MetroFocus

FULL EPISODE

MetroFocus: April 7, 2020

Shelter In Place, Shelter In Violence, Pandemic Waves Of Attack Across The U.S.

AIRED: April 07, 2020 | 0:28:29
ABOUT THE PROGRAM
TRANSCRIPT

>>> UP NEXT, METRO FOCUS.

WE'RE WORKING FROM HOME BUT

WE'RE DEDICATED TO BRINGING YOU

THE IMPORTANT STORIES ABOUT HOW

OUR AREA IS AFFECTED BY

CORONAVIRUS.

♪

>> THIS IS "METRO FOCUS" WITH --

"METRO FOCUS" IS MADE POSSIBLE

BY --

>> GOOD EVENING AND WELCOME TO

"METRO FOCUS."

I'M JENNA FLANNEGAN.

RIGHT NOW HOME IS THE SAFEST

PLACE FOR PEOPLE AROUND THE

WORLD TO BE BUT ACCORDING TO

EXPERTS AND ADVOCATES THAT'S NOT

NECESSARILY THE CASE FOR PEOPLE

IN ABUSIVE RELATIONSHIPS.

THE UNITED NATIONS CALLING TO

ADDRESS THE HORN-- HORRIFYING S

OF ABUSE AGAINST WOMEN AND GIRLS

DURING COVID-19.

COMING UP, A WRITER, ARTIST AND

PRODUCER WHO CAME UP WITH HER

OWN ALE ALLEGATIONS AGAINST NEW

YORK ATTORNEY GENERAL

FIRST I WANT TO START WITH WHAT

MIGHT START WITH WHAT MAY BE A

BIT OF A GLIB QUESTION.

THAT IS, HOW ARE THESE

QUARANTINES AFFECTING THE PEOPLE

WHO FIND THEMSELVES IN ABUSIVE

RELATIONSHIPS, HOW IS THIS

PERHAPS EXASPERATION BAITING THE

PROBLEM.

>> THE STAY-AT-HOME IS

ABSOLUTELY ESSENTIAL FOR SAVING

LIVES BUT FOR MANY WOMEN THAT IS

PUTTING THEM IN GREATER DANGER

BECAUSE THE MOST DANGEROUS PLACE

IN THE WORLD FOR THEM IS IN

THEIR OWN HOME IF THEY'RE IN AN

ABUSIVE RELATIONSHIP AND THEIR

CHILDREN ARE AT GREAT RISK AND

ALSO WITNESSING THE VIOLENCE OF

THEIR PARENTS.

SO IT IS A LOOMING CRISIS THAT

IS A BIPRODUCT OF THE PANDEMIC

AND THERE'S AN OPPORTUNITY TO

GET AHEAD OF IT.

PLACES LIKE CHINA AND FRANCE AND

SPAIN THERE'S REPORTS OF

INCREASED DOMESTIC VIOLENCE AND

THEY'VE TRIED TO INSTITUTE

MEASURES TO HELP THE SITUATION.

FOR INSTANCE, INSTITUTING THE

CODE SYSTEM IN SPAIN.

GOING TO YOUR PHARMACY IN

FRANCE, TO MAKE A CALL TO A

HOTLINE, ET CETERA.

THESE ARE ALL MEASURES WE NEED

TO BE MAKING MORE KNOWN HERE.

>> OF COURSE, AND WHEN IT COMES

TO MEASURE THAT'S ARE BEING MADE

MORE KNOWN HERE, NOW, A COMMON

PRACTICE AT LEAST THAT A LOT OF

PEOPLE HAVE BEEN TOLD IS, IF YOU

ARE IN CRISIS, IF YOU ARE

FINDING YOURSELF IN TROUBLE CALL

911.

NOW WE'VE ALREADY HEARD FROM THE

NEW YORK CITY POLICE

COMMISSIONER THAT THEY'VE SEEN A

DECREASE IN CALLS TO 91 BUT AT

THE SAME TIME THEY'VE SEEN AN

INCREASE IN VISITORS TO THEIR

DOMESTIC VIOLENCE WEBSITE.

FROM YOUR PERSPECTIVE, WHAT DO

YOU THINK THE SHIFT IN PEOPLE

REACHING OUT FOR HELP WOULD

INDICATE ABOUT THE SITUATION

THAT THEY FIND THEMSELVES IN.

>> I THINK THE DECREASE IN CALLS

DOESN'T NECESSARILY INDICATE A

DECREASE IN INCIDENTS.

WHAT IT COULD INDICATE IS THAT

THE VICTIMS ARE NOW IN A PLACE

WHERE THEY CAN'T SAFELY MAKE A

CALL.

THEIR ABUSERS ARE RIGHT BESIDE

THEM MONITORING THEIR PHONES,

AND THEIR ACCESS TO THE OUTSIDE

WORLD.

THIS IS WHERE IT IS IMPERATIVE

FOR PEOPLE WHO KNOW PEOPLE IN

ABUSIVE RELATIONSHIPS TO REACH

OUT TO THEM AND MAYBE BE THEIR

LIFELINE TO THOSE VICTIMS THAT

ARE IN QUARANTINE.

THERE'S RESOURCES OUT THERE.

NATIONAL DOMESTIC HOT LINE,

1800799-SAFE.

THERE'S ALSO THE NEW YORK STATE

HOT LINE.

WHICH IS, I'M GOING TO GET THIS

NUMBER FOR YOU.

IT WAS IN GOVERNOR'S CUOMO DID

BRIEFING.

IT IS 800-942-6906.

THOSE ARE SOME RESOURCES OUT

THERE.

WHEN WE GET THE GUIDELINES ABOUT

HOW TO NAVIGATE THIS CRISIS IN

TERMS OF OUR PERSONAL HEALTH,

WASHING OUR HANDS, WEARING

MASKS, SOCIAL DISTANCING

GUIDELINES, THERE'S SHOULD ALSO

BE GUIDELINES ABOUT DOMESTIC

VIOLENCE BECAUSE WOMEN AND

CHILDREN ARE MORE AT RISK DURING

THESE VERY, VERY DEVASTATING

TIMES.

>> OF COURSE, AND NOT ONLY WITH

THE QUARANTINES, BUT I WOULD

ASSUME THAT ALSO WITH THE

UNCERTAINTY AND THE JOB MARKET,

PEOPLE MAY BE LOSING INCOME, ET

CETERA, THAT COULD ALSO BE

ADDING STRESS TO SITUATIONS AND

RELATIONSHIPS THAT ARE ALREADY

INCREDIBLY STRESSED.

SO MY NEXT QUESTION IS, EVEN

THOUGH AS YOU JUST DESCRIBED,

NOT ALL DOMESTIC ABUSE IS IN THE

FORM OF PHYSICAL VIOLENCE, FOR

PEOPLE WHO ARE EXPERIENCING

PHYSICAL VIOLENCE THERE'S A

CERTAIN AMOUNT OF APPREHENSION

ABOUT GOING TO HOSPITALS AS WE

HEAR ON THE NEWS ER RG ROOMS ARE

OVERWHELMED AND THERE'S NO MORE

ROOM AND DOCTORS ARE STRETCHED

TO THE LIMIT.

WHAT IS YOUR ADVICE TO PEOPLE

WHO MIGHT FIND THEM SELVES IN

NEED OF MEDICAL ATTENTION?

>> MY ADVICE IS WHAT THE EXPERTS

ARE SAYING.

IN AN EMERGENCY, IF YOU ARE IN

DANGER, IF YOU HAVE BEEN

PHYSICALLY HARMED, CALL 911.

THAT REALLY IS, AT THE MOMENT,

THE BEST RESORT.

AND I'M HOPING THAT OUR

GOVERNMENT REALLY TAKES THE

HEALTH AND SAFETY OF WOMEN AND

CHILDREN VERY SERIOUSLY RIGHT

NOW.

THOSE WHO ARE IN SITUATIONS OF

DOMESTIC VIOLENCE.

FOR INSTANCE, CANADA ANNOUNCED

PART OF ITS COVID-19 ECONOMIC

RELIEF MEASURES IT WAS LOCATED

$40 MILLION TO SHELTERS AND

DOMESTIC VIOLENCE ORGANIZATIONS.

THAT'S A REALLY IMPORTANT

STATEMENT.

AND I FEEL LIKE CAN FOLLOW

EXAMPLES LIKE THAT.

>> OF COURSE, OF COURSE.

I WAS ALSO WONDERING IF YOU

COULD TALK TO ME A LITTLE BIT

ABOUT WHAT SOME VICTIMS OF

DOMESTIC ABUSE MIGHT BE

EXPERIENCING, NOT JUST BASED ON

YOUR OWN EXPERIENCE, BUT JUST I

GUESS, STATISTICALLY.

A I UNDERSTAND, A BIG PROBLEM

FOR WOMEN COULD BE PUTTING

THEMSELVES SECOND AND THEIR

ABUSER BEFORE THEM, IN TERMS OF

NEEDS AND CARING ABOUT WHAT

HAPPENS.

ALSO THERE'S THE ISSUE OF SHAME.

A LOT OF PEOPLE DON'T WANT THIS

TO BECOME PUBLIC.

THEY MIGHT BE HESITANT TO ASK

FOR HELP OR GO TO A SHELTER IF

THAT'S NECESSARY.

>> WELL, I WANT TO TALK ABOUT

SOME OF THE STORIES I'M HEARING

THAT ARE HAPPENING RIGHT NOW

THAT SHOW KIND OF AN INCREASE IN

THE TENURE AND INTENSITY OF THE

ABUSE THAT WOMEN ARE

EXPERIENCING.

FOR EXAMPLE A CALLER'S DOMESTIC

VIOLENCE HOT LINE TALKED ABOUT

HER HUSBAND THREATENING TO THROW

HER OUT OF THE HOUSE TO EXPOSE

HER TO THE VIRUS.

ANOTHER WOMAN TALKED ABOUT BEING

FORCED TO WASH HER HANDS UNTIL

THEY BLED.

ALSO WE'RE HEARING ABOUT

INCREASE IN SALES OF FIREARMS

AROUND THE COUNTRY.

PERPETRATORS OF GUN VIOLENCE ARE

OFTEN PERPETRATORS OF DOMESTIC

VIOLENCE.

THESE ARE ALL SCARY INDICATORS,

BUT WHILE THEY'RE SCARY

INDICATORS I DO BREF THERE ARE

SOLUTIONS AND WE NEED FOR OUR

STATE AND FEDERAL GOVERNMENTS TO

SUPPORT THEM, TO PROVIDE THEM.

THERE'S FAMILY JUSTICE CENTER.

SANCTIFY --

CDC REPORT ONE IN THREE WOMEN

EXPERIENCE ABUSE, STOCKING, BY

AN -- STALKING, BY A PARTNER.

SHOCKING STATISTICS.

AND U.S. NAMED THE 10th MOST

DANGEROUS PLACE IN THE WORLD FOR

WOMEN.

THE ONLY WESTERN COUNTRY ON THAT

LIST.

WE HAVE AN OPPORTUNITY DURING

THIS PANDEMIC TO TRY AND BUILD A

BETTER FUTURE.

TO ENVISION SOLUTIONS FOR A

KINDER, MORE HUMANE WORLD.

WE'RE ALL IN THIS TOGETHER.

WE'RE ALL IN IT FOR THE LONG

HAUL.

WE CAN ENVISION SOLUTIONS TO

HELP THE WOMEN AND CHILDREN WHO

REALLY NEED US RIGHT NOW.

THOSE WHO ARE IN SITUATIONS OF

DOMESTIC VIOLENCE.

>> OKAY.

I'M SPEAKING WITH TANYA SILVER

RUTMAN, WRITER, PRODUCER,

ARTIST.

YOU HAVE A BOOK TITLED "ASSUME

NOTHING: A MEMOIR OF PERSONAL

VIOLENCE" I WONDER IF YOU COULD

TELL US ABOUT YOUR PERSONAL

STORY AND HOW IT AFFECTED YOU AS

A WOMAN.

>> I WAS ALWAYS SOMEONE WHO

THOUGHT I WOULD NEVER PUT UP

WITH ABUSE, AND THEN IT HAPPENED

TO ME.

AND IT TOOK ME A WHILE TO SPOT

IT, AND THEN IT TOOK ME A WHILE

TO GET OUT OF IT.

IN BRIEF, I WRITE IN THE BOOK

ABOUT MY EXPERIENCE OF ABUSE AT

THE HANDS OF A VERY POWERFUL

PUBLIC FIGURE, FORMER ATTORNEY

GENERAL OF NEW YORK STATE, ERIC

SNYDERMAN

IT TOOK A

OPENING UP OF A

FRIEND WHO ASKED QUESTIONS THAT

HAD ME OPEN UP AND WHAT SHE

HEARD ME DESCRIBE MY EXPERIENCES

SHE ASKED IF I WOULD BE WILLING

TO SPEAK WITH A FRIEND OF HERS

WHO IS A DOMESTIC VIOLENCE

EXPERT, JENNIFER FREEDMAN WHO IS

A LEGAL DIRECTOR AFTER SANCTUARY

TO FOR FAMILIES, I REALIZED I

WAS DEALING WITH ABUSE AND WAS

PART OF A PATTERN AND I WAS ONE

OF MILLIONS.

AS A SURVIVOR TOLD WHEN I WAS

DEALING WITH MY OWN SITUATION,

YOU'RE NOT CRAZY, YOU'RE NOT

ALONE.

IN WRITING THIS BOOK I WANTED TO

CONVEY THAT MESSAGE TO OTHER

PEOPLE.

THE BOOK IS DESCRIBED AS A

THRILLER WITH THE POTENTIAL TO

SAVE LIVES.

I'M REALLY LOOKING FORWARD TO

GETTING IT OUT IN THE WORLD.

IT WAS SUPPOSED TO LAUNCH THIS

MONTH BUT IS BEING DELAYED FOR

VERY GOOD REASONS, WHICH IS THE

THEME IS TIMELESS, BREAKING FREE

FROM ABUSIVE RELATIONSHIPS BUT

YOU CAN'T BREAK FREE WHILE IN

QUARANTINE.

COULD INSTEAD I WROTE TO THE NEW

YORK TIMES ABOUT HOW TO NAVIGATE

DOMESTIC VIOLENCE DURING THESE

CHALLENGING TIMES AND I LOOK

FORWARD TO LAUNCHING THE BOOK

WHEN THE TIME IS RIGHT WHEN IT

CAN REACH THE PEOPLE THAT I'M

HOPING IT WILL HELP THE MOST.

>> ALL RIGHT.

WELL, TANYA, WE'RE RUNNING OUT

OF TIME.

BUT I WOULD LOVE IF YOU COULD

REITERATE THE NUMBERS PEOPLE

COULD CALL IF THEY FIND

THEMSELVES IN CRISIS.

THE NATIONAL DOMESTIC HOT LINE

AND OF COURSE THE ONE FOR NEW

YORK STATE.

>> THE NOGS DOMESTIC HOT LINE IS

1-800-799-SAFE.

S-A-F-E.

AND THE NEW YORK STATE HOT LINE

IS 1-800-942-6906.

ALSO, IF IT IS AN EMERGENCY CALL

911.

AND IF YOU YOURSELF CAN'T

MALAYSIA THE CALL

-- MAKE THE CALL FIND A WAY TO

HAVE A FRIEND P USE A CODE WORD,

LEG

LET THEM KNOW YOU'RE IN DANGER.

>> THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THE

WORK YOU DO, WE LOOK FORWARD TO

YOUR BOOK BEING RELEASED AND

THANK YOU FOR JOINING US ON THE

PROGRAM.

>> THANK YOU FOR HAVING ME AND

HIGHLIGHTING THIS IMPORTANT

JISHL AND I HOPE THAT NEXT TIME

WE CAN DO THIS INTERVIEW IN

PERSON.

>> ABSOLUTELY.

ME TOO.

THANK YOU, AGAIN.

>> THANK YOU SO MUCH.

BE WELL.

>> WELCOME TO "METRO FOCUS" I'M

JACK FORD.

SINCE THE WORLD IS BESIEGED WITH

THE CORONAVIRUS WE STRUGGLE WITH

WHEN MIGHT IT END, HOW MIGHT IT

END, ANSWERS TO THESE QUESTIONS

ARE COMPLEX AND ALLUSIVE, SO WE

HAVE DONE WHAT WE ALWAYS DO,

WHICH IS TURN TO SCIENCE TO HELP

US IN THIS STRUGGLE.

WE'RE DELIGHTED TODAY TO HAVE

JOINING US ONE SUCH SCIENTIST

WHO HAS DEVOTED HER PROFESSIONAL

LIFE TO THESE TYPES OF JURISSUE

RESEARCH WRITINGS, WE'RE

DELIGHTED TO HAVE AN ASSOCIATE

YALT PROFESSOR AT SCHOOL OF

HEALTH AND AN EXPERT ON THE

DYNAMICS INFECTIOUS DISEASE

TRANSITION.

THANK YOU FOR JOINING US.

>> THANK YOU FOR HAVING ME.

>> LET ME START WITH THE

OVERARCHING QUESTION, WHICH IS

THE WHEN QUESTION.

WE HEARD SPECULATIONS OF WEEKS,

MONTHS, EVEN YEARS SHALL AND WE

HAVE TO UNDERSTAND THERE'S SO

MANY VARIABLES INVOLVED HERE BUT

GIVEN THE RESEARCH THAT YOU'VE

DONE OVER THE YEAR AND LOOKING

AT THE SCIENTIFIC MODELS THAT

YOU'VE SEEN WHAT'S THE BEST

SENSE OF PROBABILITIES OF THE

TIME PARAMETERS THAT YOU CAN

OFFER FOR US?

>> I THINK THAT WITH THE CURRENT

WAVE OF CASES THAT'S OCCURRING

RIGHT NOW THAT WE'RE PROBABLY

LIKELY TO SEE A PEAK OCCURRING

AT LEAST IN PLACES LIKE NEW YORK

AND CONNECTICUT AND THE PLACES

WHERE THE DISEASE IS REALLY

SPREADING, KIND OF A LOT RIGHT

NOW, IT SEEMS LIKE SOME OF THE

SOCIAL DISTANCING MEASURES THAT

HAVE BEEN PUT INTO PLACE ARE

STARTING TO HAVE SOME AFBLGT AND

THAT WE MAY SEE A PEAK OCCURRING

IN SOME CASES IN THE NEXT FEW

WEEKS BUT WHEN IT COMES TO THE

WIDER QUESTION OF WHEN THIS

MIGHT PEAK ACROSS THE U.S., I

THINK A LOT OF IT DEPENDS ON

WHAT CONTROL MEASURES ARE PUT

INTO PLACE, HOW QUICKLY THEY MAY

HAVE AN AFBLGFECT AS AND HOW

IMMUNITY COMES INTO PLAY TO

LIMIT TRANSMISSION.

>> YOUR AREA HAS BEEN THE IMPACT

OF INTERVENTION ON THE SPREAD OF

DISEASES, WITH THAT AS YOUR

BACKGROUND WHAT FACTORS WILL

SPECIFICALLY IMPACT THE

-- THIS PANDEMIC, AND WHAT IT

MIGHT COME TO AN END?

>> I THINK THERE'S A NUMBER OF

DIFFERENT FACTORS THAT REALLY

KIND OF COME INTO PLAY.

PART OF WHAT WE'RE DOING NOW AND

REALLY I THINK THE ONLY OPTION

THAT WE HAVE NOW FOR CONTROLLING

THE SPREAD OF THE SARS

CORONAVIRUS IS TO INSTITUTE

THESE SOCIAL DISTANCING MEASURES

THAT REALLY ARE INTENDED TO

PREVENT PEOPLE FROM CONTACTING

OTHER PEOPLE, LIMITING THE

NUMBER OF CONTACTS PEOPLE HAVE,

SUCH THAT THEY'RE NOT SPREADING

IT AS WIDELY WITHIN THE

POPULATION.

AS THE NUMBERS START TO GO DOWN

AND WE GET MORE OF A HANDLE ON

TRANSMISSION THAT'S OCCURRING,

INCREASING OUR TESTING CAPACITY

SUCH THAT WE CAN IDENTIFY CASES

AS EARLY AS POSSIBLE, MAKE SURE

THOSE INDIVIDUALS, WHETHER

THEY'RE HAVING SEVERE SIYMPSYMP

OR NOT, ARE ISOLATED, STAYING

HOME, NOT CONTACTING OTHER

PEOPLE, AND THAT THE PEOPLE

THEY'VE COME INTO CONTACT WITH

STAY HOME, BECAUSE THEY COULD

POTENTIALLY BE SPREADING IT

WITHOUT KNOWING IF THEY ARE

INFECTED.

>> TO SOME THAT MIGHT SOUND

COUNTER INTUITIVE.

YOU SAY AS THE NUMBERS GO DOWN

IT'S IMPORTANT WE INCREASE

TESTING.

WHY IS THAT SO, JUST EMPHASIZE

THE SIGNIFICANCE OF THAT.

>> I THINK WE NEED TO BE TESTING

A LOT MORE NOW, BUT I THINK THAT

THE FIRST WAY TO REALLY GET

THINGS UNDER CONTROL IS JUST TO

CLAMP DOWN AS HARD AS POSSIBLE

ON EVERYONE TO LIMIT

TRANSMISSION JUST BECAUSE A LOT

OF THE CASES THAT ARE

CONSIDERING TODAY ARE REALLY

REFLECTING TRANSMISSION THAT

OCCURRED ONE OR TWO WEEKS AGO SO

IT IS A BIT DIFFICULT TO GO BACK

NOW TO THE CASES OCCURRING NOW

TO SAY WHO WAS IT YOU WERE IN

CONTACT WITH ONE OR TWO WEEKS

AGO WHEN YOU MAY HAVE FIRST

STARTED TO EXPERIENCE SYMPTOMS

CAN OR EVEN BEFORE YOU STARTED

TO EXPERIENCE SYMPTOMS, THERE'S

SOME EVIDENCE PEOPLE WILL STILL

BE INFERKS -- INFECTIOUS WITH

THIS VIRUS.

I THINK BECAUSE THE INFECTION

SEEMS QUITE WIDESPREAD AT THE

MOMENT SOME OF THE MORE

AGGRESSIVE SOCIAL DISTANCING

MEASURES ARE REALLY NEEDED.

ONE OF THE QUESTIONS IS AS WE

START TO RELAX STRICT SOCIAL

DISTANCING MEASURES CAN WE THEN

KEEP IT UNDER CONTROL WITH THE

TARGETING TESTING, QUARANTINE

CONTACT SITUATION..

>> EXPLAIN THE CONCEPT OF

IMMUNIZATION AND HOW THAT CAN

ENTER INTO THE EQUATION HERE OF

WHEN THIS ENTIRE PANDEMIC MIGHT

COME TO A CONCLUSION.

>> YEAH, SO I THINK THAT ONE OF

THE REALLY NEED KIND OF

IMPORTANT AND SOMEWHAT , YOU

KNOW, DISCONCERTING THINGS RIGHT

NOW IS THAT AS WE START TO LIFT

SOME OF THE STRICTER SOCIAL

DISTANCING MEASURES, IT MAY BE

THAT WE SEE MORE CASES START TO

INCREASE AGAIN BECAUSE

NOT ENOUGH PEOPLE HAVE BEEN

INFECTED AND NOT EVERYONE'S

GOING TO HAVE IMMUNITY TO THE

DISEASE.

SO WE MAY GET INTO THIS PATTERN

OF HAVING REPEATED NEED FOR

SOCIAL DISTANCING UNTIL WE GET

TO THE POINT WHERE ENOUGH

IMMUNITY HAS BUILT UP INTO THE

POPULATION THAT INDIVIDUALS WHO

ARE INFECTIOUS ARE MORE LIKELY

TO COME INTO CONTACT WITH

SOMEONE WHO ALREADY HAS IMMUNITY

AND THEY'RE NOT ABLE TO SPREAD

IT EFFECTIVELY.

BUT ULTIMATELY I THINK WHAT WILL

BE NECESSARY TO REALLY CONTROL

THE DISEASE IN THE LONG RUN IS

TO DEVELOP A VACCINE

AGAINST THE SARS CORONAVIRUS

SUCH THAT WE CAN IMPART THAT I

AM -- IMMUNITY TO INDIVIDUALS

AND PROTECT THEM WITHOUT THE

NEED TO HAVE TO ACQUIRE THE

VIRUS THEMSELVES.

>> KWAE HEARD EXPERTS TALK ABOUT

THE PROSPECT OF A SECOND WAVE

AND PERHAPS EVEN A THIRD WAVE OF

THE CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC THAT

WE'RE STRUGGLING WITH NOW.

SO PEOPLE UNDERSTAND, WE'RE NOT

TALKING ABOUT PAY WAVE MEANING

WORKING FROM THE EAST COAST TO

THE WEST COAST, WE'RE TALKING

ABOUT A GLOBAL WAVE.

EXPLAIN THAT TO US AND EXPLAIN

THE PROSPECTS OF IT.

>> YEAH, SO, I MEAN, THERE'S A

VARIETY OF DIFFERENT REASONS WHY

WE MIGHT START TO SEE MULTIPLE

WAVES OF CORONAVIRUS HAPPENING.

ONE IS THIS IDEA BEHIND THE

LIFTING OF SOCIAL DISTANCING

MEASURES AND IF WE DON'T HAVE

ENOUGH IMMUNITY IN THE

POPULATION, IF WE GOT PAST ONE

PEAK OF THE EPIDEMIC IS, KNOCK

DOWN INFECTIONS, IF WE DON'T GET

RID OF IT COMPLETELY GLOBALLY IT

IS POSSIBLE BECAUSE THERE'S NOT

ENOUGH IMMUNITY IN THE

POPULATION AS THE VIRUS STARTS

TO TRANSMIT YOU COULD SEE A

SECOND WAVE HAPPENING.

ANOTHER POSSIBILITY IS ANO

ANOTHER -- A NUMBER OF

RESPIRATORY VIRUSES DON'T

TRANSMIT AS WELL IN THE SUMMER,

COULD BE IN PART BECAUSE SCHOOL

KIDS PLAY A PART SPREADING THE

FLU, WE DON'T KNOW THEIR ROLE IN

SPREADING THE SARS VIRUS, BUT

BECAUSE KIDS ARE NO LONGER IN

SCHOOL IN THE SUMMER WE TEND TO

SEE A DECREASE IN FLU CASES IN

THE SUMMER.

ENVIRONMENT CONDITIONS ARE KNOWN

TO AFFECT THE TRANSMISSION OF

RESPIRATORY VIRUSES LIKE FLU

WHERE FLU DOESN'T TRANSMIT AS

WELL WHEN HUMIDITY TENDS TO BE

HIGH AS IT IS IN THE SUMMER, SO

WE MAY SEE LESS TRANSMISSION IN

THE SUMMER PARTLY BECAUSE OF THE

ENVIRONMENTAL CONDITIONS AND

PARTLY BECAUSE KIDS ARE OUT OF

SCHOOL.

AND WHEN KIDS GO BACK IN THE

FALL AND ENVIRONMENTAL

CONDITIONS BECOME MORE FAVORABLE

AGAIN TO THE TRANSMISSION OF THE

VIRUS THAT'S ANOTHER REASON WHY

WE MIGHT EXPECT TO SEE A SECOND

WAVE OF THE VIRUS COMING SOME

TIME IN THE FALL OR WINTER

MONTHS POSSIBLY.

AND THEN ANOTHER POTENTIAL

REASON BEHIND WHY WE TEND TO

SEE, SAY, YOU KNOW, MULTIPLE

WAVES OF FLU HAS TO DO WITH JUST

IMMUNITY WITHIN THE POPULATION.

THE TIME FRAMES ON WHICH WE MAY

GAIN IMMUNITY FROM PREVIOUS

INFECTION BUT THEN LOSE THAT

IMMUNITY OVER THE COURSE OF A

YEAR OR MORE.

>> WE'RE TALKING WITH DR.

VIRGINIA FITTERS, DOCTOR OF

MEDICINE AND EXPERT IN SPREADING

OF INFECTIOUS DISEASES.

WE TEND TO LOOK FOR COMPARISONS

IN OUR LIVES, THIS IS WHAT WE

HAVE NOW, THIS IS WHAT WE CAN

LEARN FROM WHAT HAPPENED IN THE

PAST.

OFTEN TIMES YOU HEAR PEOPLE SAY

HERE'S WHAT HAPPENS WITH SARS,

HERE'S WHAT HAPPENED WITH MERS,

HERE'S WHAT HAPPEN IN 1918.

ARE THERE IN FACT HARD PARALLELS

TO WHAT WE'RE EXPERIENCING NOW

TO ALLOW US TO MAKE PREDICTIONS

IN THE FUTURE?

OR IS THAT NOT AT ALL POSSIBLE?

>> I THINK THERE ARE POTENTIALLY

SOME PARALLELS.

--

THIS VIRUS IS QUITE DIFFERENT

FROM THE 2003 SARS EPIDEMIC THAT

OCCURS MOSTLY IN ASIA AS WELL AS

IN CANADA WHERE WITH THAT VIRUS

MOST INDIVIDUALS WHO WERE IN

INFECTED ACTUALLY HAD VERY

DISTINCT SYMPTOMS AND ENDED UP

GETTING VERY SICK AND THEY ALSO

DIDN'T SEEM TO TRANSMIT THAT

VIRUS UNTIL RELATIVELY LATE IN

THEIR COURSE OF ILLNESS, UNTIL

THEY WERE PRETTY SICK WITH THE

PARTICULAR DISEASE, AND BECAUSE

OF THAT, IT WAS RELATIVELY

EASIER TO CONTROL THAT SARS

VIRUS BECAUSE WE WERE ABLE TO

IDENTIFY CASES, ISOLATE CASES,

AS WELL AS QUARANTINE

WHEREAS WITH THIS VIRUS IT MAY

BE THAT UP TO 60% OF INDIVIDUALS

NEVER REALLY EXPERIENCE THE

SEVERE SYMPTOMS OR THE DISTINCT

SYMPTOMS THAT WE ASSOCIATED WITH

COVID-19.

AND IT'S ALSO SEEMS LIKELY THAT

INDIVIDUALS MAY BE INFECTIOUS

WITH THE VIRUS OR THEY START TO

EXHIBIT SYMPTOMS SO IT BECOMES

MUCH MORE DIFFICULT TO CONTROL

THE DISEASE THROUGH THOSE CASE

ISOLATION AND QUARANTINE MEASURE

THAT'S WERE INSTITUTED WITH

SARS.

AND SIMILARLY WITH MERS MOST

INDIVIDUALS WILL BE SYMPTOMATIC

WITH THE DISEASE AND IT DOESN'T

SPREAD AS EFFICIENTLY AS THIS

PARTICULAR VIRUS DOES.

I THINK THE PARALLELS TO THE

1918 FLU IN A LOT OF WAYS ARE

MORE APPROPRIATE BUT THAT WAS

MORE THAN A SICENTURY AGO NOW,

WAS QUITE A DIFFERENT TIME.

SO TO REALLY TRY TO USE THE

LESSONS LEARNED DURING 1918 FLU

PANDEMIC AND TO APPLY THOSE

TODAY, SO MUCH HAS CHANGED

WITHIN SOCIETY THAT IT'S A

LITTLE BIT HARD TO SAY CAN WE

LEARN FROM THOSE LESSONS THAT

OCCURRED MORE THAN A CENTURY

AGO.

>> THIS QUICK QUESTION FOR YOU,

IF I CAN, ARE WE PERHAPS LOOKING

AT SOMETHING HERE THAT MIGHT

BECOME A -- A SEASONAL EPISODE

IN OUR PANDEMIC OF SEASONAL

FLUS, IS THAT A POSSIBILITY

HERE?

>> I THINK IT'S CERTAINLY A

POSSIBILITY.

WE KNOW THERE'S OTHER HUMAN

CORONAVIRUS WHICH CAUSE SEASONAL

ILLNESS WITHIN HUMANS AND

CONTINUE TO CIRCULATE KIND OF

EVERY YEAR CAUSE -- IT'S ONE OF

THE CAUSES OF THE COMMON COLD.

IT'S NOT THE ONLY VIRUS THAT

CAUSES THE COMMON COLD BUT IT'S

ONE OF THE VIRUSES THAT DOES

THAT AND IT'S THOUGHT THAT

IMMUNITY TO THOSE VIRUSES ONLY

LASTS ON THE ORDER OF AROUND

NINE MONTHS OR SO.

SO NOW THAT THIS VIRUS, I THINK,

IS WITH US AND HAS SPREAD

GLOBALLY, IT'S LIKELY TO BE WITH

US FOR A VERY LONG TIME.

WE STILL DON'T REALLY KNOW AND I

DON'T THINK WE WILL KNOW FOR A

WHILE HOW LODGE LIVED IMMUNITY

MAY BE AFTER AN INDIVIDUAL IS

INFECTED WITH THE CORONAVIRUS.

AND THAT WILL PLAY A REALLY

IMPORTANT ROLE IN DETERMINING

KIND OF WHETHER OR NOT WE MAY

SEE SEASONAL OUTBREAKS OF THIS

IN THE FUTURE.

>> RIGHT.

WELL, I SAID IN THE BEGINNING

WE'RE LOOKING TO OUR SCIENTISTS

TO HELP US UNDERSTAND, AND

DOCTOR, YOU HAVE DONE A

MARVELOUS JOB HELPING US

UNDERSTAND.

IT'S A VERY COMPLICATED ISSUE.

I CAN SEE WHY YOU ARE SUCH A

GOOD PROFESSOR, YOU DID GOOD JOB

EDUCATING US.

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR JOINING US

AND HOPE TO TALK TO YOU AGAIN

DOWN THE ROAD.

MEANTIME STAY SAFE.

>> YEAH, YOU TOO.

>> BE WELL.

>> BYE.

♪

>> FROM THE LATEST NEWS ON THE

CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC AND YOUR

COMMUNITY VISIT US AT "METRO

FOCUS".ORG.

FACEBOOK AND TWITTER.

GOOD NIGHT AND STAY SAFE.

>> "METRO FOCUS" IS MADE

POSSIBLE BY --


FEATURED PROGRAMS

You Are Cordially Invited
World Channel
WLIW Arts Beat
When The World Answered
Walk, Turn, Walk
VOCES
Under a Minute
Tractor: The Movie
THIRTEEN Specials
The “C” Files with Maria Brito
The Temple Makers
The Art Assignment
State of the Arts
State of the Art
Secrets of the Dead