMETIMES, I'M ACTUALLY

STUPIDER HAVING READ THIS BOOK.

BUT -- AND YET -- OVER THE

YEARS, I'VE BEEN ON A MILLION

BOOK TOURS AND I FOUND THAT AS A

RULE, THE SELF-HELP AUTHORS WERE

NOT REALLY TOGETHER PEOPLE.

>> THAT'S MY EXPERIENCE, AS

WELL.

>> YEAH, I MEAN, ON THE AIR,

THEY'D BE CALM AND DO THIS AND

THIS.

AS SOON -- THEY'RE SCREAMING AT

THE PUBLICIST OR SOMETHING.

SO, YEAH, IT'S A DEPARTURE FOR

ME TO WRITE A BOOK AND I LIKE TO

STRESS THAT THERE ISN'T ANYTHING

THAT I SAY IN THIS BOOK THAT

EVERYBODY DOESN'T ALREADY KNOW.

I'M NOT, LIKE, BREAKING NEW

GROUND TELLING YOU AMAZING

THINGS.

>> THAT'S THE THING ABOUT LIFE

STORIES, LIFE-LEARNING STORIES,

THAT YOU ALREADY KNOW THEM, BUT

YOU GOT TO BE REMINDED OF THEM.

AND IT REALLY WORKS, MAN.

>> WELL, THANK YOU.

THE IDEA IS YOU YOUKNOW, IT'S N

THAT WE DON'T KNOW THINGS, WE

KNOW PLENTY OF THINGS.

AND THINGS WE KNOW THAT ARE

IMPORTANT ARE SO SIMPLE THAT

DOGS OFTEN KNOW THEM.

DOGS, THEY JUST KNOW HOW TO LIVE

THEIR LIVES IN A WAY THAT MAKES

THEM HAPPY, WHICH HAPPENS TO

TURN OUT TO BE KIND OF A

WONDERFUL WAY.

AND THEY DON'T CHANGE.

THEY CONTINUE TO DO THOSE THINGS

THAT WORK FOR THEM AND HAVE

WORKED FOR THEM FOR THOUSANDS

AND THOUSANDS OF YEARS.

PEOPLE, WE START OUT KNOWING A

LOT OF THESE THINGS.

WHEN YOU'RE A KID, YOU KNOW HOW

TO HAVE FUN, YOU KNOW HOW TO

MAKE FRIENDS AND THEN GRADUALLY

YOU LOSE THOSE THINGS.

YOU BURY THEM UNDER A PILE OF

DAILY MINUTIA THAT SEEMS MORE

IMPORTANT TO YOU, YOU KNOW?

IT'S MORE IMPORTANT TO ME TO

READ THIS PARTICULAR TEXT THAN

TO NOTICE MY KID WHO IS RIGHT

NEXT TO ME, YOU KNOW AND IS

ASKING ME A QUESTION.

>> SO, THAT'S -- YOU'VE NAMED A

COUPLE OF THEL LESSONS BUT I WAT

TO GO THROUGH THEM.

HOW DID YOU COME TO REALIZE THAT

LUCY, THE GREATEST DOG EVER, OF

COURSE, YOUR DOG, WAS ABLE TO

GIVE YOU THESE LESSONS?

>> WELL, WE BOTH GOT OLD.

I TURNED -- LAST YEAR I TURNED

70 YEARS OLD AND SO I'M NOT 71,

THAT'S THE WAY IT WORKS, I DON'T

KNOW ABOUT YOU, BUT IN FLORIDA,

EVERY YEAR, YOU ADD ANOTHER ONE.

AND AT THE SAME TIME I TURNED

70, LUCY TURNED 10, SO, IN DOG

YEARS, SHE ALSO TURNED 70 AND IT

WAS TIME -- WHEN YOU TURN 70,

THAT'S A BIG ONE.

YOU REAL LY ARE THINKING, HUH.

WE'RE DEFINITELY IN THE FOURTH

QUARTER HERE.

>> YEAH.

>> AND ON REFLECTION, I WAS

THINKING, A LOT OF THINGS I

REALLY WASN'T CRAZY ABOUT THAT I

WAS DOING THAT HAD TURNED INTO,

WITHOUT REALIZING IT, BECAUSE IT

HAPPENS SO GRADUALLY.

AND MEANWHILE, LUCY WHO IS WITH

ME ALL THE TIME, ALL DAY EVERY

DAY, BECAUSE SHE'S A DOG, WASN'T

DOING ANYTHING DIFFERENT.

MAYBE SLEEPING A LITTLE MORE,

YOU KNOW, BUT OTHER THAN THAT,

SHE WAS STILL EXACTLY THE SAME

DOG SHE'D ALWAYS BEEN AND THE

SAME THINGS MADE HER HAPPY AND

SHE WAS, YOU KNOW, SHE WAS

LIVING HER LIFE IN A WAY THAT

MADE HER VERY HAPPY, WITHOUT

REALLY -- SEEMINGLY

EFFORTLESSLY, ALMOST.

I THOUGHT, WELL, IF SHE CAN DO

THAT, MAYBE I CAN DO THAT,

BECAUSE AT LEAST SOME OF THE

THINGS DOES NOT, NOT DRINK FROM

THE TOILET, ALTHOUGH -- YOU GET

TO BE MY AGE, YOU TRY -- I

HAVEN'T TRIED THAT YET.

>> SHE TAUGHT YOU SEVEN LESSONS.

THE BOOK HAS EIGHT, BECAUSE THE

EIGHTH YOU LEARN YOURSELF WITH A

TERRIBLE EXPERIENCE YOUR FAMILY

HAD TO ENDURE.

LET ME SEE HOW MANY OF THE SEVEN

I CAN GET.

SO, THE FIRST ONE OF THOSE

LESSONS IS, MAKE NEW FRIENDS AND

KEEP THE ONES YOU HAVE.

HOW DID LUCY TEACH YOU THAT AND

HOW HAVE YOU DONE WITH THE

IMPARTED WISDOM?

>> WELL, LUCY IS A VERY FRIENDLY

DOG AND WHENEVER ANYBODY OR ANY

DOG COMES INTO THEIR SIGHT, SHE

WANTS TO MEET THAT PERSON.

SHE LOVES THAT PERSON OR DOG

VERY MUCH, ESPECIALLY A DOG IF

IT SMELLS RIGHT.

>> AND THEY ALL SMELL RIGHT.

>> AND THEY ALL SMELL RIGHT.

AND SHE'S JUST VERY OUTGOING,

YOU KNOW, KEEPS -- SHE SEES

SOMEBODY SHE KNOWS, IT'S A

WILDLY EXCITING MOMENT.

I DON'T DO THAT ANYMORE, YOU

KNOW?

ALL MY REALLY OLD DEAR GOOD

FRIENDS, I DON'T EVEN KNOW IF

THEY'RE ALL STILL ALIVE, YOU

KNOW?

TO FIND OUT, I WOULD HAVE TO

CALL THEM UP AND I DON'T DO

THAT.

YOU GET OLDER, YOU GET MORE

ISOLATED, I THINK YOU GET -- AH,

I COULD, BUT JUST TROUBLE, TOO

MUCH TROUBLE.

AND YOU BEGIN TO DISMISS WHAT

ARE THE MOST IMPORTANT

RELATIONSHIPS YOU HAVE IN YOUR

LIFE, AT LEAST I WAS DOING THAT.

AND SO, THAT WAS THE FIRST

THING, TO TRY TO GET BACK IN

TOUCH WITH PEOPLE AND TO TRY TO

BE OPEN TO NEW FRIENDSHIPS,

WHICH IS HARD TO DO WHEN YOU GET

OLDER.

>> YEAH.

>> BECAUSE YOUR STANDARDS GET

VERY HIGH WITH WHO IS ALLOWED TO

BE YOUR FRIEND.

>> IN FACT, IN THE MIDDLE OF

WRITING THE CHAPTER ON THIS, YOU

STOPPED AND YOU CALLED A FRIEND

THAT YOU HAD --

>> YEAH, I WAS FEELING SO

GUILTY, BECAUSE I WAS THINKING

ABOUT, HIS NAME IS ROB, HE WAS

MY COLLEGE ROOMMATE, HADN'T SEEN

HIM, TALKED TO HIM IN A

COUPLE -- SEEMED LIKE A LONG,

LONG TIME.

I'M GOING TO CALL ROB RIGHT NOW,

YOU KNOW, WHILE I'M WRITING

THIS.

AND I DID AND WE HAD A GREAT

LONG CONVERSATION AND WE'VE BEEN

TALKING MUCH MORE SINCE THEN.

>> YOU KNOW, I WAS INSPIRED BY

THAT AND IN THE MIDDLE OF MY

READING THAT CHAPTER, I STOPPED,

I CALLED PERHAPS MY --

>> YOU CALLED MY FRIEND ROB?

>> YEAH --

>> GET YOUR OWN FRIENDS.

>> THE FRIEND I DID CALL, THE

CONVERSATION WENT DIFFERENTLY

THAN YOURS.

I REALIZED WHY I HAD ABOUT

CALLED HIM IN AWHILE.

THE MAN HAS GONE COMPLETELY NUTS

POLITICALLY.

AND THAT'S ALL HE TALKS ABOUT

AND THAT'S PARTLY WHAT I DO FOR

A LIVING SO I DON'T WANT TO DO

IT.

SO, WHAT DOES LUCY HAVE TO SAY

ABOUT THAT?

>> ACTUALLY, THAT'S A REALLY

GOOD POINT.

WE ARE AS, YOU KNOW, AS A

NATION, WE'VE -- WE'VE ALL GONE

KIND OF NUTS AND IT'S BECOME

MORE AND MORE DIFFICULT TO TALK

ABOUT ANYTHING.

I MEAN, ANYTHING POLITICAL WITH

ANYBODY.

BECAUSE YOU HAVE TO FIND OUT

FIRST, WHOSE SIDE ARE YOU ON, IS

IT THE SAME SIDE I'M ON, ARE

WE -- WHICH IS A SHAME, I MEAN,

I THINK THERE WAS A TIME WHEN WE

WERE MUCH BETTER AT DISAGREEING

POLITICALLY AND STILL KNOWING,

OKAY, I KNOW YOU AND I DON'T

AGREE, BUT WE BOTH WANT THE BEST

FOR THE COUNTRY, EVEN THOUGH

YOU'RE AN IDIOT AND YOU'RE

WRONG.

NO.

YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN.

WE USED TO BE BETTER, I THINK,

AT ALLOWING THE POSSIBILITY THAT

SOMEBODY COULD DISAGREE WITH US

AND STILL BE AN OKAY PERSON.

DOGS DON'T TALK ABOUT POLITICS.

THAT I'M AWARE OF.

ANOTHER THING, THEY VALUE

RELATIONSHIPS OVER EVERYTHING

ELSE.

SO, THEY WOULDN'T ALLOW AN

EXTRAIN YUS THING LIKE YOUR

POLITICAL VIEWS TO GET IN THE

WAY OF A RELATIONSHIP.

>> SO, THE SECOND LESSON IS,

DON'T STOP HAVING FUN AND IF YOU

STOP, START HAVING FUN AGAIN.

TALK ABOUT THAT.

>> WELL, WHEN YOU GET OLDER, AT

LEAST WHEN I -- YOU BEGIN TO

THINK CERTAIN THINGS ARE BENEATH

YOU, YOU'RE TOO OLD FOR THAT,

YOU CAN'T DO -- THINGS THAT

MIGHT BE PERCEIVED AS SILLY OR

STUPID, YOU SHOULD AN'T DO THAT

BECAUSE YOU'RE OLD.

DOGS DON'T DO THAT.

LUCY LIKED TO PLAY BALL WHEN SHE

WAS A PUPPY.

SHE LIKES TO PLAY BALL NOW.

IT DOESN'T SEEM STUPID TO HER.

>> OKAY, THE THIRD LESSON, I'M

PROBABLY GOING TO HAVE TO SKIP A

FEW, BUT I WANT TO GO TO THE

THIRD LESSON, WHICH INVOLVES THE

PRACTICE OF MINDFULNESS, WHICH

HAS BECOME SO POPULAR.

>> YEAH.

>> YOU WRITE IN THE BOOK,

CORPORATIONS ARE NOW FOISTING IT

ON THEIR EMPLOYEES, WHICH IS

ALWAYS A BAD SIGN.

BUT SPECIFICALLY, THE LESSON IS,

PAY ATTENTION TO THE PEOPLE YOU

LOVE, NOT LATER, RIGHT NOW.

TALK ABOUT THAT.

>> THIS IS -- THIS IS ONE OF THE

MORE IMPORTANT LESSONS THAT DOGS

CAN DEETEACH US.

THERE IS NO CREATURE MORE

MINDFUL THAN A DOG.

EVERY MOVEMENT YOU MAKE, EVERY

SOUND YOU MAKE, IF YOU GET UP,

THE DOG IS INSTANTLY UP AND

READY TO GO.

WHATEVER YOU WANT TO DO, THE DOG

WANTS -- THE DOG IS FOCUSED ON

YOU BECAUSE IT REALLY, REALLY

LOVE YOU.

I RATELY WANTS TO BE WITH YOU.

WE START OUT THAT WAY, MORE

AWARE OF THE PEOPLE AROUND US

AND THEN WE END UP, YOU KNOW, ON

OUR PHONES AND, YOU KNOW --

WE'RE IN THE SAME -- YOU'VE SEEN

IT, COUPLE AT A RESTAURANT AND

THEY'RE BOTH --

>> I'VE SEEN IT, I DO IT.

>> THEY'RE AT A RESTAURANT,

SITTING RIGHT ACROSS FROM EACH

OTHER AND THEY ARE BOTH -- WHY

ARE THEY AT A RESTAURANT?

STAY HOME AND EAT PIZZA IN THE

CLOSET IF YOU ARE JUST GOING TO

LOOK AT THE PHONE.

AND DOGS ARE SO, SO GOOD ABOUT

THAT AND HAVING A DOG IS SORT OF

A CONSTANT REMINDER OF THAT.

SO, IF YOU ARE IN A ROOM WITH

YOUR LOVED ONES AND YOU ARE

LOOKING AT YOUR PHONE, THEY'RE

LOOKING AT THEIR PHONE, PUT

YOURS DOWN AND LOOK AT THEIR

PHONES.

NO, LOOK AT THEM, TALK TO THEM.

>> THAT'S A HARD ONE.

>> IT'S A TOUGH ONE, BUT EVERY

TIME -- WHEN YOU REALLY GET

REMINDED WHEN YOU GO TO A

FUNERAL.

>> YEAH.

>> AND, YOU KNOW, YOU THINK, I'M

NEVER GOING TO SEE THAT PERSON

AGAIN.

I'M NEVER GOING TO HAVE ANOTHER

CONVERSATION WITH THAT PERSON

AGAIN.

AND THEN YOU WALK OUT AND YOU

THINK, I AM GOING TO MAKE SURE I

DON'T LET THIS HAPPEN TO ME --

AND THEN, OF COURSE, YOUR PHONE

BEEPS, YOU KNOW --

>> EVEN IF IT DOESN'T BEEP.

>> JUST ONE TWEET.

>> SO, THE FOURTH LESSON, I WANT

TO GET TO THIS ONE.

THE HARDEST FOR ME.

LET GO OF OUR ANGER UNLESS IT'S

ABOUT SOMETHING REALLY

IMPORTANT, WHICH IT ALMOST NEVER

IS.

THIS ONE'S HARD FOR YOU, AS

WELL.

YOU WRITE, YOU ARE PRONE TO

INSTANTANEOUSLY HATE PEOPLE YOU

DON'T KNOW.

NAME SOME OF THE PEOPLE --

>> THE FIRST EXAMPLE I GIVE IN

THE BOOK IS, LIKE, IF YOU ARE IN

LINE -- ONE OF THOSE ICE CREAM

PLACES WHERE THEY HAVE 57

FLAVORS OF ICE CREAM AND THEY

HAVE A LITTLE TASTING THING SO

YOU CAN TAKE A SAMPLE BEFORE YOU

DECIDE WHICH ONE YOU WANT.

A MAJOR DECISION, OF COURSE.

AND I DON'T MIND IF THERE'S NO

ONE THERE IF YOU TAKE A FEW

SAMPLES BUT IF YOU ARE AT THE

FRONT OF A LINE OF 25 PEOPLE

WAITING TO BUY ICE CREAM AND YOU

ARE ONE OF THOSE PEOPLE THAT GO,

I'LL TRY THAT, NO, LET ME TRY --

LET ME TRY -- AND YOUR FRIENDS,

TASTE THAT, AND YOU GO, CAN I

TRY THE FIRST ONE AGAIN -- I

WANT TO SHOOT YOU.

I MEAN -- I DON'T OWN A WEAPON,

BUT --

>> YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO, RIGHT?

IN FLORIDA, YOU CAN.

>> LEGALLY, YOU SHOULD BE ABLE

TO.

NO, AND D-- THE POINT IS, I WIL

BE BECOME ENRAGED ABOUT THAT.

THERE'S MANY THINGS, INSTANTLY

ENGAGED AND THEN -- THE REAL

PROBLEM IS, I KEEP THE RAGE.

I MEAN, I'LL BE SEETHING ABOUT

IT FOR AWHILE AND THAT'S A WASTE

OF MY TIME, IT'S NOT GOING TO

MAKE THOSE PEOPLE -- AND IT WAS,

WHAT, 30 SECONDS.

IT'S JUST NOT THAT IMPORTANT.

LUCY DOES GET ANGRY.

LIKE WE HAVE A WINDOW IN OUR

OFFICE THAT LOOKS OUT ON THE

DRIVEWAY, MY WIFE WORK IN AN

OFFICE AND LUCY SITS THERE AND

SHE HAS A PERCH TO LOOK OUT THE

WINDOW.

ONCE A WEEK, MEN COME AND YOU'RE

NOT GOING TO BELIEVE THIS, THEY

TAKE OUR GARBAGE.

WALK BRAZENLY DOWN -- TAKE --

AND LUCY IS LIKE, WHAT?

SHE'S LOOKING, CAN YOU -- DO YOU

SEE?

YOU'RE GOING TO LET THEM --

SHE'S VERY UPSET BECAUSE THEY'RE

TAKING OUR GARBAGE.

AND THEN AS SOON AS THEY GO

AROUND THE CORNER, GONE, BACK

TO, YOU KNOW, SLEEPING -- THE

RAGE IS OUT, SHE DOESN'T THINK

ABOUT IT.

SHE DOESN'T WAKE UP AT 3:00 IN

THE MORNING, I CAN'T BELIEVE WE

LET THEM TAKE THE GARBAGE.

SHE'S VERY GOOD AT JUST LETTING

IT PASS.

I NEED TO GET BETTER -- I NEED

TO GET BETTER AT NOT GETTING MAD

IN THE FIRST PLACE, WHICH IS

DIFFICULT, BECAUSE I DRIVE IN

MIAMI, WHERE MY LINE IS EVERYONE

IN MIAMI IS DRIVING ACCORDING TO

THE LAW OF HIS OR HER COUNTRY OF

ORIGIN.

WE ALL HAVE A DIFFERENT

INTERPRETATION OF THE YELLOW

LIGHT.

>> HOW ARE YOU DOING WITH THAT

LESSON?

>> NOT TOO WELL.

I NEED THAT MOUNTED ON THE CAR.

>> LET ME TURN TO THE LESSON

LUCY DID NOT TEACH YOU.

THERE REALLY WAS A TERRIBLE

EVENT YOU AND YOUR FAMILY HAD TO

ENDURE.

QUICKLY TELL US WHAT THE EVENT

WAS AND WHAT THE LESSON WAS.

>> THE EVENT WAS, I WAS -- THE

BOOK WAS DONE, I THOUGHT IT WAS

DONE, I HAD WRITTEN SEVEN

LESSONS, BEEN EDITED AND BOOK

TOUR HAD BEEN PLANNED, THIS WAS

LAST YEAR.

I WAS GETTING READY TO GO ON A

BOOK TOUR IN OCTOBER AND IN

AUGUST, AUGUST 18th, TWO DAYS

BEFORE MY DAUGHTER SOFIE WAS

SUPPOSED TO START AT DUKE, SHE

WAS GOING TO BE A FRESHMAN, VERY

EXCITED GOING TO COLLEGE, SHE

WOKE UP PARALYZED FROM THE WAIST

DOWN.

AND IT TURNED OUT SHE HAD A

COND

CONDITION WHERE YOUR IMMUNE

SYSTEM ATTACKS YOUR SPINE.

IT'S A SERIOUS DISORDER, RARE

AND IT SOMETIMES DOESN'T GO

AWAY.

THEY DON'T KNOW.

THEY DON'T PREDICT, THEY DON'T

TELL YOU.

SO, WE SPENT A HORRIBLE COUPLE

OF WEEKS THERE THINKING THAT OUR

DAUGHTER WAS NEVER GOING TO WALK

AGAIN.

ALL HER FRIENDS HAD GONE OFF TO

COLLEGE AND SHE'S THERE WITH

TUBES ALL THROUGH HER, THE

TREATMENT IS NOT PLEASANT.

AND LOOKING AT HER INSTAGRAM OF

ALL HER FRIENDS STARTING COLLEGE

AND GOING TO PARTIES AND

EVERYTHING AND WE'RE THINKING,

OUR LIVES ARE OVER HERE.

THIS IS -- YOU KNOW, ANYWAY, SHE

GOT BETTER.

SHE RECOVERED, IS NOW AT DUKE

AND SHE'S HAVING A WONDERFUL,

YOU KNOW, SHE STARTED LATE, BUT

SHE'S DOING GREAT AND HAVING A

WONDERFUL TIME AND WE ARE SO

GRATEFUL.

BUT THAT WAS THE LESSON, AND IF

YOU HAD ASKED ME DURING THE TIME

THAT WE WERE GOING THROUGH THIS,

WHICH WAS THE WORST, YOU KNOW,

IF YOU ARE A PARENT, THERE IS

ABSOLUTELY NO WORST FEELING THAN

WATCHING YOUR CHILD SUFFER AND

NOT BEING ABLE TO DO ANYTHING

ABOUT IT AND NOT KNOWING THAT

IT'S GOING TO GET BETTER.

IF YOU TOLD ME THEN THAT THE

LESSON I WOULD GET FROM THIS IS

WHAT IT WOULD, I WOULD NOT

BELIEVE IT, BUT IT WAS

GRATITUDE.

AND THE REASON I SAY THAT IS,

FIRST OF ALL, OBVIOUSLY WE'RE

VERY GRATEFUL THAT SOFIE IS

OKAY, BUT IN THE PROCESS OF

LOSING THAT, HER HEALTH, WE

REALIZED HOW IMPORTANT THAT WAS

AND HOW UNIMPORTANT ALL THE

OTHER THINGS IN OUR LIVES WERE.

WE -- WHEN WE WERE GOING THROUGH

THIS, WE SAID, WE'D GIVE UP

EVERYTHING, ANYTHING, IF WE'D

KNOW SHE'D BE OKAY.

WE DON'T CARE ABOUT MONEY OR

ANYTHING ELSE, WE JUST WANT OUR

DAUGHTER TO BE OKAY.

SO, YOU GET THROUGH THAT AND YOU

REALIZE, MAN, ALL THIS STUFF

THAT I THINK IS SO IMPORTANT,

YOU KNOW, AND IT'S NOT JUST US,

I MEAN, THE WHOLE WORLD, WE'RE

ALL -- TALKING ABOUT POLITICS,

EVERYBODY IS JUST FREAKING OUT

ALL THE TIME, EVERYBODY IS ANGRY

ALL THE TIME, BUT THOSE AREN'T

THE IMPORTANT THINGS IN YOUR

LIFE.

AND IF YOU WAKE UP IN THE

MORNING AND YOU CAN GET UP OUT

OF BED AND YOU ARE REASONABLY

HEALTHY AND SO ARE YOUR LOVED

ONES, YOU HAVE A LOT TO BE

THANKFUL FOR, GRATEFUL FOR, MOST

ANYTHING ELSE, YOU'VE GOT THAT.

AND THE REST IS KIND OF MINOR

COMPARED TO THAT.

SO, THE BIG LESSON I GO OUT OF

THAT AND I STILL FEEL IT EVERY

DAY, I AM GRATEFUL FOR EVERY DAY

NOW THAT MY DAUGHTER IS OKAY,

WE'RE OKAY.

I DON'T CARE ABOUT MUCH ELSE, TO

BE HONEST.

>> YOU TOLD MEL BEFORE WE SAT

DOWN THAT SHE'S ALMOST 100%.

>> SHE'S DOING VERY, VERY WELL.

>> SHE'S DOING WELL.

HOW IS LUCY DOING?

>> LUCY IS UNCHANGED.

>> THAT'S GOOD.

>> NOTHING ABOUT LUCY CHANGES.

THAT'S ONE OF THE WONDERFUL

THINGS ABOUT DOGS.

>> ALL RIGHT, DAVE.

IT'S BEEN A PLEASURE TALKING TO

YOU.

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR JOINING

US.

>> THANK YOU SO MUCH.

>>> "METROFOCUS" IS MADE

POSSIBLE BY --

SUE AND EDGAR WACHENHEIM III,

SYLVIA A. AND SIMON B. POYTA

PROGRAMING ENDOWMENT TO FIGHT

ANTI-SEMITISM,

THE PETER G. PETERSON AND JOAN

GANZ COONEY FUND,

BERNARD AND DENISE SCHWARTZ,

BARBARA HOPE ZUCKERBERG,

THE AMBROSE MONELL FOUNDATION.

AND BY --

JANET PRINDLE SEIDLER,

JODY AND JOHN ARNHOLD,

CHERYL AND PHILIP MILSTEIN

FAMILY,

JUDY AND JOSH WESTON,

DR. ROBERT C. AND TINA SOHN

FOUNDATION.

STREAM METROFOCUS ON

  • ios
  • apple_tv
  • android
  • roku
  • firetv

FEATURED PROGRAMS