MetroFocus

FULL EPISODE

MetroFocus: October 21, 2015

In the second of a two-part interview, Former New Jersey Gov. Jim McGreevey talks about gay rights and coming to accept himself as a "gay American." Then, MSNBC’s Joy-Ann Reid will be here to break down the breakdown of American racial politics. Plus, "Nature" Executive producer Fred Kaufman shares a sneak peak at a new two-part series on pets coming from the Emmy-Award winning program.

AIRED: October 20, 2015 | 0:26:46
ABOUT THE PROGRAM
TRANSCRIPT

>>> TONIGHT,

PART TWO OF OU

INTERVIEW WITH JIM McGREEVEY

TONIGHT, A PERSONAL CONVERSATION

ABOUT BEING A GAY AMERICAN AFTER

THE SUPREME COURT RULING O

MARRIAGE EQUALITY.

THE SPIRE COUNTRY IS STARTING TO

TAKE NOTICE AS ELECTION 2016

BEGINS TO TAKE SHAPE AND RAISE

JUST ONE OF THE MANY ISSUES IN

THE COUNTRY.

>> WE'LL BE HERE TO BREAK DOWN

THE BREAKDOWN OF AMERICA

>> WE LOVE OUR PETS.

CONSIDER THEM AS PART OF OUR

FAMILY AND WE THINK WE KNOW AL

ABOUT THEM, BUT DO WE?

IN A MOMENT, THEIR SECRET WORL

EXPOSED.

ALL THAT AND MORE AS METRO FOCUS

STARTS RIGHT NOW

>>> THIS IS METRO NOEX FOCUS

WITH RAFAEL RA MONO, JACK FORD

FUNDING FOR THIS PROGRAM WAS

PROVIDED BY -- CORPORATE FUNDING

FOR METRO FOCUS WAS PROVIDED B

MUTUAL OF AMERICA, YOU

RETIREMENT COMPANY AND BY --

>> MY LEG HAD ALWAYS HURT A LOT.

I WOULD CRY AND SCREAM AND THE

ORIGINAL DIAGNOSIS IS TO

AMPUTATE IT.

WITH NEW YORK PRESBYTERIAN, THAT

HASN'T HAPPENED.

THEY SAVED WHAT COULD HAVE BEEN.

PEOPLE WERE SURPRISED BY M

CHEERLEADING BECAUSE I WAS ABL

TO DO ALL THESE FLIPS AND STUF

AND NOT BE JUNLED FOR IT

NOT BE CRITIQUED FOR IT AND WITH

CHEERLEADING, I LEARNED TO D

THIS

>> FROM FERGUSON, MISSOURI T

THE STREETS OF STATEN ISLAND

WE'RE A NATION THAT SEEMS MORE

DIVIDED IN TERMS OF RACE THA

THE END OF LEGAL SEGREGATION

FIVE DECADES AGO AND AS THE 2016

PRESIDENTIAL CAMPAIGN HEATS UP

THE IT'S FRONT AND CENTER.

>> DO BLACK LIVES MATTER OR AL

LIVES MATTER

>> BLACK LIVES MATTER.

THE AFRICAN-AMERICAN COMMUNITY

KNOWS THAT ON ANY GIVEN DAY,

SOME INNOCENT PERSON LIKE SANDRA

BLAND CAN GET INTO A CAR AND

THEN THREE DAYS LATER, SHE'S

GOING TO END UP DEAD IN JAIL

>> WHAT WOULD YOU DO FOR

AFRICAN-AMERICANS IN THI

COUNTRY THAT PRESIDENT OBAMA

COULDN'T

>> WE'VE GOT TO DO MORE ABOU

THE LIVES OF THESE CHILDREN.

AND NO NEW DEALS FOR

COMMUNITIES.

>> IN HER NEW BOOK, BARACK

OBAMA, THE CLINTS AND THE RACIAL

DIVIDE

WE LOOK AT THE HISTORY OF RACE

IN AMERICAN POLITICS AND AT TH

EVOLVING DECISIONS OF RACE

WITHIN THE DEMOCRATIC PARTY,

MOST NOTICEABLY THROUGH TH

COMPLEX RELATIONSHIP AND BIL

AND HILLARY CLINTON.

JOANNE REED JOINS ME NOW

WELCOME TO THE SHOW.

>> THANK YOU

GREAT TO BE HERE

>> WE'LL TALK ABOUT WHAT W

HEARD IN THE CLIP IN A MOMENT,

BUT FIRST, I'D LIKE TO ELABORATE

A LITTLE MORE ON THE ARGUMEN

THAT YOU MAKE IN THE BOOK AN

ABOUT WHAT EXACTLY THE FRACTUR

THIS YOU WRITE ABOUT IS.

>> WELL, I THINK THAT THERE AR

TWO MAJOR FISHERS I TALK ABOUT

AND THE FIRST IS BETWEEN THE

DEMOCRATIC PARTY AND THIS NE

FIRST AMENDMENT BASE THAT REALLY

SWEPT INTO THE PARTY

BROKE INTO THE PARTY IN A LOT OF

WAYS IN THE AMERICAN SOUTH

WHICH WAS RATIFIED BY TH

SWEEPING CIVIL RIGHT

LEGISLATION OF THE MID 1960s

BUT ALMOST IMMEDIATELY AFTER

PASSING AND SIGNING THE LAWS, UP

TO AND INCLUDING LYNDON JOHNSON,

THE DEMOCRATS WERE TRYING TO

FIND A WAY TO SOMEWHAT DISTANC

THEMSELVES FROM THIS NEW BLACK

BASE

DID NOT SEEM TO ACCOMMODATE THEM

TOO MUCH FROM THE BEGINNING,

LEST THEY LOSE THE SUPPORT O

WORKING CLASS WHITE VOTERS AND

IN FACT, A LOT OF THES

LIBERALIZING OF THE PARTY WA

HURTING DEMOCRATS AND WHIT

VOTERS

YOU SAW BILL CLINTON REALL

EPITOMIZE THE KIND OF DEMOCRATIC

WHO WOULD RECONCILE BENEATH TO

KEEP BLACK VOTERS IN THE FOLD,

BUT TO KEEP WHITES HAPPY

THE SECOND IS ON RACE.

THE IDEA THAT AFRICAN-AMERICAN

AND WHITE AMERICANS HAVE

FUNDAMENTALLY DIFFEREN

EXPECTATIONS WHEN IT COMES T

CONERER SAGSS ABOUT RACE

>> BACK TO BILL CLINTON.

BECAUSE YOU SAY IN THE BOOK THAT

IN RECENT SIMS, HE'S ONE OF TH

MASTER MINDS OF THIS FRACTUR

THAT EXISTS WITHIN THE PARTY

BUT HOW IS THAT POSSIBLE

HOW DO YOU SQUARE THE CIRCLE O

THAT AND THE FACT THAT HE IS A

YOU WELL KNOW, CALLED THE FIRS

BLACK PRESIDENT AND THAT HE'

STILL VERY POPULAR WIT

AFRICAN-AMERICANS IN THI

COUNTRY.

>> I TALK A LOT ABOUT BILL

CLINTON BECAUSE HE KIND OF

EPITOMIZES THE SORT OF

CONTRADICTION OF SOUTHER

POLITICS, WHICH IS THAT YOU HAVE

WHITE POLITICIANS IN CLOSE

PROXIMITY TO BLACK PEOPLE THAN A

LOT OF NORTHERN WHIT

POLITICIANS WHO ARE MORE

LIBERAL.

THEY'RE LIVING DAY-TO-DAY IN A

WORLD IN WHICH BLACK PEOPLE AR

RIGHT NEAR THEM, SO, THIS IDEA

OF HAVING TO CATER TO BOTH THE

MOST CONSERVATIVE WHITE VOTERS

WHITE RURAL VOTERS, BUT ALSO T

AFRICAN-AMERICANS, IS HELPIN

POLITICIANS WIN.

>> WHERE DOES HILLARY CLINTO

COME IN?

THE STUDENT SAID SHE DWAIF THE

STRONGEST ANSWER AND WHAT SH

SAID REFLECTS WHAT SHE'S BEE

SAYING IN THE CAMPAIGN AND FRO

MY MEMORY, SAYING THROUGHOUT HER

POLITICAL CAREER

SO, HOW HAS SHE PLAYED INT

THE --

>> THERE'S THE IRONY IS THAT

HILLARY CLINTON AND BILL CLINTON

WIND UP IN HUGE TROUBLE WITH THE

BLACK COMMUNITY IN 2008 OVER

SEVERAL COMMENTS MADE REALLY O

THE SAME DAY IN NEW HAMPSHIR

ANT LYNDON JOHNSON

THAT REALLY REFLECTS WHO HILLARY

CLINTON IS AS A POLITICS

ESSENTIALLY SAYING SURE, YOU

HAVE TO HAVE HOPE AND YOU HAVE

TO DREAMS AND ASPIRATIONS, WHICH

MARTIN LUTHER KING JR. HAD, BU

IT TAKES A PRESIDENT TO ACTUALLY

GET POLITICS DONE ON BEHALF OF

PEOPLE WHO NEED POLITICS THE

MOST, SO SHE WAS MAKING THIS

ARGUMENT BETWEEN LBJ AND MLK

WHICH STRUCK AFRICAN-AMERICANS

AS COMPLETELY DISRESPECTFUL OF

BARACK OBAMA BECAUSE HE WASN'T

TRYING TO BE MLK

HE WAS RUNNING TO BE LBJ

LYNDON JOHNSON, SO IT SEEMS TO

HAVE PUT HIM OFF AS THE DREAME

AND CAST HERSELF AT TH

PRAGMATIC POLITICS

BUT WHAT SHE WAS SAYING IN 200

THAT GOT HER IN TROUBLE IS WHA

SHE'S SAYING NOW, THAT SHE NEEDS

TO SEE AND WHAT SHE WANT

ACTIVISTS TO DO IS TO TELL HER

WHAT ACTIVISTS WANT.

TELL HER WHAT THE PEOPLE WAN

AND THEN SHE IS THE PERSON WHO

BELIEVES SHE CAN CRAFT THE

DONE

I THINK SHE REALLY DOES SE

HERSELF AS AN LBJ LIKE FIGURE IN

THE WHITE HOUSE.

>> GOING BACK TO PRESIDENT OBAMA

AND BACK TO THE SECOND KIND OF

FRACTURE YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT,

YOU KNOW, WHEN HE WAS ELECTED,

PEOPLE ACROSS AMERICANS ACROSS

THE SPECTRUM, EXPECTED THAT HE

WOULD HEAL THE RACIAL WOUNDS

BIND THE FRACTURED NATION.

IT DIDN'T HAPPEN

WHY?

>> I THINK IT DIDN'T HAPPE

BECAUSE WHEN WHITE AMERICA SAY

THEY WANT TO HEAL THE NATION'S

WOUNDS, WHAT I THINK THE

EXPECTATIONS WERE WAS THAT

BARACK OBAMA WAS TALK PAST RACE,

WHICH HE DID IN 2004

PART OF THE REASON HE BECOME

POPULAR IS THAT HE SAYS THERE'

NO BLACK AMERICA, NO WHITE, NO

RED, NO BLUE, THAT WE COULD COME

TOGETHER AROUND A RHETORICAL

AGREEMENT THAT THE COUNTRY HAS

IMPROVED AND THAT IT'S A PAINFUL

PAST, JUST SAYING THAT AND AGREE

TOG THAT IS WHAT GETS US PAS

RACE

THAT'S WHAT I THINK WHIT

AMERICA WANTS FROM THE

CONVERSATION ON RACE

WHERE BLACK AMERICA SAYS THERE

IS A BLACK AMERICA AND A WHITE

AMERICA, WE CAN SEE IT IN TH

STATISTICAL DIVERGENCE O

EVERYTHING FROM INCOME T

HOUSING OPPORTUNITIES,

OPPORTUNITY FOR COLLEGE TO

HEALTH CARE.

THERE ARE REALLY TWO AMERICAS OR

THREE OR FOUR WHEN YOU COUNT

LATINOS, OTHER GROUPS THAT ARE

DISFAVORED GROUPS, SO, THE

AFRICAN-AMERICANS LOOK AT THIS

CONVERSATION ON RACE AND WE SA

NO, WHAT WE WANT A BLACK

PRESIDENT TO DO IS TO SPEAK TO

OUR PAIN

TO ARTICULATE SOME OF THE THINGS

WE HAVE BEEN SAYING FOR 100, 150

YEAR, BUT NO ONE BELIEVES US

WHEN BLACK PEOPLE SAY THE POLICE

TREAT US DIFFERENTLY, THEY'R

NOT BELIEVED UNTIL YOU SEE

VIDEOTAPE EVIDENCE OF IT, BUT

P PRESIDENT WHO'S FACED TH

TREATMENT CAN SPEAK TO THAT PAIN

FROM A PULPIT OF THE WHITE

HOUSE, SO I THINK YOU HAVE BLACK

AND WHITE AMERICANS JUST WAN

VERY DIFFERENT THINGS.

IT TURNS OUT BARACK OBAM

SATISFIED NEITHER ONE.

>> INTERESTING AND FASCINATING

BOOK

FRACTURED.

THANK YOU SO MUCH.

>> THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR HAVIN

ME

>>> IT'S BEEN MORE THAN A DECADE

SINCE GOVERNOR McGREEVEY STEPPED

DOWN FROM THAT POSITION IN NEW

JERSEY

YESTERDAY, WE SPOKE TO HIM ABOUT

THE WORK HE'S DOING NOW IN TERMS

OF PRISON REHABILITATION

HE'S BEEN KIND ENOUGH TO COM

BACK TO TALK ABOUT SOME OTHE

ISSUES THAT ARE IMPORTANT.

GOOD TO SEE YOU.

A SECOND TIME.

LET'S GO BACK TO THAT MORE THA

A DECADE AGO, WHEN YOU STEPPED

DOWN FROM THE OFFICE OF TH

GOVERNOR AND YOU FAMOUSLY AN

PROUDLY PROCLAIMED YOU WERE

GAY AMERICAN

WOULD YOU HAVE EVER ENVISIONED

BACK THEN, MORE THAN TEN YEARS

AGO, THE SEISMIC CHANGES THA

HAVE TAKEN PLACE IN TERMS OF GAY

RIGHTS, NOT JUST IN THE STATE OF

NEW JERSEY, WHICH WAS A BIT IN

THE FOREFRONT, BUT ALSO IN THE

UNITED STATES?

>> JACK, IT'S UNBELIEVABLE

I MEAN, IF I THOUGHT AS A KID,

YOU KNOW, FROM JERSEY CITY

RIDING MY BICYCLE THAT SOME DAY,

THAT WHO I WAS WAS GOING TO BE

ACCEPTED, I REMEMBER GOING T

THE CARD CATALOG AT THE LOCA

LIBRARY LOOKING UP THE WOR

HOMOSEXUAL

AND THERE WAS NO CARD CATALO

SERIES OF ENTRIES AND YOU HAD TO

GO TO PSYCHIATRIC ILLNESS AND

REMEMBER, I MEAN, EVEN THA

SIMPLE DIVERSION, YOU LOOK A

HOMOSEXUALITY, SEE PSYCHIATRIC

ILLNESSES AND AT THE TIME, THE

AMERICAN MEDICAL SOCIETY AND ALL

SORTS, LIKE UNIVERSALLY.

IT WAS SOMETHING LIKE I DON'

WANT TO OWN THIS

THIS IS --

>> WHY WOULD YOU WANT TO

SAYING YOU WERE SUFFERING FROM A

PSYCHIATRIC ILLNESS?

>> AND SO, JUST TO SEE THE

CHANGES AND ACCEPTANCE AND NOT

ONLY IN THE POPULAR CULTURE, BUT

IN THE FAITH COMMUNITY

GOVERNMENT AND SUPREME COURT

DECISION, THAT WAS SEISMIC

BECAUSE WHAT IT SAID WAS I

SOMEBODY'S NOT GREATER THAN OR

SOMEBODY'S LESS THAN, I REMEMBER

AS SORT OF BEING GOVERNOR AN

YOU KNOW, YOU'RE AT THE APEX O

THE POLITICAL FOOD CHAIN

AND THE NEXT DAY, YOU KNOW

AFTER COMING OUT ANNOUNCING THAT

I'M GAY, YOU KNOW, SORT OF

REALIZING, THANKS TO FRIENDS AND

KEVIN JENNINGS AND NUMEROU

FRIENDS, BECOMING AWARE OF ALL

THE RIGHTS THAT JUST

DISAPPEARED.

DISAPATED OVERNIGHT BECAUSE OF

HOW I SAW MYSELF

>> ATTITUDE.

>> SHAME

EXACTLY.

IT GOES BACK TO I REMEMBER BEING

A BOY SCOUT AND HEARING SOMEBODY

SAY FAGGOT AND THESE KINDS O

DEROGATORY IRAQS AND THINKING,

YANLT CLAIM THAT

SO, FOR THE NEXT GENERATION OF

KIDS TO KNOW WHO YOU ARE IS WH

YOU ARE.

IT'S PART OF CREATION.

IT'S HEALTHY

IT'S GOOD AND IT'S LIKE BLUE

EYES OR BROWN EYES

THIS IS HOW GOD MADE YOU

I DID MY OWN UNHEALTHY

CONVERSION, ATTEMPT AT

CONVERSION, IT DOESN'T WORK.

AND NOW, YOU KNOW, AT THIS POINT

IN MY LIFE TO BE SO GRATEFUL, SO

SELF-ACCEPTING, YOU KNOW, IT'S A

GOOD PLACE FOR A COUNTRY TO BE

>> I'VE SEEN ALL SORTS O

OPINIONS AS TO WHY THIS HAPPENED

SO QUICKLY

WHAT CREATED THIS IMPTOUS.

I WANT TO ASK YOU THE QUESTION

WHY DO YOU THINK IN THE SPAN USE

THE TIME YOU STEPPED DOWN AS THE

STARTING POINT TO THE DECISION

WE GOT FROM THE U.S. SUPREME

COURT FAIRLY RECENTLY.

IN OUR HISTORY, A SHORT PERIOD

OF TIME, WHY DID WE SEE SUCH A

YOU SAID, SEISMIC CHANGE IN SUCH

A SHORT PERIOD OF TIME

>> TO A DEGREE, IT WAS YOU KNOW,

WHETHER IT WAS THE DAVID

ROTHSBERG, PEOPLE THAT HAD COM

OUT, THEY WERE WRITERS AND

AUTHORS, SAW IT IN THE POPULAR

CULTURE IN TERMS OF TELEVISION

AND WRITING.

GAY PEOPLE WERE ALWAYS THERE AND

SO, WHEN PEOPLE ALL OF A SUDDE

COME OUT TO THEIR MOTHER O

FATHER OR, I REMEMBER WHEN I

TALKED TO MY OWN PARNTSS AND

FAMILY

THAT'S A SEA CHANGE AND ALL OF A

SUDDEN, THIS IS SOMEBODY YOU

REALLY LOVE IS TELLING YOU THI

IS WHO YOU ARE AND THE NEX

PERSON AND THE NEXT PERSON

AND I THINK ALSO TRAGICALLY, THE

AIDS CRISIS.

AS HEINOUS AND PAINFUL, TH

COMMUNITY ORGANIZED, SO THIS I

A MATTER OF LIFE AND DEATH

THIS ISN'T A NEGOTIABLE ISSU

AND THAT CREATED A POLITICAL

FORCE THAT WAS BUILT UPON

TRAGEDY.

>> SO, IF YOU'RE A YOUNG MAN

NOW, IF YOU'RE THE YOUNG 10,

15-YEAR-OLD, NOT BACK IN YOU

TIME, BUT TODAY.

AND YOU'RE TALKING WITH THAT

YOUNG MAN, WHAT DO YOU TELL HI

OR HER ABOUT WHAT THEI

OBSTACLES ARE QUOING GOING T

BE

>> INTERESTING QUESTION.

MY FRIEND KEVIN JENNINGS HAD M

SPEAK TO A GROUP OF YOUN

PEOPLE

IN WASHINGTON, D.C

THIS IS A WHILE BACK

I THINK IT REALLY DIFFERS IN

DIFFERENT PARTS OF THE COUNTRY

THERE WAS A YOUNG GAL FROM IDAHO

WHO HAD COME OUT IN HER JUNIOR

YEAR OF HIGH SCHOOL.

SHE WAS KICKED DOWN A SMAL

FLIGHT OF STAIRS

SHE WAS BERATED BY A GROUP O

BOYS

THE VICE PRINCIPAL DID NOTHING

THE PRINCIPAL STAYED AWAY FROM

IT AND SHE WAS VERY MUCH IN PAIN

AND ALONE.

NOW, I KNOW THAT HAPPENED, I

KNOW IF SOMEBODY CAME OUT IN NEW

YORK OR NEW JERSEY OR TH

PLACES, PEOPLE WOULD BE LOVING

SUPPORTIVE

SO, IT'S NOT -- WE LIVE IN A

BLESSED COUNTRY, BUT THERE ISN'T

UNIVERSAL ACCEPTANCE, SO, IF

THAT YOUNG PERSON WAS IN NEW

JERSEY OR NEW YORK, I THINK TH

ADVICE WOULD BE VERY DIFFERENT

SO, WHAT'S SO IMPORTANT IS THA

WHEN PEOPLE SUCH AS YOURSELF AND

THE MEDIA AND ELECTED OFFICIAL

AND THE SUPREME COURT SAYS THI

IS THE LAW OF THE LAND, IT HELPS

TO PENETRATE THOSE DARK PLACES

WHERE TOLERANCE HAS YET TO

OCCUR.

>> ONE OF THE REAL CHALLENGE

FOR ME IS WHEN YOU GROW UP, WHEN

YOU'RE GAY, IN MY GENERAL RARK

THERE WAS NO PLACE TO GO TO.

IN THE SENSE THAT JACK YOU KNOW,

SORT OF BEING IRISH CATHOLIC

THIS IS WHERE YOUR GRANDFATHER

CAME FROM OR ITALIAN CATHOLIC OR

RUSSIAN JEW, WHATEVER YOUR

BACKGROUND IS.

BUT WHEN YOU'RE GAY, THA

HAPPENS ONE PERSON AT A TIME AND

TYPICALLY, UNTIL RECENTLY, YOU

PARENTS WEREN'T GAY.

THEY WERE HETERO SEXUAL,

STRAIGHT COUPLE.

SO, IT WAS HARD FOR THAT PERSO

TO UNDERSTAND, HAVE A SENSE OF

SELF-IDENTITY.

AND SO, I THINK ORG NATIONS LIKE

LISTEN, GLAD, SO MAN

ORGANIZATIONS HAVE BEEN HOPEFU

IN BEING SUPPORTIVE OF THE LGB

COMMUNITY.

PARENTS ORGANIZATIONS THAT ARE

SUPPORTIVE, SO, I THINK WHAT

WE'RE GOING TO SEE HAPPENING I

THAT THE ADVOCACY COMMUNITY IS

GOING TO HOLD THE EDUCATIONA

COMMUNITY IN THOSE CASES WHERE

PEOPLE DON'T STEP UP, THEY'R

GOING TO HOLD THEM ACCOUNTABLE

TO THE LETTER OF THE LAW BECAUSE

AT THE END OF THE DAY, YOU KNOW,

THIS IS ABOUT THE SUCCESS OF A

CHILD.

THIS IS ABOUT A WL WILLINGNESS

FOR A A CHILD TO UNDERSTAND THAT

THEY HAVE THE RIGHT OR

EXPECTATION TO HAVE THE SAME

DIGNITY OF ANY CHILD

IT HAPPENED IN THE EAST, CLEARLY

IN THE WEST, BUT SAME TOKEN, I

WAS DISPINTED WITH THIS GIRL I

IDAHO, BUT I WAS OUT

CAMPAIGNING.

AND I WAS AMAZED DESPITE ALL M

EASTERN BIASES AGAINST THE

CENTER OF THIS COUNTRY, PEOPLE

GOT IT

PEOPLE WERE WELCOMING.

THERE WAS THIS SHIP THAT YOU

TALKED ABOUT, SO, I THINK WE

HAVE TO CONTINUE TO BE VILLAGE

LENT

WITH THE LAW, BUT I THINK AS

PARENTS ADVOCACY GROUPS AN

YOUNG PEOPLE THEMSELVES, WE'LL

MAKE SURE IT GETS DONE

>> LAST QUESTION FOR YOU AND A

I LOOK AT YOU AND TALK WITH YO

AND SEE WHERE YOU HAVE GONE WITH

YOUR LIFE AND HOW YOU DISCOVERED

WHO YOU ARE IN YOUR FAITH AN

YOUR WORK IN PRISON MINISTRIES

I CAN'T HELP BUT WONDERING AND I

KNEW YOU BACK WHEN YOU WERE

GOVERNOR

>> SURE.

ALL THE GOOD THINGS YOU'VE DON

ON SO MANY -

>> THAT'S KIND OF YOU, BUT YOU

ALSO

I CAN'T HELP BUT WONDERING

WHETHER YOU EVER SAY T

YOURSELF, I WONDER IF THINGS HAD

BEEN DIFFERENT AND I WAS MAKIN

THIS PRONOUNCEMENT TODAY THAT

AM PROUDLY A GAY AMERICAN, I

YOUR LIFE WOULD HAVE CHANGED A

MUCH AS IT DID OR PEOPLE WOULD

HAVE SAID, YOU'RE STILL OU

GOVERNOR

>> IT'S YOU DON'T KNOW, BUT AL

I CAN DO IS TO BE GRATEFUL

TO GROW UP IN THIS TIME.

TO GROW UP IN A TIME WHEN MY

FRIEND MARK JUST WROTE A BOO

TALKING ABOUT TRAVERING FROM A

TIME WHEN HOMOSEXUALITY WA

LISTEDs A A PSYCHIATRIC ILLNES

AND TO SEE IT BECOME A REALITY

FOR TOM TO HAVE AN

AFRICAN-AMERICAN PRESIDENT, TO

HAVE A TIME IN AMERICA WHERE

PEOPLE ARE TREATED WHO THEY AR

BECAUSE OF DR. KING SAID, TH

CONTENTS OF THEIR CHARACTER AN

THAT'S REALLY A NOBLING.

EVEN MY OWN WORK IN PRISON

MINISTRY HAS CHANGED ME IN

REALLY PROFOUND WAYS

AS I RECEIVE FURTHER AND FURTHER

FROM THE POLITICAL CONTEXT, TO

BE OUT THERE LOOKING AT PEOPLE

AND GRAPPLING, YOU KNOW, IT WA

MY OWN, I WOULD ARGUE MY OWN

IMPERFECTION, MY OWN NEED TO B

IN THE CLOSET, AS IRRATIONAL AND

UNHEALTHY AS THAT WAS, OUT O

THAT PAIN CAME A SENSE O

COMPASSION FOR OTHERS THAT I'M

NOT SAYING I WOULDN'T HAVE

NECESSARILY HAD, BUT THA

EXPERIENCE, WHEN I TALK TO THE

PEOPLE I WORK WITH, I THINK THEY

SEE ME DIFFERENTLY FRANKLY

BECAUSE OF MY FAILINGS IN LIFE

IT'S BECAUSE AND I PROBABL

WOULDN'T BE DOING PRISON

MINISTRY IF I HAD SUCCEEDED AS

GOVERNOR AND MOVED ON TO

WHATEVER I DID

IT WAS THAT CRASH, IT WAS THAT

FALL, IT WAS THAT BURN TO TH

GROUND THAT CAUSED ME TO

DISASSEMBLE AND REASSEMBLE WHO

AND WHAT I AM AND WHAT I BELIEVE

IN

THAT CAUSED ME TO BE MORE OPEN

TO BE MORE COMPASSIONATE

TO BE MORE UNDERSTANDING, THAT

GAVE ME A WINDOW TO MY OWN SOU

AND GOT WILLING TO THE SOULS O

OTHERS, SO I'M GRATEFUL FOR IT

AS MY DEAR FRIEND ALEXANDE

PELOSI SAID, YOURS WAS A FALL TO

GRACE.

BECAUSE YOU MIGHT NOT HAVE BEE

IN THIS POSITION

HAD YOU NOT TAKEN THAT FALL.

>> PERHAPS THAT'S A GOOD MESSAGE

FOR US TO LEAVE THIS

CONVERSATION ON.

>> THANK YOU

>> GOVERNOR, IT'S ALWAYS A

PLEASURE

>> GOD BLESS

>> THANK YOU

>>> OUR LOVABLE, LOYAL AND

PLAYFUL PETS

THERE ARE MORE THAN 1. MILLION

OF THEM IN NEW YORK CITY ALONE

AND FOR A LOT OF US, THEY'RE OUR

BEST FRIENDS, BUT IN ITS NEW

SERIES WHICH STARTS TONIGHT, PBS

NATURE GIVES US A LOOK AT TH

DOUBLE LIVES OF OUR DOMESTICATED

ANIMALS AND WE GET TO SEE THEM

AS WE NEVER HAVE BEFORE.

LET'S TAKE A LOOK.

♪♪

EVERY DAY, OUR PETS ENGAGE I

BEHAVIOR THAT'S FAMILIAR TO US

BUT WHY DO HAMSTERS LOVE TO RU

ON A WHEEL

WHAT MAKES A RABBIT HOP?

HOW DOES YOUR DOG UNDERSTAND THE

RULES OF THE PACK?

IT'S BECAUSE OUR PETS FO

THOUSANDS OF YEARS WERE WILD

ANIMALS FOR MILLIONS MORE.

TO RECORRECT WITH THAT WIL

SIDE, OUR PETS PLAY.

AND THEIR GAMES REQUIRE SOME

EXTRAORDINARY SENSES AND SPECIAL

SKILLS

NOW, WITH SPY CAMERAS AND MOVING

X-RAYS, FILM MAKERS HAVE

CAPTURED THE HIDDEN POWERS O

OUR PETS

YOU'LL NEVER LOOK AT THEM TH

SAME WAY AGAIN

AND JOINING ME NOW TO TALK ABOUT

THE SERIES IS NATURE'S EXECUTIVE

PRODUCER, FRED COFFMAN

WELCOME.

FRED, SURPRISINGLY ENOUGH,

NATURE IS IS USUALLY ASSOCIATE

WITH NATURE.

WILD CREATURES OUT IN THE WILD

SO, WHY THIS TWO-PART SERIES O

PETS

>> THEY'RE THE MOST OBVIOU

ANIMALS TO LOOK AT BECAUSE W

KNOW THEM SO WELL AND THEY'R

RIGHT IN FRONT OF US AND FOR U

ON NATURE, WE DON'T HAVE T

SPEND WEEKS TRYING TO FIND THEM,

BUT IF YOU LOOK AT YOUR PET AN

WATCH THEIR BEHAVIORS, YOU

REALIZE IT ALL HARKENS BACK TO

WHEN THEY WERE WILD ANIMALS, SO,

SO MUCH OF WHAT YOU SEE THAT YOU

MAYBE DON'T UNDERSTAND, IT HAS

TO DO WHEN THEY WERE WILD.

>> THAT'S THE HEADLINE OF TH

SERIES, RIGHT?

THAT EVEN THOUGH THEY'VE SPENT

30,000 YEARS WITH PEOPLE, TH

MILLIONS OF YEARS MANIFEST

ITSELF, SO PREDATORS WILL AC

OUT THE PREDATORY BEHAVIOR, EVEN

IF IT'S JUST AT PLAY AND THOSE

PRACTICE RUNNING AWAY.

>> EXACTLY

AND WHAT WE DID WAS WE BROUGHT

THE SORT OF CAMERA TECHNOLOGY,

ALL THE BELLS AND WHISTLES AND

TOYS THAT WE WOULD BRING OUT T

THE WILD TO SHOOT THE ANIMAL

INTO OUR HOMES TO LOOK AT THEM

THE WAY WE WOULD LOOK AT THE

WILD ANIMALS

>> TALK ABOUT THAT

I'M ALWAYS AMAZED, WE TALK A

LOT, EVEN WHEN NOT IN FRONT OF

THE CAMERA

EVERY SERIES, IT SEEMS YOU BRING

SOMETHING NEW.

THIS ONE, AS IN MOST OF THEM, WE

ARE RIGHT THERE IN THE MIDDLE OF

THE ACTION

IN ONE SCENE, DOWN THE RABBI

HOLE

BUT IN THIS CASE, AS WE SAW IN

THE PREVIEW, YOU GET INSIDE TH

ANIMAL ITSELF.

WHAT'S HAPPENING

>> WELL, YOU KNOW, WE WANTED A

GET THESE MOVING X-RAYS TO SHO

HOW THE BONES AND SPINE WORK

THE FILM MAKERS WENT TO TH

ROYAL VETERINARY COLLEGE O

LONDON TO USE A FLOUR SCOPE,

WHICH IS A ING X-RAY AND IT'

ILLUSTRATED BEAUTIFULLY WITH

HAMSTERS

>> WE DON'T SPEND A LOT OF TIM

THINKING ABOUT HAMSTERS, BUT I

THIS SERIES, YOU WILL SEE THEM

IN A VERY UNIQUE WAY AND HOW

THEY RUN BECAUSE THEY WERE PRE

ANIMALS.

RUNNING IS WHAT THEY DID

BEING ACTIVE AT DAWN AND DUS

WHEN THEY WOULD NEED TO FEAR FOR

THEIR LIVES IS WHEN THEY RUN THE

MOST

AND WE FOUND WHEN THEY'R

RUNNING ON THE WHEEL, THEY

ACTUALLY GET A RUNNER'S HIGH

FROM THAT.

>> THAT'S RIGHT.

AGAIN, WE TALKED BEFORE SITTIN

DOWN HERE.

I ASKED YOU WHAT YOUR FAVORITE

STORIES WERE

TELL US.

>> I HAD NEVER SEEN THIS BEFORE,

BUT THE HAMSTERS, THE WAY THEY

TAKE FOOD.

AND KIND OF STORE IT IN THEI

MOUTHS AND THEIR POUCHS.

AND THEY ACTUALLY WORK DOWN TH

NUTS AND WHATEVER FOOD THEY'RE

STORING DOWN TO THEIR HIPS AND

THEY DON'T SECRETE SALIVA, S

WHEN THEY FILL THEMSELVES WITH

FOOD AND TAKE IT TO WHERE THEY

WANT TO STORE IT, THEY SORT OF

SPIT OUT, IF YOU WILL, THE FOOD.

THEY ACTUALLY USE THEIR HANDS TO

PUSH UP THE FOOD THAT'S BEEN

DOWN BY THEIR HIPS AND THERE'S

NO SALIVA ON IT SO IT'

ESSENTIALLY FRESH FOOD, SO I I

HADN'T SEEN THAT BEFORE.

AND YOU LIKED THE TOM AND JERR

STORY.

>> CAT AND MOUSE, IN THE

PRODUCER'S HOME, HE HAS A CAT.

THE CAT BROUGHT A MOLE INTO TH

HOUSE.

OF COURSE, A CAT DOESN'T HAVE TO

HUNT MICE.

IT GETS FED, BUT IT BROUGHT IT

IN TO CHASE AND PLAY

IT WANTS TO CHASE SOMETHING, SO,

THE INTERACTION BETWEEN THE TW

IS REALLY CHARMING AND O

COURSE, THE MOUSE GETS AWA

AND --

>> IT DOES GET AWAY, RIGHT

>> JUST LIKE TOM AND JERRY

MY FAVORITE STORY.

ARE THE DOGS OF KUS CUE.

>> A PLACE WHERE PEOPLE LE

THEIR DOGS OUT AND THESE DOG

LIKE KIDS ARE GANGS, THEY GE

TOGETHER

THEY TRAVEL TO THE PARK.

THEY CROSS THE STREET.

THEY WAIT FOR TRAFFIC.

>> FIGHT FOR THE GIRLS

>> DON'T INTERACT WITH THE

HUMANS

YEAH, SO, I MEAN AT THE END OF

THE EVENING, YOU KNOW, THEY COME

WAK TO THEIR HOMES

I DON'T KNOW HOW MANY PLACES

THIS HAPPENS, BUT WE FOUND I

IN -

>> THAT'S REALLY WHAT HAPPENS.

NOT STAGED IN ANY WAY.

>> NOT STAGED.

SORT O F A REMARKABLE STORY.

IN THE PLACES WELL-KNOWN FOR

THIS KIND OF BEHAVIOR.

ZPL IT'S A FASCINATING SERIES AS

ALL YOURS ARE.

THANKS SO MUCH FOR TALKING WIT

US

YOU CAN WATCH PETS WILD AT HEART

ON NATURE TONIGHT, OCTOBER 21s

AND NEXT WEDNESDAY, OCTOBE

28th, ON OUR PBS STATION

ALSO WATCH THE FULL SERIES

STARTING NEXT WEEK A

13.ORG/NATURE.

>>> THIS ENTIRE EPISODE AN

OTHER ORIGINAL CONTENT IS NO

AVAILABLE ON LINE AT

METROFOCUS.ORG ON THE iPAD O

iPHONE APP

WHILE YOU'RE ON OUR WEBSITE,

CATCH THE LATEST NEWS, TRAFFIC

AND WEATHER REPORT OR TELL U

WHAT YOU THINK

IT'S ALL JAUS CLICK AWAY

TILL THEN, REMEMBER TO FOLLOW US

ON FACEBOOK OR TWITTER FOR UP TO

THE MINUTE INFORMATION IMPAGTING

YOUR COMMUNITY

SEE YOU AGAIN NEXT TIME.

>> FUNDING WAS PROVIDED BY -