MetroFocus

FULL EPISODE

MetroFocus: Feb 17, 2017

State Assemblyman Marcos Crespo talks about the State Assembly’s bills to protect immigrants including one that would make New York a sanctuary state. In honor of Maya Angelou and Black History Month we’ll take an in depth look at her life in this must see upcoming PBS documentary. Warren Buffett's son, Peter shares his opinion on the current problems in our community.

AIRED: February 17, 2017 | 0:26:47
ABOUT THE PROGRAM
TRANSCRIPT

>>> TONIGHT ON "METROFOCUS,"

ASSEMBLY MEMBERS IN ALBANY

RESPOND TO PRESIDENT TRUMP'S

PLANS FOR SANCTUARY CITIES BY

TRYING TO ENSURE THAT NEW YORK

STATE BECOMES A SAVE HAVEN FOR

ALL.

>>> POET, AUTHOR AND CIVIL

RIGHTS LEADER MAYA ANGELOU IS

HONORED.

WE'LL HAVE A PREVIEW.

>>> AND HIS DAD WARREN MIGHT BE

ONE OF THE RICHEST MEN IN THE

WORLD, BUT PETER BUFFET IS HERE

TO SHARE HIS PHILOSOPHY THAT

LIFE IS WHAT YOU MAKE IT.

ALL THAT AND MORE AS

"METROFOCUS" STARTS RIGHT NOW.

♪ ♪

>> THIS IS "METROFOCUS" WITH

RAFAEL PI ROMAN, JACK FORD, AND

JENNA FLANAGAN.

FUNDING FOR THIS PROGRAM WAS

PROVIDED BY --

>> CORPORATE FUNDING FOR

"METROFOCUS" WAS PROVIDED BY

MUTUAL OF AMERICA, YOUR

RETIREMENT COMPANY.

AND BY PSE&G, SERVING CUSTOMERS,

STRENGTHENING THE BUSINESS

COMMUNITY AND INVESTING IN THE

FUTURE.

>>> EVEN THOUGH HE'S ONLY A FEW

WEEKS IN HIS PRESIDENCY, DONALD

TRUMP HAS FOLLOWED THROUGH ON A

NUMBER OF CAMPAIGN PROMISES.

AMONG THEM, CRACKING DOWN ON

IMMIGRATION, MOVING FORWARD WITH

PLANS FOR A WALL ON THE BORDER,

AND THREATENING MUNICIPALITIES

THAT ACT AS SANCTUARY CITIES

WITH FINANCIAL RETRIBUTION.

LARGELY IN RESPONSE, THE STATE

ASSEMBLY PASSED LEGISLATION THAT

WOULD MAKE NEW YORK A SANCTUARY

STATE.

BUT WHAT MIGHT THIS LEGISLATION

MEAN FOR NEW YORK IF IT MAKES IT

TO THE GOVERNOR'S DESK?

JOIN US NOW TO TALK ABOUT THIS

AND THE POTENTIAL RAMIFICATIONS

IS THE CHAIR OF THE ASSEMBLY FOR

THE PUERTO RICAN AND HISPANIC

TASK FORCE.

SO COULD YOU PLEASE EXPLAIN WHAT

THE BILL THAT THE ASSEMBLY JUST

PASSED ENTAILS?

>> MAINLY TO ENFORCE --

REINFORCE OUR COMMITMENT AS A

STATE TO OUR DIVERSITY, TO THE

FACT THAT HISTORY WHERE THIS

STATE, THAT THIS NATION WAS

BUILT ON THE BACKS OF

IMMIGRANTS.

THE STATE THAT HAS THE STATUE OF

LIBERTY AT ITS HARBOR, PROMISING

TO WELCOME THOSE THAT NEED AN

OPPORTUNITY.

AND NEW YORK PROVIDES THAT.

SO WE EXPAND ON THAT.

YOU HAVE TO UNDERSTAND, WITH THE

FEDERAL ACTIONS AND THE THREAT

UNDER THIS ADMINISTRATION TO GO

AFTER IMMIGRANTS, THEY SAY ONLY

THOSE THAT ARE CRIMINALS.

THAT'S NOT WHAT THEY'VE DONE.

THEY'VE GONE AFTER IMMIGRANTS IN

GENERAL, DOCUMENTED AND

UNDOCUMENTED ALIKE.

AND WHAT WE WANT TO DO IS MAKE

SURE THAT WE CODIFY CERTAIN

PROTECTIONS THAT WE'VE BEEN

OFFERING IN NEW YORK CITY, BUT

WE BELIEVE AS A STATE WHAT

GROWING DIVERSITY SHOULD

RECOGNIZE.

WE OFFER LEGAL ASSISTANCE TO

INDIVIDUALS WHO ARE FACING

CERTAIN IMMIGRATION CHARGES.

WE WANT TO MAKE SURE THAT IS IF

YOU ARE STOPPED BY THE POLICE

REGARDLESS OF YOUR STATUS, THAT

YOU'LL HAVE AN OPPORTUNITY TO BE

PROTECTED AND DEFENDED IN COURT.

WE WANT TO MAKE SURE THAT LOCAL

LAW ENFORCEMENT AGENCIES, WHICH

ARE ALREADY BURDENED BY THE

NEEDS THAT PROTECT PUBLIC SAFETY

BUT ARE UNDERFUNDED DON'T HAVE

TO EXECUTE THE WORK OF FEDERAL

AGENCIES.

LET THEM DO THEIR JOB.

THAT IS AN UNFUNDED MANDATE TO

OUR STATES AND LOCALITIES.

NOR SHOULD THEY BE GOING OUT OF

THEIR WAY TO REALLY HURT

COMMUNITIES BY ASKING FOR

INFORMATION THAT IS IRRELEVANT

TO THE ISSUE AT HAND, AND

CODIFYING OR LISTING THAT

INFORMATION FOR FEDERAL AGENCY

PURPOSES.

WE DON'T BELIEVE THEY SHOULD BE

DOING THAT.

>> THERE'S A LOT OF THINGS THAT

THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT DOES THAT

CITIES DON'T LIKE BUT THEY DON'T

PASS STATE LAWS TO CODIFY IT.

LET ME QUOTE DEAN MURRAY, A

REPUBLICAN FROM LONG ISLAND,

SAID THIS BILL WOULD TIE THE

HANDS OF LAW ENFORCEMENT.

HE SAID, WE PASS LAWS FOR A

REASON, TO PROTECT THE PUBLIC.

NOW WE'RE ASKING OUR LOCAL LAW

ENFORCEMENT TO COMPLETELY IGNORE

SOME OF THOSE LAWS.

DOES HE HAVE A POINT?

>> NOT AT ALL.

HE'S COMPLETELY INCORRECT.

THE FACT OF THE MATTER IS

THIS -- WE'RE NOT SUGGESTING

POLICE OFFICERS DON'T DO THEIR

JOB.

WE'RE SAYING LOCAL POLICE

OFFICERS SHOULD BE FOCUSED ON

SAFETY IN THE COMMUNITY THEY

PATROL.

THEIR JOB IS NOT TO DO FEDERAL

AGENCY WORK OF IDENTIFYING

PEOPLE WHO MAY OR MAY NOT BE

DOCUMENTED, CREATING LISTS FOR

THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT TO HAVE

THEIR ENFORCEMENT AGENCIES

FOLLOW UP ON.

WE'RE SAYING TO THE POLICE

OFFICERS AND SHERIFFS SHOULD

FOCUS ON LOCAL ENFORCEMENT OF

LAWS AND REGULATIONS,

ABSOLUTELY.

NOBODY IS SUGGESTING ANYTHING

CONTRARY.

NOT TO MENTION, CONCERN ABOUT

SAFETY.

NEW YORK CITY HAS BEEN A

SANCTUARY CITY FOR A LONG TIME

UNDER DIFFERENT ADMINISTRATIONS.

WE'VE HAD PROTECTIONS TO THE

IMMIGRANT COMMUNITY.

NO CITY IS MORE BURDENED BY THE

THREAT OF TERRORISM THAN NEW

YORK CITY.

AND YET LOOK AT THE DATA.

AS MUCH AS WE HAVE ENHANCED OUR

SANCTUARY CITY POLICIES, WE HAVE

SEEN A CONTINUOUS DECLINE IN

CRIME ACROSS THE BOARD.

AND THE REASON FOR THAT IS

SIMPLE -- THE MORE YOU BRING

THESE IMMIGRANT NEW YORKERS OUT

OF THE SHADOWS AND INTO SOCIETY,

THE SAFER WE ALL ARE, TO NOT

HAVE SOMEBODY HAVE TO HIDE BUT

TO BE A PART OF OUR COMMUNITIES.

AND IT'SEMONSTRATED TO

LOWER OUR CRIME.

SO YOU KNOW WHAT?

I DISAGREE WITH MY COLLEAGUE.

WE'VE HAD THIS DEBATE ON THE

FLOOR.

WE BELIEVE THAT WE HAVE PROVEN

THAT THESE POLICIES MAKE NEW

YORKERS SAFER, AND THEY ENSURE

THAT WE WELCOME OUR IMMIGRANT

BROTHERS AND SISTERS.

WE SHOULDN'T TREAT THIS

GENERATION OF IMGRANTS ANY

DIFFERENT.

>> PRESIDENT TRUMP HAS

THREATENED SANCTUARY CITIES OR

ANY LOCALITY, INCLUDING STATES,

WITH FINANCIAL REPERCUSSIONS IF

THEY DON'T CHANGE THEIR WAYS.

WHAT KIND OF RISK ARE WE LOOKING

AT?

>> WITH ALL DO RESPECT TO THE

PRESIDENT, THERE ARE LAWS HE HAS

TO ABIDE BY.

DESPITE HIS BEST WISHES.

THE FACT IS, HE'S NOT ALLOWED TO

SIMPLY TAKE AWAY SAY EDUCATION

DOLLARS BECAUSE WE DIDN'T COMPLY

WITH A LAW ENFORCEMENT ISSUE.

HE COULD ONLY THREATEN LAW

ENFORCEMENT DOLLARS TO NEW YORK

STATE IF HE WANTED TO ENFORCE IT

THAT WAY.

I WOULD QUESTION WHETHER THE

PRESIDENT WANTS TO WEAKEN OUR

ABILITY TO DEFEND OURSELVES FROM

REAL TERRORIST THREATS.

>> THAT'S THE ONLY MONEY HE CAN

LEGALLY TAKE AWAY IS HOMELAND

SECURITY?

>> ABSOLUTELY.

YOU CANNOT THREATEN VARIOUS

RESOURCES BECAUSE YOU WANT YOUR

WAY.

MOSTLY WHAT THE PRESIDENT SHOULD

REALIZE IS TO START LISTENING

AND NOT BELIEVE THAT WE ARE

TAKING A POLITICAL POSITION.

PRESIDENT OBAMA WAS A DEMOCRAT

AND DEPORTED MORE INDIVIDUALS.

NOBODY IS SUGGESTING THAT PEOPLE

WHO COMMIT CRIMES SHOULDN'T BE

DEPORTED, BUT WE SHOULDN'T

PROFILE INDIVIDUALS, WE

SHOULDN'T LIST THEM OUT BECAUSE

OF THEIR RACE, RELIGION OR POINT

OF ORIGIN.

WE SHOULD RECOGNIZE THAT ALL OF

THESE IMMIGRANTS ARE

CONTRIBUTING MEMBERS OF SOCIETY,

PAYING TAXES, STARTING

BUSINESSES AND MAKING US WHO WE

ARE.

>> IN 15 SECONDS, WHAT IS THE

LIKELIHOOD THAT THIS WILL PASS

IN THE REPUBLICAN CONTROLLED

SENATE?

>> THEY HAVEN'T EXPRESSED AN

INTEREST YET.

WE EXPECT THEM TO TAKE THIS

ISSUE SERIOUSLY, NOT POLITICIZE

IT, BUT LOOK AT THE REAL IMPACTS

OF NEW YORK STATE.

IF THEY ARE HONEST AND TRUE TO

THEIR CONSTITUENCY AND WHAT THE

DATA SHOWS, IMPROVED SAFETY AND

ECONOMIC ACTIVITY, BY BRINGING

FAMILIES OUT OF THE SHADOWS,

THEY SHOULD APPROVE THIS

LEGISLATION.

OTHERWISE, THEY'RE FALLING

VICTIM TO THE POLITICS THAT ARE

RUINING OUR COUNTRY.

>> ASSEMBLYMAN, THANK YOU FOR

JOINING US.

>> THANK YOU.

♪ ♪

>> OUT OF HISTORY'S SHAME, I

RISE.

UP FROM A PAST ROOTED IN PAIN, I

RISE.

I'M A BLACK OCEAN LEAPING AND

WISE, WELLING AND SWELLING.

I BEAR IN THE TIME, BRINGING THE

GIFTS THAT MY ANCESTORS GAVE.

I AM THE HOPE AND THE DREAM OF

THE SLAVE, AND SO I RISE.

I RISE.

>> THAT WAS LATE POET AUTHOR,

CIVIL RIGHTS ACTIVIST, DR. MAYA

ANGELOU READING FROM "STILL I

RISE," HER EMPOWERING POEM ABOUT

THE STRUGGLE TO OVERCOME

PREJUDICE AND INJUSTICE.

THAT POEM AND HER BEST SELLING

AUTOBIOGRAPHY "I KNOW WHY THE

CAGED BIRD SINGS" ARE AMONG HER

MANY ACHIEVEMENTS.

PERHAPS WHAT SHE VALUED ABOVE

ALL ELSE, THE WORK ON BEHALF OF

SOCIAL JUSTICE ALONGSIDE MARTIN

LUTHER KING, JR., AND MALCOLM X.

A NEW DOCUMENTARY ABOUT HER

LIFE, "AMERICAN MASTERS, MAYA

ANGELOU, AND STILL I RISE"

REVEALS MORE.

TAKE A LOOK.

>> EVERYBODY IN THE WORLD USED

HIS WORDS.

THE WRITER HAS TO TAKE THE MOST

KNOWN THINGS AND PUT THEM

TOGETHER IN SUCH A WAY THAT A

READER SAYS I NEVER THOUGHT OF

IT THAT WAY BEFORE.

MY MOTHER'S BOYFRIEND RAPED ME.

I WAS 7.

SO I STOPPED SPEAKING.

IN THOSE FIVE YEARS, I READ

EVERY BOOK IN THE LOOK SCHOOL

LIBRARY.

WHEN I DECIDED TO SPEAK, I HAD A

LOT TO SAY.

>> MAYA WAS A DANCER.

SHE SANG, SHE WAS AN ACTRESS.

>> SHE WAS A BEAUTIFUL

SCULPTURE.

>> OF COURSE, SHE WAS A WRITER.

>> WHEN I REACH FOR THE PEN TO

WRITE, I HAVE TO SCRAPE IT

ACROSS THOSE SCARS.

>> MAYA WAS RESPONSIBLE FOR

TEACHING ME WHY I SHOULD KNOW

MORE ABOUT MY ROOTS.

I REMEMBER HER BEING VERY ANGRY,

VERY ANGRY.

>> MY MOTHER TAUGHT ME A LOT

ABOUT JUSTICE.

A LOT ABOUT DOING WHAT'S RIGHT.

>> IT WAS A VERY IMPORTANT

LITERARY FEAT.

>> "CAGED BIRD" WAS REALLY

ALMOST ANOTHER BIBLE FOR ME.

>> IT WAS THE OPENING FOR ME TO

WANTING TO BE A WRITER.

>> IT WAS THE FIRST TIME I READ

SOMETHING THAT RESONATED.

IT TOUCHED THE VERY YOUNG

GIRLISH PART IN ME.

IT REFLECTED MY OWN MOTHER'S

LIFE.

>> WHEN I READ IT, I COULDN'T

BELIEVE THAT SHE WAS FREE ENOUGH

TO TALK ABOUT IT.

>> I READ THOSE WORDS AND

THOUGHT, SOMEBODY KNOWS WHO I

AM.

>> AND JOINING ME NOW ARE THE

FILM'S CO-DIRECTORS AND

PRODUCERS, BOB HERCULES AND RITA

COBURN BLACK.

PLEASURE TO HAVE YOU BOTH HERE.

WHEN SOMEONE IS DESCRIBED AS

LARGER THAN LIFE OR A FORCE OF

NATURE, IT SOUNDS LIKE A CLICHE.

BUT AFTER WATCHING THIS

DOCUMENTARY, I DON'T KNOW A

BETTER WAY TO DESCRIBE THIS

WOMAN, MAYA ANGELOU.

HOW DID YOU GET INVOLVED IN THE

PROJECT, AND DID YOU HAVE A

PERSONAL RELATIONSHIP WITH HER

BEFORE SHE PASSED?

RITA, YOU FIRST.

>> WELL, I GOT INVOLVED IN THE

PROJECT WITH BOB.

WE DIDN'T KNOW EACH OTHER AT

FIRST, BUT I HAD BEEN WORKING

WITH OPRAH RADIO, AND BESIDES

HAVING DONE A LOT OF

DOCUMENTARIES IN CHICAGO, I ALSO

WORKED WITH RADIO AND FILM.

AND SO SHE WAS ONE OF MY HOSTS.

AND AS A RESULT OF THAT, OPRAH

WANTED ME TO GO TO HER HOME SO

THAT SHE DIDN'T HAVE TO LEAVE.

SHE WAS IN HER LATE 70s AT THE

TIME, 2006 TO 2010.

AND WHEN I GOT THERE, MAYA

ANGELOU SAID YOU CAN STAY WITH

ME.

SO THAT WAS 2006 TO 2010, I HAD

THAT ACCESS OF BEING THERE THREE

TO FOUR DAYS A WEEK A MONTH.

AND I HEARD THE STORIES.

AND I WAS RE-READING THE BOOK.

SO IT DID BECOME A PERSONAL

RELATIONSHIP, AND IT BECAME ONE

WHERE IT WAS ALWAYS PROFESSIONAL

ON ONE HAND.

YOU MUST HAVE HER INFORMATION

READY.

AT THE SAME TIME, IT BECAME A

MENTORSHIP.

IT BECAME SOMEWHAT OF A

FRIENDSHIP.

AND IT BECAME FAMILY LIFE.

BUT MORE THAN ANYTHING, I SAW

HOW ONE WOMAN'S LIFE TRACKED

HISTORY IN THIS COUNTRY, AND

INTERNATIONALLY FROM THE JIM

CROW STYLES TO THE GREAT

MIGRATION AND OVERSEAS, AND THAT

WAS A VOICE WE DID NOT HAVE IN

OUR HISTORY BOOKS.

A BLACK WOMAN'S VOICE IN OUR

HISTORY ON WHAT HAS HAPPENED IN

THIS COUNTRY.

>> BOB, FOR THE SAKE OF TIME,

LET ME JUST JUMP TO "I KNOW WHY

THE CAGED BIRD SINGS," THAT

FAMOUS AUTOBIOGRAPHY.

WHY DO YOU THINK THAT STORY

RESONATES FOR READERS ACROSS

ETHNIC BOUNDARIES AND WHY WAS

SHE SO HESITANT TO DO IT IN THE

FIRST PLACE?

>> WELL, SHE WAS HESITANT

BECAUSE SHE SAW HERSELF AS A

POET AND PLAYWRIGHT.

THERE'S A GREAT STORY THAT WE

DECONSTRUCT THIS STORY HOW THAT

STORY GOT WRITTEN.

BOB LOOMIS, WHO WORKED FOR

RANDOM HOUSE AT THE TIME, WAS

NOTIFIED ABOUT HER STORY TELLING

ABILITIES.

HE KEPT TRYING TO CONVINCE HER

TO DO HER FIRST AUTOBIOGRAPHY.

SHE JUST SAID, I WRITE POEMS AND

PLAYS, I DON'T DO

AUTOBIOGRAPHIES.

TO MAKE A LONG STORY SHORT, HE

CONVINCED HER TO DO THAT BOOK.

I THINK THE REASON IT RESONATES

SO STRONGLY WITH PEOPLE, SIT A

UNIVERSAL TALE OF SOMEONE WHO

OVERCOMES TREMENDOUS OBSTACLES.

IT'S VERY INSPIRING TO PEOPLE,

THAT SHE WAS RAPED WHEN SHE WAS

7.

YET OVERCAME THAT.

SHE WENT MUTE FOR FIVE YEARS,

AND OVERCAME THAT.

AND THINK OF A WOMAN WITH THAT

KIND OF A VOICE, NOT JUST HER

LITERAL VOICE, BUT HER INNER

VOICE, AND HER LITERARY VOICE

BEING SILENT FOR FIVE YEARS.

SO WHEN SHE DECIDED TO TALK, SHE

HAD A LOT TO SAY.

>> RITA, THERE'S SO MANY FACETS

OF HER LIFE, THAT EVEN THOUGH

THOSE OF US THAT KNEW ABOUT HER

DIDN'T KNOW ABOUT THAT.

SHE WAS SUCCESSFUL AS A SINGER

AND DANCER, AS AN ACTRESS.

ANYTHING SURPRISE YOU IN THE

COURSE OF MAKE THING?

>> I DON'T THINK IT SURPRISED

ME.

WHAT I THOUGHT WAS, ESPECIALLY

BECAUSE I BEGAN TO READ THE

BOOKS ALL OVER AGAIN.

THERE'S 36 BOOKS AND SEVEN

AUTOBIOGRA

AUTOBIOGRAPHIES.

I THINK THAT BRINGING IT ALL

TOGETHER IS SOMETHING THAT

HASN'T HAPPENED BECAUSE THOSE

BOOKS CAME OUT, BUT NOW THE WAY

WE LEARN IS VERY VISUAL, AND SO

THE OPPORTUNITY TO BRING IT ALL

TOGETHER AS MUCH AS WE COULD IN

TWO HOURS WAS A WAY THAT IT

FASCINATED ME, THE SHEER WEIGHT.

AS YOU PLAYED THE CLIP HERE, I'M

SO GRATEFUL THAT I GOT AN

UP-CLOSE LOOK AT THAT LIFE.

BECAUSE SOMETIMES IT'S DAUNTING

TO HEAR IT.

YOU THINK MAYBE YOU'RE LAZY.

BUT YOU REALIZE EVERYBODY DOES

THE BEST WITH WHAT THEY HAVE.

AND SHE JUST DID AN

EXTRAORDINARY JOB.

>> IN LESS THAN 30 SECONDS, WHAT

DO YOU HOPE THE VIEWERS OF THIS

DOCUMENTARY REMEMBER THE MOST

ABOUT MAYA ANGELOU?

>> ONE THING THEY DON'T KNOW A

LOT ABOUT IS HER POLITICAL

ACTIVISM.

SHE WAS VERY ACTIVE POLITICALLY.

SHE WORKED WITH MALCOLM X, SHE

WORKED WITH DR. MARTIN LUTHER

KING.

SHE URGED PEOPLE TO TAKE ACTION.

I THINK RELATING IT TO OUR WORLD

TODAY, I THINK SHE IS AN

INSPIRATION FOR US TODAY.

I DON'T THINK SHE WOULD TOLERATE

PEOPLE SITTING AROUND AND

COMPLAINING ABOUT THINGS.

SHE WOULD TELL PEOPLE, IF YOU

FEEL STRONGLY ABOUT SOMETHING,

GET OUT IN THE STREETS AND MAKE

YOUR VOICE BE KNOWN.

SO I THINK -- INTERESTINGLY

ENOUGH, I THINK THE FILM IS MORE

RELEVANT THAN WE HAD INTENDED

THAN WHEN WE STARTED WORKING ON

IT FIVE YEARS AGO.

HER VOICE I THINK IS IMPORTANT

FOR THIS TIME.

>> BOB AND RITA, I WISH I HAD AN

HOUR WITH YOU.

BUT THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR

JOINING US.

>> THANK YOU FOR DOING THIS.

>> AMERICAN MASTERS, MAYA

ANGELOU, PREMIERES TUESDAY,

FEBRUARY 21, AT 8:00 P.M. ON

PBS.

>>> AS THE SUN OF ONE OF THE

WEALTHIEST MEN IN THE WORLD, YOU

MAY THINK HE ENJOYED A LIFE OF

ENDLESS PRIVILEGE.

BUT PETER BUFFET, SON OF WARREN

BUFFETT, SAID THE ONLY REAL

INHERITANCE HANDED DOWN WAS A

PHILOSOPHY -- FORGE YOUR OWN

PATH IN LIFE.

AND HE'S DONE JUST THAT.

PETER BUFFET HAS AN ACCLAIMED

CAREER THAT EXPANDS THREE

DECADES AS AN AWARD WINNING

MUSICIAN AND AUTHOR.

HE BEGAN AS A MUSICAL MASTERMIND

BEHIND MANY OF THE MTV VIDEOS WE

WATCHED IN THE '80s.

AND NOW HE HAS A NEW ALBUM.

TAKE A LISTEN.

♪ BY THE TIME BEGOT -- WE GOT TO

WOODSTOCK, WE WERE HALF A

MILLION STRONG ♪

♪ ♪

♪ ♪

>> PETER BUFFET JOINS ME NOW.

WELCOME TO THE SHOW.

>> THANKS.

THANKS FOR HAVING ME.

>> 50 YEARS LATER, THAT SONG

RINGS JUST AS TRUE AND RELEVANT

AS IT DID THEN.

WHY WAS THAT THE SONG TO COVER

NOW?

>> WELL, FOR THAT VERY REASON.

I WAS IN MY HOME NEAR WOODSTOCK,

AND I WAS PULLING OUT MY

RECORDS.

I GOT A RECORD PLAYER.

>> YOU WENT OLD SCHOOL.

>> EXACTLY.

AND PUT THAT ALBUM ON AND I

LISTENED TO IT AND WENT, OH, MY

GOD, THIS IS NOT ONLY SO

RELEVANT, BUT IT'S ME.

HERE I AM, UP THERE TRYING TO

IMPLEMENT SOCIAL CHANGE IN

VARIOUS WAYS.

I'VE GOT TO COVER THIS THING.

>> WHAT IS IT THAT HAS HAPPENED

OR HASN'T HAPPENED IN THAT

CHANGE THAT ALLOWS THAT SONG TO

STAY SO RELEVANT?

>> CHANGE HAPPENS SLOWLY.

I THINK WE'VE LEARNED THAT.

AND NOT IN THE WAY WES THINK AND

I THINK IT'S GOOD TO REMIND

PEOPLE THAT FOR INSTANCE, OBAMA

WAS ELECTED, PEOPLE THINK OH,

WE'RE POST RACISM.

NO, WE'RE NOT.

WE HAVE A LONG WAYS TO GO.

SO REMINDING PEOPLE THERE WAS A

TIME, 1967 WAS THE SUMMER OF

LOVE.

'68 WE HAD ASSASSINATIONS,

CITIES BURNING.

WE HAD A LOT OF UNREST.

AND IT FEELS EERILY SIMILAR TO

THAT IN A LOT OF WAYS.

SO IF MAYBE WE CAN TAKE LESSONS

FROM THAT TIME AND MAKE SOME

DIFFERENT CHOICES.

SO WE MIGHT PROGRESS BEYOND SOME

OF THOSE THINGS THAT SEEMINGLY

WE HAVEN'T.

>> TELL ME ABOUT THE ALBUM, THE

TITLE, SONGS IN THE CURRENT,

FEELS LIKE IT HAS MULTIPLE

MEANINGS.

>> IT DOES, EXACTLY.

IT'S FUNNY, BECAUSE I THOUGHT OF

CURRENT IN TERMS OF CURRENT

EVENTS AND I THOUGHT CURRENT IS

A FLOW, IT'S MOVEMENT, IT'S

ELECTRICITY.

IT'S GOT ALL THESE QUALITIES TO

IT THAT DO SPEAK TO SOME EXTENT

THE SAME THING, LIKE WE'RE IN A

TIME THAT'S CHARGED.

THERE'S A LOT OF PEOPLE FEEL

THINGS THEY HAVEN'T FELT IN A

LONG TIME.

EITHER LETTING THEM LOOSE OR

FEELING GALVANIZED IN THE FACE

OF WHAT WE THOUGHT WE MIGHT HAVE

BEEN OVER AND WE'RE NOT.

AND SO IT FELT IMPORTANT FOR ME.

ONCE THE SONG WAS FINISHED, ONCE

WOODSTOCK WAS FINISHED, I LOOKED

OVER SOME OF MY OLDER SONGS THAT

SEEMED LIKE THEY WERE WRITTEN A

LITTLE TOO SOON AND NOW THEY'RE

A LITTLE MORE RELEVANT, AND I

RE-RECORDED THOSE.

IT FEELS DIFFERENT TO ME IN SOME

WAY, BECAUSE ALL THE SONGS

DEFINITELY RESONATE WITH -- AT

LEAST I THINK THEY DO, WITH THE

TIME WE'RE IN.

>> OF COURSE, EVERYBODY

RECOGNIZES YOU FOR YOUR SURNAME,

BUFFET.

>> THEY USED TO THINK JIMMY, BUT

NOW THEY REALIZE IT'S WARREN.

>> TIMES ARE CHANGING IN THE

RIGHT DIRECTION.

TELL ME HOW YOU BECAME A

MUSICIAN, BECAUSE YOU HAD A VERY

UNIQUE PATH THAT YOU GOT TO

TRAVEL.

>> I DID.

YOU KNOW, MAYBE THE MOST UNIQUE

THING IS IT WASN'T AS UNIQUE AS

PEOPLE THINK.

I GREW UP IN OMAHA, WENT TO

PUBLIC SCHOOL.

I WALKED TO SCHOOL EVERY DAY.

I REALLY DIDN'T KNOW WHAT MY DAD

DID.

BUT THE KEY REALLY WAS THAT BOTH

MY PARENTS WERE HAPPY, AND MY

DAD LOVED WHAT HE DID.

WE DID NOT KNOW THAT HE WAS

PILING THESE MASSIVE AMOUNTS OF

MONEY, BECAUSE MONEY WASN'T THE

THING FOR HIM.

HE LOVED THE GAME OF IT, TO SOME

EXTENT.

AND SO WHAT I SAW GROWING UP IS

NOT SOMEONE CHASING A DOLLAR, IT

WAS SOMEONE LIVING ESSENTIALLY

THEIR DREAM, LOVING THEIR WORK

AND COMING HOME HAPPY.

HE DIDN'T COME HOME MAD AT THE

BOSS OR SOMETHING.

SO WHAT WAS INSTILLED IS FIND

SOMETHING YOU LOVE TO DO,

BECAUSE THAT'S WAY MORE

IMPORTANT THAN GETTING PAID A

TON OF MONEY FOR IT.

>> SPEAKING OF MONEY, OF COURSE,

YOU WERE ABLE TO USE SOME MONEY

TO START A FOUNDATION.

TELL ME A LITTLE BIT ABOUT THAT.

>> SO MANY, MANY YEARS INTO MY

CAREER, MY PARENTS, YOU KNOW,

IT'S FUNNY.

MY DAD ALWAYS KNEW HE WAS GOING

TO MAKE A LOT OF MONEY AND

ALWAYS CONCERNED HOW IT WAS

GOING TO AFFECT THE KIDS.

BUT AT SOME POINT, HE KNEW HE

WAS GOING TO HAVE TO DO

SOMETHING WITH THIS AND HE

WANTED TO GIVE IT AWAY TO

SOCIETY.

AND HE THOUGHT THAT MY MOTHER

WOULD DO THAT WORK, SO HE CHOSE

TO GIVE IT TO US KIDS.

SO WE STARTED OUT SMALL WHEN MY

PARTS WERE BOTH ALIVE, THEY GAVE

US A SMALL AMOUNT FOR A

FOUNDATION, BECAUSE THEY KNEW WE

WOULD BE RESPONSIBLE FOR IT IN

SOME WAY.

BUT IN 2006, I CALL IT THE BIG

BANG.

MY DAD DECIDED TO REALLY GIVE

ALL HIS MONEY AWAY, SO MY WIFE

AND I WERE CHARGED WITH A $1

BILLION FOUNDATION, WHICH IS NOW

INCREASED TO MUCH MORE THAN

THAT.

THAT MAKES YOU THINK A LOT ABOUT

THE WORLD AND YOUR PLACE IN IT,

AND HOW TO GO ABOUT ESSENTIALLY

RELEASING THIS ENERGY INTO THE

WORLD AND HOW YOU CAN BEST

AFFECT CHANGE.

>> OKAY.

WHAT IS SOME OF THE THINGS THAT

YOUR FOUNDATION DOES?

>> WELL, YOU KNOW, JENNIFER AND

I BOTH REALIZED THROUGHOUT OUR

WORK, INCLUDING MY MUSICAL WORK,

BECAUSE IT WAS VERY TIED INTO

AMERICAN INDIAN CULTURE FOR A

GOOD DECADE OR MORE.

SO WE HAD SEEN OPPRESSION,

COLONIALISM, PATRIARCHY CLOSE UP

BY THE WORK I HAD DONE WITH THE

AMERICAN INDIAN CULTURE AND

PEOPLE.

AND SO WHEN WE GOT THE

FOUNDATION, WE BOTH WERE

PAINFULLY AWARE OF HOW OUT OF

BALANCE THE WORLD WAS.

IT WAS CLEAR TO BOTH OF US THAT

WHAT WAS OUT OF BALANCE IS SORT

OF, AGAIN, OPPRESSION AND

AGGRESSIVE -- WHAT I WOULD

CONSIDER TO BE MOSTLY MALE

ENERGY.

AND THAT GIRLS AND WOMEN FORTHE

-- WERE THE KEY TO THE FUTURE

OVER A LOT OF THINGS THAT WE

KNEW GIRLS AND WOMEN CARRIED

NATURALLY.

AND CERTAINLY PLENTY OF MEN DO

TOO.

AND SO A LOT OF THE FOCUS IS

WITH GIRLS AND WOMEN IN A

VARIETY OF WAYS AT THE

FOUNDATION.

>> ALL RIGHT.

SO YET ANOTHER FOUNDATION THAT

PERHAPS LEADS TO THE FUTURE OF

FEMALES.

>> ABSOLUTELY.

>> PETER, THANK YOU FOR TAKING

TIME TO COME DOWN AND TELL US

ABOUT YOUR ALBUM, ABOUT

WOODSTOCK, AND ABOUT THINGS YOUR

FOUNDATION IS WORKING ON.

>> THANKS FOR HAVING ME.

>> FOR MORE INFORMATION ON

PETER'S FOUNDATION AND HIS NEW

CD, "SONGS IN THE CURRENT," LOG

ON TO METROFOCUS.ORG.

>>> BEFORE WE SAY GOOD NIGHT, WE

OFFER YOU A GIFT.

NOW YOU CAN TAKE "METROFOCUS"

WITH YOU ANYWHERE, ANY TIME.

IT'S SIMPLE AND IT'S FREE.

DOWNLOAD THE "METROFOCUS" APP

AVAILABLE FOR iPHONE AND

ANDROID.

WHEN YOU DO, YOU'LL GET THE

LATEST NEWS, WEATHER, AND

TRAFFIC FOR THE ENTIRE METRO

AREA.

WE'LL SEE YOU AGAIN TOMORROW.

>> FUNDING FOR THIS PROGRAM WAS

PROVIDED BY --

-- Captions by VITAC --

www.vitac.com