MetroFocus

FULL EPISODE

MetroFocus: July 9, 2020

Tonight, Bill Walton, one of the project’s early participants turned facilitator and Hedda Marcus, a facilitator who helped develop the Anti-Racism Project’s curriculum, join us for a very candid discussion on social change and creating a society that is truly egalitarian.

AIRED: July 09, 2020 | 0:28:06
ABOUT THE PROGRAM
TRANSCRIPT

>> THIS IS "METROFOCUS" WITH

RAFAEL PI ROMAN, JACK FORD, AND

JENNA FLANAGAN.

>> "METROFOCUS" IS MADE POSSIBLE

SUE AND EDGAR WACHENHEIM III,

THE SYLVIA A. AND SIMON B. POYTA

PROGRAMING ENDOWMENT TO FIGHT

ANTI-SEMITISM.

BARBARA HOPE ZUCKERBERG.

BERNARD AND IRENE SCHWARTZ,

ROSALIND P. WALTER,

>>> WELCOME TO "METROFOCUS."

I'M JACK FORD.

IN THE AFTERMATH OF THE DEATH OF

GEORGE FLOYD, WE HAVE SEEN A

GROUNDSWELL AND WE HAVE SEEN

A

AWARENESS OF SYSTEMIC RACISM.

A LOCAL GRASSROOTS ORGANIZATION

IN LONG ISLAND HAS GAINED

NATIONAL RECOGNITION FOR ITS

HISTORY OF SYSTEMIC RACISM.

WE ARE PLEASED TO BE JOINED BY

TWO FOLKS ACTIVELY INVOLVED.

SHE HELPED TO DEVELOP THE

CURRICULUM FOR THE ANTI-RACISM

PROJECT.

AND ALSO BY BILL WALTON, ONE OF

THE EARLY PARTICIPANTS IN THE

PROJECT.

HE ALSO HAS CONTINUED HIS

INVOLVEMENT AS A FACILITATOR

DURING THE COURSE OF THE LAST

FEW YEARS.

WELCOME TO BOTH OF YOU.

HE WOULD APPRECIATE YOU SPENDING

TIME WITH US.

>> THANK YOU.

>> LET ME START WITH BIGGER

PICTURE QUESTIONS AND THEN I

WANT TO GET INVOLVED IN BOTH OF

YOUR PERSONAL INVOLVEMENTS.

HEATHER, LET ME COME TO YOU,

FIRST.

WHAT IS THE MISSION BEHIND THE

ANTI-RACISM PROJECT AND HOW DID

IT GET STARTED?

>> IT WAS BECAUSE OUR FAMILY

MEMBER AND DIRECTOR OR

COORDINATOR WAS CONCERNED ABOUT

SOME VERY DISTURBING LOCAL

INCIDENTS THAT HAD REALLY RACIST

OVERTONES.

THOUGH I THINK SHE TRIED TO MAKE

AN EFFORT TO ADDRESS THE ISSUES

AS A CITIZEN IN TOWN, IT SEEMED

THAT NOTHING WAS REALLY

HAPPENING.

AND SHE WAS INSPIRED TO TAKE A

COURSE THROUGH THE ERASE RACISM

PROJECT THAT MOSTLY USED

MATERIALS FROM CULTURAL BRIDGES

TO JUSTICE.

AND SHE LEARNED A TREMENDOUS

AMOUNT ABOUT THE HISTORY OF OUR

COUNTRY, THAT HISTORY THAT MOST

OF US ARE NOT PRIVY TO UNLESS WE

SEEK IT OUT.

AND SHE WAS VERY MOVED AND

WANTED TO CONTINUE SHARING THE

INFORMATION AND DISSEMINATING IT

AND HELPING PEOPLE MOVE TOWARDS

NOT JUST CONSIDERING THEMSELVES

NONRACIST, BUT GETTING TO A

PLACE WHERE THEY WOULD SAY I'M

ANTI-RACIST AND I WANT TO DO

SOMETHING ABOUT IT.

SO SHE PUT THE WORD OUT.

I MYSELF HEARD FROM A FRIEND

LOOKING FOR INTERESTED PEOPLE

WHO COULD GET INVOLVED AND HELP

THIS GROUP GET STARTED.

SOME OF US, INCLUDING MYSELF,

WERE EDUCATORS WHO HAD ALREADY

BEEN INVOLVED IN DIVERSITY WORK

SO WE COULD REALLY HELP TO

DEVELOP THE CURRICULUM.

WE USED SOME OF THE MATERIAL,

THEY WERE GENEROUS TO ALLOW US

TO USE.

AND WE ALSO BROUGHT TEACHING

TECHNIQUES INTO THE FOLD AND

DEVELOPED AN EIGHT-WEEK SEMINAR

WITH MANY TOPICS LOOKING AT

EVERYTHING FROM HISTORY, ALL OF

THAT HISTORY TO SPENDING TIME

LISTENING, ACTIVELY LISTENING TO

ONE ANOTHER'S EXPERIENCES IN

DIALOGUE, WHEN WE COULD DO THESE

THINGS IN PERSON AND RAISING

PEOPLE'S AWARENESS TO THE POINT

THAT EVERYONE CAME UP WITH A

PERSONAL --

>> I AM GOING TO COME BACK IN A

MOMENT TO YOU.

I WANT TO DELVE INTO THE NOTION

OF THESE SESSIONS AND HOW THEY

TAKE PLACE AND THIS WHOLE

CONCEPT OF PERSONAL ACTION AS A

CONSEQUENCE.

HOW DID YOU INITIALLY GET

INVOLVED IN THE PROJECT?

>> STRICTLY COINCIDENCE.

THE PROJECT HAD BEEN MENTIONED

IN A LOCAL PAPER AT A TIME WHEN

MY WIFE AND I WERE LOOKING FOR

SOMETHING TO DO BECAUSE OF THE

CLIMATE WHICH SEEMED TO BE NOT

BUILDING, BUT NOT RELAXING.

A CONTINUOUS -- WE FRAMED IT AS

EVERY DAY WAS AN INCIDENCE OF

RACI

RACIALLY MOTIVATED RUDENESS THAT

ONE OF US EXPERIENCED.

WE CAME ACROSS AN INVITATION TO

ATTEND A SEMINAR.

WE LOOKED AT IT, WENT ON THE

WEBSITE AND REGISTERED RANDOM.

WE HAD NO IDEA WHAT WE WERE

WALKING INTO.

WE WERE LOOKING FOR A WAY OF

EXPRESSING OUR FEELINGS, SO THIS

SEEMED RIGHT.

THE FIRST MEETING THAT WE

ATTENDED WAS A DIVERSE GROUP OF

LOCAL RESIDENTS AND NEARBY

RESIDENTS, THE NEXT TOWN AT

LEAST.

THE FACILITATORS WERE DIVERSE

ALSO, SO WE WERE PRETTY

COMFORTABLE WHICH WE WOULD HAVE

BEEN ONE WAY OR ANOTHER.

THE SUBSTANCE WAS THERE SO WE

STALK WITH IT, LIKED IT AND

REGISTERED FOR THE EIGHT-WEEK

SESSION.

STAYED WITH IT.

THERE WAS A CHALLENGE.

WE CONFRONTED A LOT OF THINGS WE

DIDN'T EXPECT TO.

WE HEARD FROM A LOT OF PEOPLE

THAT WE DIDN'T KNOW.

SOME OF THE THINGS THAT THEY

WERE FEELING WHEN THEY WERE

EXPRESSING WHAT MAY HAVE BEEN

PERCEIVED AS BIAS, SO WE THOUGHT

THAT WAS A PRETTY GOOD LEARNING

EXPERIENCE.

BUT THE OVERALL SUBSTANCE OF THE

MATERIAL PRESENTED WAS MORE THAN

SATISFACTORY, AND JUST BEING

INVOLVED GAVE ME THE FEELING

THAT I WOULD ATTEMPT TO GET ON

AS A FACILITATOR.

>> BOTH OF YOU ARE FACILITATORS.

I AM GOING TO GET TO THAT IN A

MOMENT, HAVE YOU EXPLAIN WHAT

THAT MEANS AND WHAT AND WHO AND

HOW ARE YOU FACILITATING THESE

CONVERSATIONS.

ONE OR TWO LAST BIG PICTURE

QUESTIONS BEFORE WE GET TO THAT.

YOU TALKED ABOUT THE NOTION OF

SYSTEMIC RACISM.

WHAT DO YOU MEAN BY THAT TERM?

>> YES, ONE OF THE THINGS THAT

WE ENCOUNTER WHEN WE GET INTO

THESE GROUPS IS THAT PEOPLE

REALLY THINK THAT RACISM IS

ABOUT PERSONAL PREJUDICE, THAT

IT'S HOW THEY FEEL.

OFTEN THEY SAY I DON'T SEE

RACISM, I AM NOT RACIST BECAUSE

I LIKE EVERYBODY.

IT'S VERY IMPORTANT IN OUR GROUP

THAT WE EXPLORE ALL OF THE

MULTMULL

LAYER -- MULTILAYIERED SYSTEMS

SO WE GET ACROSS THE TIP OF THE

ICEBERG BECAUSE IT GOES SO DEEP.

PERSONAL BIAS IS ONE THING, BUT

WHEN THERE IS POWER,

GOVERNMENTAL POWER, HISTORICAL

POWER, LEGAL POWER OFTEN, THAT

BACKS UP A PARTICULAR BIAS

AGAINST A GROUP, THAT THAT IS

ENORMOUSLY -- THAT HAS ENORMOUS

CONSEQUENCES ON PEOPLE'S LIVES

AND REALLY IS QUITE A DESTRUCT

T

OR OF OUR SOCIETY AND

FOUNDATIONAL TO OUR SOCIETY

BECAUSE YOU REALIZE THE

UNDERMINING AND VALUE OF

HUMANITY OF PEOPLE OF COLOR,

SADLY, BUT TRUE, WAS BUILT INTO

THE SYSTEM FROM THE TIME BEFORE

WE WERE AN INFANT AND WE LOOK AT

ALL OF THE WAYS IT HAS BEEN

PULLED THROUGH UNTIL NOW.

>> LET ME MENTION SOMETHING FROM

BEFORE.

THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN BEING

NONRACIST AND ANTI-RACIST.

BILL, HOW DID THAT NOTION PLAY

TO YOU AND HOW IS THAT UTILIZED

IN TERMS OF THE WORK THAT YOU

ALL DO?

>> WELL, THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN

NON-RACIST AND ANTI-RACIST.

MOST PEOPLE YOU TALK TO WOULD

CLAIM THAT THEY ARE NOT RACIST.

BELIEVE IT, THEY ARE NOT RACIST

AND PROBABLY MAKE NO RACIST

EXPRESSIONS TO OTHERS.

BEING AN ANTI-RACIST WOULD BE A

PERSON, FIRST, TO DOESN'T

TOLERATE RACISM AROUND HIM AND

ALSO MOVES IN THE DIRECTION OF

PERSONALLY REMOVING THEIR OWN

RACIST FEELINGS, CONFRONTING

THEM WITHOUT KNOWING FOR A FACT

THAT YOU ARE RACIST, BECAUSE BY

DEFINITION YOU ARE NOT RACIST

UNTIL YOU ACTUALLY IMPOSE YOUR

EXPRESSIONS OF RACISM ON SOMEONE

ELSE.

THEN YOU ARE BEING RACIST.

BUT IF YOU TOLERATE RACISM, YOU

REALLY HAVEN'T DONE ANYTHING

WRONG.

BUT IF WE SEE SOMEONE IS

TOLERATING RACISM, WE WANT TO AT

ANY THEM SO THEY DON'T TOLERATE

IT BECAUSE YOU HAVE TO SPEAK UP.

YOU CAN'T STAND IN THE CORNER

AND MAINTAIN SILENCE.

THIS IS MORE DEADLY THAN

ANYTHING ELSE BETWEEN YOUR

SILENCE AND PROPAGANDA.

SO MY TRAINING PERSONALLY WAS TO

MOVE IN THAT DIRECTION THAT I AM

ALREADY NOT A RACIST AND I DON'T

TOLERATE RACISM, BUT I MIGHT BE

ABLE TO HELP PEOPLE THAT DON'T

UNDERSTAND THAT THEY ARE BEING

RACIST BY THEIR EXPRESSIONS OF

SEP

SEPARATISM OR MAYBE

HYPERAGGRESSIONS THEY DIDN'T

SUSPECT WOULD OFFEND ANYONE.

IT COMES BACK TO CONDITIONS FROM

WHEN WE WERE CHILDREN THAT WERE

NEVER CORRECTED.

BY THE TIME YOU ARE IN HIGH

SCHOOL, YOU ARE OFFENSIVE.

BY THE TIME YOU ARE AN ADULT,

WHO KNOWS WHERE YOU ARE HEADED.

>> LET'S LOOK AT SOME OF THE

SPECIFICS OF THE WORK.

YOU WERE INVOLVED IN DEVELOPING

THE CURRICULUM.

WE MENTIONED THE SECTIONS SET

UP, THAT YOU DECIDE TO ENGAGE IN

A NUMBER OF EIGHT SESSIONS I

BELIEVE.

TELL ME WHAT THOSE SESSIONS ARE

DESIGNED TO DO.NUMBER OF EIGHT

BELIEVE.

TELL ME WHAT THOSE SESSIONS ARE

DESIGNED TO DO.A NUMBER OF EIGH

BELIEVE.

TELL ME WHAT THOSE SESSIONS ARE

DESIGNED TO DO.

>> IN A NUTSHELL I WOULD SAY

THEY ARE DESIGNED TO FIRST

EDUCATE AND INSPIRE REALLY SOME

SELF EXAMINATION.

AND TO ARRIVE AT THE KIND OF

TRANSFORMATION THAT BILL WAS

JUST TALKING ABOUT AND SOME

RESOLVE THAT, YES, I CAN MAKE A

DIFFERENCE.

AND ENGAGE IN ACTIVITY THAT IS

GOING TO MOVE THE AGENDA OF

ANTI-RACISM FORWARD.

SO WE SPEND TIME EXPOSING OUR

PARTICIPANTS TO MOMENTS IN

HISTORY THAT ARE NOT THE ONES WE

HAVE LEARNED ABOUT THAT TELL THE

TRUTH ABOUT SLAVERY, WHAT

HAPPENED AFTER RECONSTRUCTION,

THE MASSACRES THAT TOOK PLACE.

WE TALK ABOUT LYNCHINGS, HE

WOULD TALK ABOUT THE LAWS ON THE

BOOKS THAT MADE DISCRIMINATION

NOT ONLY LEGAL AND ACCEPTABLE

AND NOT ONLY IN THE SOUTH, WE

LOOK AT, OF COURSE, MOMENTS LIKE

JUNETEENTH WHEN -- WHICH WAS

ACTUALLY THE END OF SLAVERY EVEN

THOUGH IT WAS SUPPOSEDLY ENDED A

YEAR AND A HALF BEFORE.

>> THIS WASN'T UNTIL 1865 WE

KNOW.

EMANCIPATION PROCLAMATION OF

1863, SO MANY YEARS IN BETWEEN.

>> AND WE MOVE ON THROUGH

HISTORY, THROUGH THE DIFFERENCES

BETWEEN LAWS THAT WENT ON THE

BOOKS ACTUALLY AND THE WAYS THAT

THE LAWS WERE ENACTED OR NOT

ENACTED TO PROTECT PEOPLE.

SO THIS IS A VERY MOVING NOEMT.

WE ACTUALLY GO THROUGH

HISTORICAL MOMENTS, READ IN A

CIRCLE AND THE SILENCE IS

DEAFENING.

THERE ARE TEARS.

FOR THOSE WHO KNOW THE HISTORY,

IT'S PAINFUL TO RELIVE IT, TO

TALK ABOUT IT, TO HAVE IT NAMED,

ALTHOUGH IT'S A HEALTHY AND GOOD

THING.

FOR A LOT OF WHITE PEOPLE WHO

HAVE NOT FOUND A REASON TO FIND

OUT THESE THINGS, IT'S SHOCKING,

HURTFUL, GUILT PROVOKING,

FRIGHTENING, AND THEN YOU HAVE

TO MOVE BEYOND ALL OF THOSE

EMOTIONS AND PROCESS AND LOOK AT

OUR OWN HISTORIES AND SHARE WITH

ONE ANOTHER AND GET PAST THE

STATES OF FEELING.

THE DEEPER THEY GO, THE LONGER

THE COMMITMENT WILL BE.

YET, WE CAN'T JUST WALLOW THERE.

>> BILL, LET'S BUILD ON THIS, IF

WE CAN.

CONCEPTUALLY, WHAT IS TAKING

PLACE, BEING EDUCATED ABOUT THE

EXTENT OF RACISM THROUGHOUT OUR

HISTORY.

T

TELL ME WHAT THESE SESSIONS LOOK

LIKE AND FEEL LIKE.

I KNOW WE HAVE BEEN REMOTE, BUT

LET'S GO BACK TO BEFORE WE

BECAME REMOTE.

WHAT DID THE ROOM LOOK LIKE?

WHO WAS IN THE ROOM?

HOW DID THIS ALL TAKE PLACE?

>> THE ROOM, WE NEVER KNEW WHAT

TO EXPECT WITH THE ROOM.

ON THESE SESSIONS, OPEN

INVITATION.

SIGN UP, WALK IN.

YOU WOULD MEET PEOPLE WHO ARE

SIMPLY FROM ALL WALKS OF LIFE.

PRIMARILY -- I WOULD SAY A

MAJORITY WOMEN.

SOME MEN.

MIXED GROUP.

MOST SESSIONS ARE PRIMARILY

WHITE.

>> I WAS GOING TO ASK YOU WHEN

YOU SAY MIXED GROUP, WHAT DO YOU

MEAN BY THAT?

>> MIXED AS FAR AS RACE,

NATIONALITY.

WE DON'T SEPARATE BY PERIMETERS.

WE DON'T EVEN TALK ABOUT THE

DIFFERENT REPRESENTATION OF THE

ROOM.

SO WHAT WE ARE REALLY CONCERNED

WITH IS THAT WE HAVE A LIVELY

DISCUSSION BASED ON WHAT WE

PRESENT.

WE PRESENT FIRST RATHER THAN

CONDITIONS OF CONDUCT, WE

PRESENT THAT WE HAVE ALL TAKEN

KIND OF AN OATH OF SHOWING

RESPECT FOR EACH OTHER, NOT

SAYING ANYTHING INTENTIONALLY

HURTFUL.

WE ALL KNOW THAT THE INFORMATION

IS GOING TO BE CHALLENGING AND

IT'S GOING TO BE -- IT'S GOING

TO CHALLENGE SOME OF YOUR

EMOTIONS AND SOME OF YOUR

ATTITUDES THAT YOU HAVE GROWN UP

WITH AND MAYBE NEW ATTITUDES

JUST BASED ON THE PROPAGANDA

AROUND YOU.

WE NEVER REALLY KNOW WHAT THE

ROOM WILL BE LIKE UNTIL WE GET

DEEP INTO THE SESSION AND WHAT

PEOPLE REALLY FEEL STARTS TO

COME OUT.

IT VARIES.

SOME PEOPLE WANT TO TALK ABOUT

IT.

SOME PEOPLE ARE CHATTER BOXES,

SOME PEOPLE JUST WANT TO

MAINTAIN THEIR SILENCE AND

PRIVACY.

OCCASIONALLY THEY WILL THROW OUT

CONTEMPT FOR SOME OF THE THINGS

THAT WE ARE ALL SEEING EVERY

DAY.

SO HAVING SAID THAT, THE

CURRICULA I ALLUDED TO IS NOT IN

A CONSTANT STATE OF PRESENTING

THE SAME MATERIAL ALL OF THE

TIME.

WE HAVE NEW MATERIAL DEPENDING

ON THE CONDITIONS.

OUR MOST CHALLENGING CONDITION

RECENTLY IS ONE THAT'S BEEN KIND

OF THE GEORGE FLOYD INCIDENCE,

THE CATALYST OF BEING IN OUR

HOMES WITH CORONAVIRUS WAS

ANOTHER CATALYST.

SO WE HAVE NOTHING BUT TO READ

AND LOOK AT WHAT IS AROUND US.

AND WE STARTED RESPONDING TO IT.

AT THE SAME TIME WE COULD NOT

PRESENT PUBLICLY BECAUSE WE ARE

AWARE OF THE RISK OF HAVING A

GATHERING OF 20, 30, 40 PEOPLE,

SO WE ARE NOW ON MEDIA TRYING TO

DO THE SAME THING, TRYING TO

PRESENT THE SAME FEEL TO WHAT WE

ARE SAYING.

WE DON'T WANT TO BE READING

ALTHOUGH WE CAN SIT DOWN.

AT THE SAME TIME WE WANT TO

CHALLENGE PEOPLE WE CAN LOOK OUT

INTO THE ROOM AND SEE HOW PEOPLE

ARE REACTING TO WHAT'S SAID.

>> LET ME ASK A QUESTION.

BILL HAS EXPLAINED THE PROCESS

OF THE ROOM.

YOU ARE BRINGING PEOPLE WHO FOR

THE MOST PART ARE STRANGERS INTO

A ROOM TO TALK ABOUT A DEEP

SEATED HISTORICAL PROBLEM THAT

HAS EXTRAORDINARY EMOTIONAL

PROBLEMS TO IT AT A TIME WHEN

NOW WE ARE FOCUSING SO

EMOTIONALLY ON SYSTEMIC RACISM.

SO MY QUESTION TO YOU IS -- I

WOULD THINK IT'S GOING TO BE

HARD TO GET PEOPLE TO OPEN UP,

STRANGERS IN A ROOM TALKING

ABOUT THIS.

WHAT ARE THE BIGGEST OBSTACLES

YOU HAVE FOUND AS FACILITATORS

TO GET PEOPLE TO OPEN UP TO THE

LEVEL WHERE THESE SESSIONS ARE

GOING TO BE PRODUCTIVE?

>> I USED TO TALK ABOUT CREATING

SAFE SPACES, BUT I LEARNED

THROUGH ONE OF OUR BRILLIANT

PARTICIPANTS WHO BECAME A

FACILITATOR, THAT I OUGHT TO

THINK ABOUT THAT TERM BECAUSE

MAYBE THE TERM BRAVE SPACE OR

COURAGEOUS SPACE IS A BETTER

TERM.

WE CAN'T PROMISE SAFETY.

>> THAT'S A GREAT DISTINCTION

BETWEEN SAFE AND COURAGEOUS

SPACE.

>> WE CAN'T PROMISE SAFETY

BECAUSE THE SUBJECT MATTER IS

DIFFICULT, AND IT HURTS, NO

MATTER WHAT PART OF THE SPECTRUM

OF COLOR YOU ARE ON.

IT'S PAINFUL STUFF.

AND SO WE TELL PEOPLE THAT THIS

IS A CONFIDENTIAL SPACE.

THIS IS A SPACE WHERE WE INVITE

YOU TO DO A GREAT DEAL OF

LISTENING TO OTHERS.

TO NOT ASSUME THAT THERE IS A

HIERARCHY OF OPPRESSIONS, TO NOT

COMPETE ABOUT OPPRESSIONS, BUT

TO HEAR OTHER PEOPLE DEEPLY.

WHAT IS THE HARDEST THING?

WHITE PEOPLE IN PARTICULAR DON'T

WANT TO BE SEEN AS RACIST.

THEY WANT TO BE SEEN AS GOOD

PEOPLE WHEN THEY COME IN.

AFRICAN-AMERICAN PEOPLE I THINK

DON'T WANT TO BE SEEN AS TOO

ANGRY AND THAT'S A WORRY FOR

THEM AS THEY RESPOND TO THINGS

THAT HAPPEN.

AND SO THAT CANBj/qi[C:

Ul>SO THAT CANBj/qi[C:

ójc)

Z6Ñ

kuünv

WHITE PRIVILEGE IS A TOUCHY

SUBJECT.

FOLKS WANT TO SAY I'M NOT

PRIVILEGED.

I CAME UP THROUGH THE WORKING

CLASS OR MY PEOPLE WERE

IMMIGRANTS.

THAT'S UNDERSTANDABLE THAT WHITE

PRIVILEGE MEANS ECONOMIC WEALTH

TO EVERYONE, BUT WE SPEND A LOT

OF TIME TALKING ABOUT HOW WHITE

PRIVILEGE MEANS NOT HAVING TO

THINK ABOUT RACE BECAUSE IT

DOESN'T IMPACT YOU EVERY DAY.

OF COURSE IT DOES, BECAUSE YOU

ARE ENJOYING THE OTHER SIDE OF

RACISM, BUT YOU MAY NOT KNOW IT.

ALL OF THE THINGS YOU TAKE FOR

GRANTED.

BEING GIVEN THE BENEFIT OF THE

DOUBT IN SO MANY SITUATIONS.

THE COMFORT YOU CAN FEEL

SHOPPING, THE WAYS THAT IN

SCHOOL YOU MAY HAVE BEEN

ENCOURAGED AND NOT TAKEN THE

WRONG WAY AS A STUDENT.

THE DIFFERENTIAL WAYS YOU ARE

TREATED ON THE STREET BY POLICE.

SO MANY THINGS THAT WHITE

PRIVILEGE MEANS.

I THINK THIS IS ONE OF THE

HARDEST TOPICS BECAUSE PEOPLE

DON'T WANT TO FEEL UNAPPRECIATED

OR GUILTY.

AND THEY DON'T WANT TO FEEL THAT

YOU ARE SAYING TO THEM YOU

DIDN'T EARN YOUR SPOT AS A

TEACHER OR IN THAT UNION OR

ANYTHING ELSE.

THAT'S NOT WHAT WE ARE SAYING.

WE ARE TALKING ABOUT A SYSTEM OF

GIVING AN ADVANTAGE TO ONE RACE

OVER ANOTHER.

>> WE HAVE JUST ABOUT A MINUTE

TO WRAP UP.

WE COULD TALK FOREVER.

HOPEFULLY THIS WILL GET PEOPLE

FASCINATED AND INTERESTED IN

YOUR PROJECT.

LAST QUESTION FOR YOU.

FOLKS ARE WATCHING THIS AND WHAT

YOU DO AND BUILDING AND SAY I

WANT TO BE PART OF THIS IN SOME

FASHION.

HOW DO THEY DO IT?

>> THEY GO TO OUR WEBSITE AT

WWW.ANTI-RACISM PROJECT.ORG.

WE HAVE A FACEBOOK PROJECT AND

IF YOU WANT TO SUPPORT OUR WORK

WE HAVE A GOFUNDME CAMPAIGN

BECAUSE EVERYTHING IS DONE ON A

VOLUNTEER BASIS.

>> THANK YOU BOTH FOR SPENDING

TIME HERE.

THIS IS A PROJECT SO MEANINGFUL

AND HOPEFULLY ENDURING.

I WANT TO THANK YOU FOR JOINING

US AND HOPEFULLY WE WILL GET

TOGETHER SOON AND TALK ABOUT

WHAT YOU ARE DOING.

BOTH BE WELL.

THANK YOU.

>> "METROFOCUS" IS MADE POSSIBLE

BY

SUE AND EDGAR WACHENHEIM III,

THE SYLVIA A. AND SIMON B. POYTA

PROGRAMING ENDOWMENT TO FIGHT

ANTI-SEMITISM.

BARBARA HOPE ZUCKERBERG,

>> JODY AND JOHN AROUND ARNHOLD.

AND OTHERS.