MetroFocus

FULL EPISODE

1/15: NYPD Relations, Charter Schools, Ice Sculpture

PBS NewsHour Weekend's Hari Sreenivasan and MetroFocus host Rafael Pi Roman interview community leaders and retired NYPD officers including professor John Eterno about policing methods and improving community relations. Founder & CEO of Success Academy Charter Schools, Eva Moskowitz discusses charter schools in NYC. And TV station WSKG looks at ice sculptures by Mark Crouthamel.

AIRED: January 15, 2015 | 0:26:46
ABOUT THE PROGRAM
TRANSCRIPT

>>> FROM THE WORLD'S LEADING

CENTER FOR FINANCE, THE ARTS

PUBLISHING, SCIENCE, RESEARCH,

MEDIA, INNOVATION, AND MUC

MORE, THIS IS "METROFOCUS" WIT

RAFAEL PI ROMAN.

>>> TONIGHT, POLICE, POLITICS,

PROTESTS, POLICY

WHAT'S NEXT FOR NEW YORK AND ITS

POLICE DEPARTMENT?

>> YOU DO NEED TO WORK WITH TH

COMMUNITY.

THAT'S SOMETHING THAT HAS BEEN

LOST OVER TIME

>> ARE CHARTER SCHOOLS THE

SOLUTION

>> WE ARE REALLY INTERESTED IN

KIDS FALLING IN LOVE WIT

LEARNING AND SCHOOL.

I THINK IN LARGE MEASURE, WE

HAVE ACCOMPLISHED THAT

>> TURNING ICE INTO A MONE

MAKING ART FORM.

>> FUNDING FOR THIS PROGRAM IS

PROVIDED BY THE FOLLOWING --

CORPORATE FUNDING FO

"METROFOCUS" IS PROVIDED B

MUTUAL OF AMERICA.

YOUR RETIREMENT COMPANY.

>>> THE DIVIDE BETWEEN MAYOR

BILL DE BLASIO AND SOME MEMBER

OF THE NEW YORK POLICE

DEPARTMENT CONTINUES

THE MAYOR DID NOT HAVE THE

SUPPORT OF ALL THE POLICE UNIONS

DURING HIS CAMPAIGN.

AFTER A GRAND JURY DECLINED TO

INDICT THE OFFICER RESPONSIBLE

FOR ERIC GARDNER'S DEATH I

STATEN ISLAND, PROTESTS ERUPTE

WITH LITTLE POLICE INTERVENTION.

THE DISPUTE BETWEEN THE MAYO

AND SOME IN THE NYPD HAS BEE

DENIABLE

HUNDREDS OF POLICEMEN AND WOME

TURNED THEIR BACKS ON THE MAYO

AS HE SPOKE AT THE FUNERALS OF

TWO OFFICERS KILLED BY A

PSYCHOLOGICALLY CHALLENGED

GUNMAN

HARI SREENIVASAN HAS HEARD

DIFFERENT PERSPECTIVES AS HE HAS

FOLLOWED THE STORY

WE BEGIN OUR STORY WITH EXCERPTS

FROM HIS CONVERSATION WITH ELJOY

WILLIAMS AND JULIAN HARPER

>> WHAT WAS VERY INTERESTING THE

DAY THE GRAND JURY REFUSED T

PRESS CHARGES AGAINST TH

OFFICER WHO HAD THE CHOKEHOLD ON

ERIC GARNER, PART OF THE

CONVERSATION THAT THE MAYOR SAID

HE HAD WITH HIS BIRACIAL SON

>> WE HAVE HAD TO TRAIN HIM AS

FAMILIES HAVE ALL OVER THE CIT

FOR DECADES, TO TAKE SPECIAL

CARE WHEN HE ENTERS A POLICE

OFFICER.

>> WHEN YOU WERE A POLIC

OFFICER, EVEN NOW, DID YOU HAV

THAT CONVERSATION WITH YOU

FAMILY

>> ABSOLUTELY.

AFTER THE ERIC GARNER INCIDENT

MY SON CALLS ME AND HE SAYS,

DAD, HE SAYS, I'M AFRAID

HE SAID IT'S -- IT'S AGAINST THE

LAW TO BE A LARGE BLACK MAN.

MY SON IS A RATHER LARGE MAN

THAT REALLY BOTHERED ME.

I HAVE TO BE CONCERNED ABOUT M

SON'S SAFETY

I HAVE TO BE CONCERNED ABOUT HIS

PERCEPTION OF HIM BEING A LARG

BLACK MAN.

WE HAVE TO HAVE THES

CONVERSATIONS.

UNFORTUNATELY THE WAY THE POLICE

RESPOND AND INTERACT WITH OU

BLACK YOUTH IS PROBLEMATIC

CHILDREN ARE AFRAID.

IT'S TOTALLY IRRELEVANT WITH

ANYTHING TO DO WITH POLICING

THAT OUR YOUTH ARE AFRAID OF LAW

ENFORCEMENT.

>> HOW IS IT A POLICE OFFICE

HAS TO HAVE A CONVERSATION WIT

HIS SON WARNING THAT SON ABOUT

INTERACTIONS WITH HIS FELLOW

POLICE OFFICERS?

>> BECAUSE THOSE POLIC

OFFICERS, INCLUDING MYSELF, WE

SEE HOW THE INTERACTIONS G

BETWEEN THE COMMUNITY, YOUNG

BLACK MALES AND THE POLICE

DEPARTMENT

>> ELJOY, WE HEARD CONVERSATIONS

THAT MOTHERS HAVE HAD WITH

TEENS, POST FERGUSON AND POS

GARNER

WHAT WAS DIFFERENT ABOUT THIS?

WAS THERE AN ADDED LEGITIMAC

BECAUSE THERE WAS A WHITE MAYO

STANDING AT A PODIUM SAYING HE

TO HAVE THIS CONVERSATION,

WHEREAS AFRICAN-AMERICAN

FAMILIES SAID THAT'S NOT NEWS TO

US

>> DEFINITELY.

THIS CONVERSATION WE HAVE IS NOT

NEW.

THE DIFFERENCE HERE WAS THER

WAS A WHITE MAYOR, WHO I

STANDING BEHIND ALL OF THE POWER

THAT COMES WITH BEING MAYOR.

AND SAYING THAT HE HAD THE SAM

CONVERSATION

AND SO IT'S SOMEHOW LEGITIMIZE

TO CERTAIN COMMUNITIES AND

CERTAIN PEOPLE THAT THIS HAPPENS

OR AT LEAST BRINGS IT TO THE

FOREFRONT THAT SOMETHING LIK

THIS HAS TO BE ADDRESSED

>> JUST THE MENTION OF THA

CONVERSATION AND PERHAPS THE

INCREASED LEGITIMATIZATION OF IT

WAS A SORE SPOT FOR MANY POLIC

OFFICERS IN NEW YORK AND

ELSEWHERE IN THE COUNTRY

WHY IS THAT?

>> WELL, I BLAME A LOT OF THAT

ON MAYOR BLOOMBERG, ACTUALLY

YOU HAVE TO REMEMBER, WHAT

HAPPENED WAS THAT THERE WA

GREAT INCREASE IN STOP

QUESTION, FRISK.

THAT'S WHERE A LOT OF TENSIO

CAME FROM, FROM A LOT OF BLACK

BEING STOPPED.

OUT OF ALL OF STOPS, 90% WEREN'T

EVEN ARRESTED.

90% OF PEOPLE STOPPED FO

BASICALLY NO REASON.

OF COURSE WILL YOU HAVE TENSIO

THERE.

GOT TO REMEMBER, UNDER GULIANI

EVEN THOUGH WE WERE CLEANING U

THE CITY, THE NUMBER OF STOP

QUESTION AND FRISK HOPPED UP T

ABOUT 100,000 A YEAR

UNDER BLOOMBERG THAT INCREASED

TO ALMOST 700,000 A YEAR

THAT'S A VAST INCREASE

>> JOINING ME NOW IS PROFESSOR

JOHNNY TURNO, FORMER CAPTAIN I

THE NYPD AND DIRECTOR OF

GRADUATE STUDIES OF GRADUATE

STUDIES AT MALLOY COLLEGE, HE IS

ALSO AN AUTHOR

PROFESSOR, WELCOME

>> THANK YOU FOR HAVING ME

>> LET ME START WITH WHAT FORMER

OFFICER WILLIAMS SAID IN THE

CLIP

DO YOU AGREE WITH HIM, THAT TH

PRIME CAUSE OF THE FRICTION THAT

EXISTS BETWEEN THE POLICE AN

MANY IN OUR COMMUNITIES OF

COLOR, WAS THE EXPLOSION OF STOP

AND FRISK DURING THE BLOOMBERG

ADMINISTRATION

>> I CERTAINLY THINK THAT WA

PART OF IT

WE HAD SO MUCH PRESSURE OVER

THOSE 12 YEARS THAT HE WAS I

OFFICE

IT WENT FROM 100,000 TO 700,00

STOPS.

ON TOP OF THAT CRIME WAS ALREADY

DOWN 60% WHEN HE GOT INT

OFFICE

THIS PRESSURE WAS BUILDING OVE

TIME

AS MAYOR DE BLASIO GOT INT

OFFICE, THE CORK FROM THAT

PRESSURE POPPED.

ALL OF THIS ANGER JUST EXPLODE

OUT.

SO I DO THINK THAT WAS PART OF

IT

FURTHERMORE, CERTAINLY WAS

UNCONSTITUTIONAL WHAT TH

OFFICERS WERE DOING.

IT WAS FOUND IN THE FLOYD CASE

TO BE ILLEGAL.

THIS IS SOMETHING THAT'S

PROBLEMATIC FOR MINORITY

COMMUNITIES.

IT'S STOP AND FRISK.

I ALSO THINK IT WAS A NUMBER

GAME BEING PLAYED.

I DO THINK THAT OFFICERS WER

TRYING TO KEEP TO QUOTAS

THEY WERE TRYING TO KEEP T

QUOTAS NOT JUST WITH STOP AN

FRISK BUT SUMMONSES, MARIJUANA

SUMMONSES, ALSO ARRESTS.

SO THEY'RE TRYING TO MEET TH

QUOTAS

ALL THIS PRESSURE OVER TIME.

>> LET'S TALK ABOUT BROKEN

WINDOWS.

THE BROKEN WINDOWS THEORY IS I

ESSENCE THAT YOU HAVE ZERO

TOLERANCE FOR EVEN THE SMALLES

QUALITY OF LIFE INFRACTION

BECAUSE IF YOU DON'T, LARGER

CRIMES WILL GROW AROUND IT

BILL BRATTON INSTITUTED BROKEN

WINDOWS WHEN HE WAS FIRS

COMMISSIONER 20 YEARS AGO.

IT'S IN POLICY IN NEW YORK CIT

EVER SINCE

SOME CRITICS SAY IT'S NOT STOP

AND FRISK BUT BROKEN WINDOWS AND

ALL THE NEGATIVE INTERACTION

THAT THAT RESULTS WITH OFFICER

AND MEMBERS OF THE MINORIT

COMMUNITIES THAT HAS CAUSED TH

FRICTION THERE

YOUR RESPONSE?

>> IN THE CRIMINAL LOGICAL

COMMUNITY THERE'S LOTS O

QUESTIONS AS TO WHAT FIRST

BROKEN WINDOWS IS.

NYPD DEFINED IT AS THIS ZERO

TOLERANCE EFFORT GOING ON.

BUT THAT'S NOT NECESSARILY WHA

BROKEN WINDOWS IS.

IF YOU LISTEN TO GEORGE KELING

WHO DEVELOPED IT, HE TALKS ABOUT

WORKING WITH COMMUNITIES, MUCH

MORE COMPLICATED ASPECTS O

BROKEN WINDOWS THIS HAS BEEN

OVERSIMPLIFIED IN MY VIEW ABOU

WHAT BROKEN WINDOWS IS

I DO THINK THAT POLICE NEED TO

BE GIVEN THE POWER TO DO THEIR

JOB, WHETHER IT'S STOP AND FRISK

OR WHETHER IT'S GIVING A SUMMONS

OR MAKING AN ARREST.

PEOPLE NEED TO RESPECT OFFICER

AND GIVE THEM THAT POWER TO DO

THEIR JOB.

I MIGHT ADD, THOUGH, YOU DO NEED

TO WORK WITH THE COMMUNITIES

I THINK THAT'S SOMETHING THA

HAS BEEN LOST OVER TIME.

THAT'S WHERE COMMISSIONE

BRATTON NEEDS TO MAKE SOME KEY

CHANGES.

>> YOU KNOW, AS WE KNOW, THE

POLICE SEEM TO HAVE BEEN ENGAGED

IN A SLOWDOWN OVER THE PAST TW

WEEKS, WHERE ARRESTS AND

SUMMONSES WERE DRASTICALLY

REDUCED.

BUT CRIME DIDN'T SPIKE

SOME OF THE CRITICS OF BROKE

WINDOWS SAYS THAT PROVES BROKE

WINDOWS IS UNNECESSARY

YOU SAY?

>> TWO WEEKS, THAT'S NOT GOING

TO TELL YOU ANYTHING, ESPECIALLY

IN THIS COLD, COLD WEATHER

THAT'S NOT REALLY AN INDICATION.

I WOULD SAY THAT THERE IS

CONTROVERSY IN CRIMINOLOGY O

THIS

WE AGREE THAT BROKEN WINDOWS I

THE ANSWER TO THE CRIM

CONSTANTLY GOING DOWN.

THERE WERE QUESTIONS ABOUT DRU

OF CHOICE, FOR EXAMPLE

YEARS AGO IT WAS CRACK COCAINE

THEN MARIJUANA BECAME THE KE

DRUG

AND ALSO THE ECONOMY OF TH

CITY, UNEMPLOYMENT, ALL OF THESE

THINGS MAKE A DIFFERENCE I

CRIME.

IT'S NOT SO SIMPLISTIC AS SOME

PEOPLE TRY TO MAKE IT OUT.

>> LET'S TALK ABOUT SOMETHIN

ELSE WE SAW IN THE CLIP.

MAYOR DE BLASIO GIVING HIS SPEET

ABOUT HOW HE AND HIS WIFE HAD TO

TRAIN THEIR BIRACIAL SON, DANTE,

TO INTERACT WITH THE POLICE.

MANY POLICE OFFICERS USE THAT AS

PRIME EVIDENCE, NOT ONE, THA

THE MAYOR TURNED HIS BACK ON

THEM BEFORE THEY LITERALLY

TURNED THEIR BACK ON HIM

ARE THEY JUSTIFIED IN THINKING

THIS

>> I THINK THEY'VE GONE A LITTLE

OVERBOARD WITH THIS.

I THINK EVERYONE SHOULD LEAR

HOW TO ACT WHEN A POLICE OFFICER

STOPS.

WE ALL GET NERVOUS

I GET NERVOUS WHEN A POLIC

OFFICER STOPS ME

HOW TO REACT IS SOMETHING THAT

NOT ONLY SHOULD WE BE TELLIN

MINORITY CHILDREN, BUT I THINK

EVERYONE SHOULD BE LEARNIN

ABOUT HOW TO BE ACTING IN FRON

OF POLICE OFFICERS

YOU GET STOPPED IN A CAR, YO

SHOULD SHOW YOUR HANDS

YOUR HANDS ARE A KEY PART OF

WHAT POLICE OFFICERS ARE LOOKING

FOR.

I THINK EVERYBODY SHOULD B

AWARE OF THAT.

SO I THINK OFFICERS JUST HARPING

ON THIS ONE PARTICULAR INCIDEN

IS A LITTLE DIFFICULT.

A LITTLE BIT OF A STRETCH.

REMEMBER THE MAYOR WAS ELECTED

ON A REFERENDUM FROM MINORIT

COMMUNITIES THAT IS WHY HE WAS

ELECTED.

SO THE POLITICS OF NEW YORK CITY

IS CHANGING.

AND I THINK THE POLICE

DEPARTMENT AND THE PEOPLE NEED

TO BE READY TO -- FOR CHANGE

AND I THINK THAT COMMISSIONE

BRATTON IS THE PERFECTED CHOIC

TO LEAD US INTO THIS NEW ERA

>> SO, ARE YOU OPTIMISTIC THAT A

NEW ERA WILL COME?

THAT PEACE WILL COME BETWEEN THE

POLICE AND THE MAYOR AND THE

POLICE WILL BE ABLE TO SERVE AND

PROTECT THE CITY DESPITE COLOR

>> I'M OPTIMISTIC ABOUT TH

FUTURE

MY CONCERNS, IT'S DIFFICULT TO

BE A POLICE OFFICER AND A POLICE

LEADER

THAT'S THE WAY IT IS IF

DEMOCRACY.

TO BALANCE CRIME CONTROL AND DUE

PROCESS.

THAT'S THE KEY

THAT MAKES IT SO DIFFICULT

I HEARD SOME RECENTLY ON VARIOUS

PROGRAMS TALKING ABOUT HOW W

SHOULD BE SPYING ON MUSLIMS,

DOING ALL THESE THINGS

THIS, TO ME, IS A VERY EGREGIOUS

OVERTAKING OF WHAT WE SHOULD B

DOING.

WAS WE SHOULD BE DOING IN MANY

OF THESE COMMUNITIES IS WORKIN

WITH THEM.

AS WE WORK WITH THEM, RATHER

THAN BEING AN ARMY O

OCCUPATION, AS WE WORK WIT

THEM, WE'RE MORE LIKELY TO GET

INTELLIGENCE INFORMATION

I THINK IT'S VERY IMPORTANT FO

POLICE TO BE ABLE TO BALANCE DUE

PROCESS RIGHTS WITH FIGHTING

CRIME.

SO FIGHTING CRIME IS NOT THE

ULTIMATE GOAL OF POLICING.

IT'S NOT

MANY PEOPLE SAY IT IS.

IT'S FIGHTING CRIME WHILE AT THE

SAME TIME PROTECTING BASIC

CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHTS.

THAT'S THE TICKET.

THAT'S THE DIFFICULT PART OF IT.

ANYONE CAN BRING DOWN CRIME.

IT'S BRINGING DOWN CRIME WHILE

PROTECTING RIGHTS, THAT'S TH

DIFFICULT PART

>> PROFESSOR, THANK YOU VERY

MUCH

>> YOU'RE QUITE WELCOME.

>>> STARTING IN 2006 ONE SMALL

SCHOOL IN HARLEM, SUCCES

ACADEMY TODAY IS THE LARGEST

CHARTER SCHOOL NETWORK IN TH

CITY WITH 32 SCHOOLS AND 9,000

STUDENTS

LAST OCTOBER THE STATE APPROVE

14 ADDITIONAL SUCCESS ACADEM

SCHOOLS.

IF PLANS GO ACCORDING TO

SCHEDULE, IT WILL BE SERVING

16,000 STUDENTS OVER THE NEX

TWO YEARS.

FORMER CITY DOWN UNTIL MEMBE

AND CHAIR OF THE COUNCIL'S

EDUCATION COMMITTEE, EVA

MOSKOWITZ IS THE FOUNDER AND CEO

OF SUCCESS ACADEMY

SHE JOINS US NOW TO TALK ABOUT

HER NETWORK AND THE FUTURE O

CHARTER SCHOOLS IN NEW YOR

CITY

MS. MOSKOWITZ, WELCOME

>> THANKS FOR HAVING ME.

>> THE "NEW YORK TIMES," "WALL

STREET JOURNAL" AND MANY OTHER

HAVE CALLED SUCCESS ACADEMY TH

MOST SUCCESSFUL CHARTER SCHOOL

IN THE CITY.

WHAT'S YOUR MEASURE OF SUCCESS

>> I REALLY WANT CHILDREN AN

PARENTS TO LOVE LEARNING

AND TO BE ENGAGED.

TEST SCORES ARE ONE OF MAN

MEASURES OF SUCCESS.

IT'S A PRACTICAL HURDLE THAT

CHILDREN HAVE TO GET OVER.

BUT WE ARE REALLY INTERESTED I

KIDS FALLING IN LOVE WIT

LEARNING AND SCHOOL.

IN LARGE MEASURE, WE HAV

ACCOMPLISHED THAT WITH A VER

LARGE NUMBER OF KIDS

WE'RE AT, AS YOU SAID, 9,000

KIDS, 32 SCHOOLS

I'M CONFIDENT THAT THE KIDS LOVE

LEARNING

THAT'S SO IMPORTANT.

AT THE END OF THE DAY, I

CHILDREN LOVE TO LEARN, THEY CAN

TEACH THEMSELVES ANYTHING.

>> HOW ARE YOU ACHIEVING THAT?

WHAT ARE YOU DOING DIFFERENTLY

THAN OTHER SCHOOLS

>> I THINK A LOT OF SCHOOL

TREAT CHILDREN AS A CAPTIV

AUDIENCE

BECAUSE THERE ARE LAWS THA

DICTATE CHILDREN MUST GO T

KINDERGARTEN AND SCHOOL.

PARENTS NEED CHILD CARE.

SO IN A WAY CHILDREN ARE A

CAPTIVE AUDIENCE

IMAGINE IF SCHOOLS ACTED AS IF

CHILDREN HAD THE FREEDOM T

CHOOSE WHETHER OR NOT TO GO TO

SCHOOL

IN FACT, THEY HAD THE FREEDOM TO

WALK OUT OF THE CLASSROOM AT ANY

MOMENT

THEY DON'T AT OUR SCHOOLS, BUT

IMAGINE IF THEY DID.

I WOULD VENTURE TO ARGUE THAT AT

MOST SCHOOLS IN AMERICA, THE

WOULDN'T COME.

IF THEY CAME, THEY WOULD LEAVE

BECAUSE BOREDOM, UNFORTUNATELY

IS ONE OF THE MOST COMMO

EXPERIENCES OF CHILDREN.

WHAT WE DO IS WE ENGAGE CHILDREN

WITH RICH, WONDERFUL LITERATURE.

WITH DISCOVERY ORIENTED SCIENC

FIVE DAYS A WEEK

WITH CHESS, DEBATE, CODING, ART,

MUSIC.

AND SPORTS

SO THAT KIDS LOVE BEING AT

SCHOOL

>> WHY DO YOU THINK REGULA

PUBLIC SCHOOLS ARE NOT DOING

THAT

>> I THINK THAT'S --

>> OR SOME OF THEM AREN'T?

>> I THINK IT'S A COMPLICATE

QUESTION

I THINK THERE'S A LOT OF TALEN

IN THE DISTRICT SCHOOL SYSTEM.

BUT THERE'S ALSO A LOT O

CYNICISM

I THINK TEACHERS FEEL BEATEN

DOWN BY THE BUREAUCRACY.

THE BUREAUCRACY IS NOT

RESPONSIVE TO TEACHERS O

PARENTS.

AT A LOT OF SCHOOLS, IT'S QUIT

BORING AND CHILDREN ARE NO

FALLING IN LOVE WITH LEARNING.

>> MS. MOSKOWITZ, A LOT OF YOU

CRITICS, AS I'M SURE YOU'V

HEARD, THE SUCCESS OF TH

SUCCESSFUL CHARTER SCHOOLS, THEY

SAY -- AND IT'S TRUE NOT ALL

CHARTER SCHOOLS AR

SUCCESSFUL -- IS DUE TO THE FACT

YOU GET THE CREAM OF THE CROP OF

PUBLIC SCHOOL STUDENTS FIRST O

ALL.

SECONDLY YOU DON'T TAKE IN

ENOUGH ENGLISH LANGUAGE LEARNERS

AND SPECIAL ED STUDENTS.

HOW DO YOU RESPOND TO THAT

>> FIRST, THE PUBLIC NEEDS T

UNDERSTAND THAT WE'RE A RANDOM

LOTTERY SCHOOL

SO, WE ARE NOT SELECTING OUR

STUDENTS ON ANY BASI

WHATSOEVER

THERE IS A PREFERENCE FOR TH

DISTRICT THAT THE SCHOOL IS IN

THAT IS MANDATED BY LAW, BECAUSE

WE ARE ACHIEVING THESE RESULTS

WITH RANDOM LOTTERY ADMISSION.

>> WILL THE ME INTERRUPT -

>> IN TERMS OF ENGLISH LANGUAG

LEARNERS, WE HAVE ABOUT 10% OF

OUR STUDENTS WHO ARE ENGLISH

LANGUAGE LEARNERS.

PARTS OF THE REASON THAT NUMBE

IS NOT HIGHER IS BECAUSE W

TEACH CHILDREN ENGLISH

THE WAY YOU GET DESIGNATED AS AN

ENGLISH LANGUAGE LEARNER IS YO

HAVE TO FAIL A TEST.

OUR STUDENTS PASS IT IN LARG

NUMBERS AFTER A VERY SHORT

PERIOD OF TIME

IN TERMS OF SPECIAL NEEDS, W

REALLY HAVE EQUIVALENT TO TH

DISTRICT AS A WHOLE.

WE HAVE 15% OF OUR STUDENTS WH

ARE SPECIAL NEEDS.

I THINK THAT WE HAVE TO LOOK A

WHERE THIS CRITICISM IS COMING

FROM

BECAUSE OBVIOUSLY THERE'

SOMETHING ODD ABOUT A GREA

PUBLIC SCHOOL THAT IS GETTIN

PHENOMENAL RESULTS BEING THE

RECIPIENT OF SO MUCH CRITICISM

IF YOU CAME FROM ANOTHER COUNTRY

OR ANOTHER PLANET, YOU WOULD SAY

WHAT -- WHERE IS ALL OF THIS

COMING FROM?

WHY ARE PEOPLE HOSTILE T

SCIENCE FIVE DAYS A WEEK

TO CHESS

I'M HOPING WE CAN SPEND A LITTLE

TIME ON THE POLITICS OF IT

BECAUSE IF YOU UNDERSTAND WHER

THE CRITICISM IS COMING FROM -

>> JUST GIVE US A HINT

BECAUSE WE DON'T HAVE A HINT

GIVE US A QUICK HIT OF WHERE THE

CRITICISM IS COMING FROM

>> IT'S PRETTY OBVIOUS THAT TH

TEACHERS UNION, WHICH HA

OPPOSED SUCCESS ACADEMY FROM THE

BEGINNING, AND YOU KNOW MY

HISTORY AS CHAIRWOMAN OF THE

EDUCATION COMMITTEE, I DARED -

DARED TO LOOK AT THE CONTRACT.

AND ASKED THE QUESTION IS TH

TEACHERS UNION CONTRACT GOOD FOR

CHILDREN

GOOD FOR TEACHING AND LEARNING

THEY HAVE HAD OPPOSITION TO ME

PERSONALLY AND TO SUCCES

ACADEMY SINCE THE DAY WE

STARTED.

THE TEACHERS UNION SUED 19 O

THE HIGHEST PERFORMING CHARTER

TO SHUT THEM DOWN.

ISN'T THAT ODD WHEN WE HAVE 1 IN

4 SCHOOLS IN THE CITY OF NEW

YORK FAILING 90% OF TH

CHILDREN

>> BUT THEY -- THEY MAKE THE

ARGUMENT THAT YOU ARE DRAINING

MONEY, THAT THE CHARTER SCHOOL

ARE DRAINING MONEY FROM TH

PUBLIC SCHOOLS

>> WE ARE SAVING THEM MONEY.

>> THAT YOU ARE TAKING SPACE

FROM THEM THAT THEY BADLY NEED

SO THE CO-LOCATION WHERE THE

CITY PUTS YOU FREE OF CHARGE

WHEN POSSIBLE.

>> I KNOW AN AWFUL LOT ABOUT

THIS TOPIC

CO-LOCATION IS ONE OF THESE HO

BUTTON ISSUES THAT THE TEACHER

UNION HAS MADE A BIG DEAL OF

THERE'S 200,000 EMPTY SEATS IN

THE CITY OF NEW YORK

IT'S BEEN THAT WAY FOR A WHILE

BECAUSE WE SIMULTANEOUSLY BUIL

MORE SEATS, THERE AR

DEMOGRAPHIC CHANGES IN CERTAIN

COMMUNITIES.

WE HAVE NEVER GONE INTO ANYTHING

BUT A GROSSLY UNDERUTILIZE

BUILDING

IF WE WERE NOT OCCUPYING THA

SEAT, THAT SEAT WOULD GO UNUSED.

AND GIVEN A PRECIOUS REA

ESTATE, FRANKLY I WOULD THIN

THAT THE PUBLIC WOULD WANT US TO

USE A SEAT THAT WAS BUILT AN

PAID FOR FOR A CHILD TO LEARN IN

FOR A HIGH PERFORMING SCHOOL

AND THAT IS WHAT WE ARE DOING.

>> THE BLOOMBERG WAS FRIENDL

AND SUPPORTIVE OF CHARTE

SCHOOLS AND YOU.

THE DE BLASIO ADMINISTRATION NOT

SO MUCH.

HOW HAS THIS LESS POSITIVE

ATTITUDE TOWARDS CHARTER SCHOOLS

AND YOU AFFECTED THE CHARTER

SCHOOL SYSTEM AND SUCCES

ACADEMY?

>> IT'S NOT JUST POSITIV

ATTITUDE

THE DE BLASIO THREW OUT TH

NUMBER ONE SCHOOL IN THE STATE

OF NEW YORK IN MATH IN THE

ENTIRE STATE OF NEW YORK

>> THAT WAS ONE OF YOUR SCHOOLS.

>> THAT WAS ONE OF OUR SCHOOLS

IT WAS A SAD DAY FOR CHILDRE

AND FAMILIES AND TEACHERS.

IT WAS INCOMPREHENSIBLE WHEN YOU

HAVE GOT 143,000 CHILDRE

TRAPPED IN FAILING SCHOOLS THA

HAVE BEEN FAILING THEM FOR

DECADES.

SO MY HOPE IS THAT, YOU KNOW,

SHARE WITH -- I KNOW BILL.

I SERVED WITH HIM ON THE CIT

COUNCIL.

AND I SHARE HIS PASSION FO

SOCIAL JUSTICE

I SHARE HIS BELIEF THAT WE ARE A

TALE OF TWO CITIES

IF YOU ARE AFFLUENT, YOU EITHE

GO TO A GOOD ZONED SCHOOL OR YOU

MOVE TO THE SUBURBS, OR YOU SEND

YOUR KID TO AN INDEPENDENT

SCHOOL

IF YOU'RE NOT AFFLUENT, YO

DON'T HAVE CHOICES

YOU ARE TRAPPED IN A FAILING

SCHOOL

I BELIEVE THAT IS NOT FAIR

AND, SO, I SHARE A LOT O

VALUES, I THINK, WITH THE MAYOR.

I JUST HAVE A DIFFERENT VIEW O

HOW WE'LL SOLVE THE PROBLEM.

>> ALL RIGHT

THANK YOU SO MUCH.

IT'S BEEN A PLEASURE TALKING T

YOU.

>> THANKS FOR HAVING ME.

>>> THINK THE POLAR VORTEX, IC

STORMS AND SNOW ARE THINGS T

DREAD?

WSKG TAKES US TO MEET MARK

CROUTHAMEL WHO TURNS ICE INT

WORKS OF ADVENTURE EVERY WINTER.

♪♪

>> MY MOST FAVORITE PART ABOUT

CARVING ICE IS THE PEOPLES

REACTION

IT'S BECAUSE IT IS A CONSUMABL

ART, NOT JUST IN THE FACT IT'S

TEMPORAL, IT MELTS AWAY, BUT

IT'S MEANT TO BE DISPLAYED AND

VIEWED BECAUSE IT'S SO SHORT FOR

A PARTICULAR PURPOSE

IT'S NOT LIKE A PIECE OF ART

THAT IS MAYBE PAINTED OR A

SCULPTURE PAINTED THAT MIGHT FIT

INTO A ROOM THAT NOBODY LOOK

AT, THIS IS MEANT TO BE USED

CONSUMED, THEN IT GOES AWAY.

EVEN THE BIGGER PROJECTS THAT WE

DO THAT WE HOPE LAST A WHILE

THEY'RE STILL TEMPORARY.

♪♪

>> MARK CROUTHAMEL

WE'RE ONE OF THE LARGEST ICE

MANUFACTURERS OF CRYSTAL CLEAR

BOOKS AND ICE SCULPTING EVEN

COMPANIES IN THE COUNTRY

WE DO A LOT OF INTERACTIVE

PIECES

WE LIKE PEOPLE TO TOUCH THEM

FEEL THEM.

WE GOT TO ALWAYS BE CAREFUL WHEN

WE'RE DOING THE LARGER

SCULPTURES THAT THEY'RE SAFE

SO WE DO LIKE THE INTERACTION.

WE DO A LOT OF INTERACTIVE

PIECES WHERE YOU MIGHT SIT O

IT, SIT ON IT GET YOUR PHOTO

TAKEN, OR SLIDE DOWN IT LIKE A

BIG ICE SLIDE.

IN THE WINTER WE DO A LOT OF

WINTER CARNIVALS, FAMILY EVENT

WHERE PEOPLE COME OUT, THE

ENJOY NOT JUST SEEING THE IC

SCULPTURES BUT WATCHING US AS WE

MAKE THEM.

>> CHAINSAWS, WELL, CHAINSAW

WERE INVENTED TO CARVE WOOD, CUT

WOOD

WE MODIFY THEM A BIT BY FILING

THE RAKERS DOWN.

WE DON'T USE OIL

WE GENERALLY USE ELECTRIC ON OUR

CHAINSAWS.

THAT'S THE BIG TOOL WHEN WE'RE

HAND CARVING, CUTTING, REMOVIN

THE BIG PIECES AWAY.

I GET PRETTY CLOSE IN A LOT OF

DETAILS AND SHAPING WITH THE

CHAINSAW

BUT THEN WE USE ROTARY TOOLS

MOSTLY CALLED DIVE GRINDERS.

THEY HAVE DIFFERENT BITS WE USE.

MOST OF THEM ARE CUSTOM FOR TH

ICE INDUSTRY

IT ALLOWS US TO SAND, CHANGE THE

TEXTURE, SMOOTH IT OUT, DO FIN

DETAILS FOR AN EYE, EYELID, OR

THE DETAILS AROUND A HUMAN FACE.

♪♪

♪♪

WE CALL THAT SNOW SCRIPTIN

WHERE WE ADD WHITE WHERE WE TAKE

AWAY SOME OF THE ICE AND THE

PUT IT BACK IN

BUT WHEN WE PUT IT BACK IN, IT

IS SHAVED ICE.

WHEN WE SHAI THE ICE, IT

INCORPORATES AIR BACK INTO THE

ICE.

WHEN WE DO THAT, IT STAYS WHITE.

SO WE HAVE A CLEAR AND A WHITE

CONTRAST

SO WE CALL THAT SNOW SCRIPTING

IT'S BASICALLY ENGRAVING

BACKFILLING WITH SNOW, A LITTL

BIT OF WATER

WE PACK IT

IT REFREEZES JUST ABOUT AS HAR

AS THE ORIGINAL ICE WAS.

IT'S THE SAME CONCEPT THAT YEARS

AGO WHEN THE ICE WAS EITHE

FREEZING CLEAR OR WHITE, IT HA

TO DO WHETHER IT WAS STILL O

NOT OR WHETHER THERE WAS AIR I

IT OR NOT.

WE'RE FINDING A WAY TO

INCORPORATE AIR BACK INTO SOME

SECTIONS, IN WHICH CASE WE GRIND

IT UP, PACK IT BACK IN

MOST OF THE YEAR, WE HAVE A LO

OF DIFFERENT SEASONS THAT TAKE

US INTO DIFFERENT MARKETS.

THE SPRING AND THE SUMMER AN

THE FALL WE DO A LOT OF WEDDING,

CORPORATE PIECES

A LOT OF PARTY PIECES.

ONCE WE GET PAST THANKSGIVING,

WE DO A LOT OF HOLIDAY DESIGNS

FOR HOLIDAY PARTIES, CHRISTMAS

HANUKKAH PIECES, CORPORATE

PARTIES, CHRISTMAS PARTIES

BUT THEN EVERY WEEKEND BASICALLY

ALL THROUGH DECEMBER, JANUARY,

FEBRUARY AND INTO THE BEGINNIN

OF MARCH WE'RE ON THE ROAD OR AT

HOME DOING LARGE WINTER EVENTS

WE MIGHT BE AT A DIFFERENT SKI

AREA WHERE WE'RE CREATING BI

DISPLAYS OR DOIN

DEMONSTRATIONS

OR BACK AT OUR PLACE WHERE W

CREATE AN EVENT THAT PEOPLE COME

TO US TO WATCH EVERY YEAR.

WE DO A LARGE EVENT CALLED

CRYSTAL CABIN FEVER.

WE TAKE 100 TONS OF ICE, 800

BLOCKS, WE BUILD AND CONSTRUCT

IT'S BOTH ENGINEERING AND AR

TOGETHER, WE CONSTRUCT

INTERACTIVE PIECES EVERY YEA

THAT PEOPLE CAN COME

LAST YEAR 12,000 PEOPLE CAME OUT

TO IT.

WE DO SPEND A LOT OF TIME IN THE

EVENT WORLD THROUGH THE WINTER

MONTHS

♪♪

THERE'S AN EVOLUTION IN IT

I GET TO BE ARTISTIC

COMMERCIAL, BACK TO ARTISTIC

AGAIN, WHICH I ENJOY

♪♪

>>> THAT'S IT FOR THIS EDITION

OF "METROFOCUS."

JOIN US AGAIN NEXT WEEK FO

NEWS, CONVERSATION, AND IN-DEPTH

REPORTING FROM NEW YORK AND NE

JERSEY PUBLIC TELEVISION

I'M RAFAEL PI ROMAN.

THANKS FOR WATCHING.

WE'LL SEE YOU NEXT TIME.

>>> FUNDING FOR THIS PROGRAM WAS

PROVIDED BY THE FOLLOWING --

CORPORATE FUNDING FO

"METROFOCUS" WAS PROVIDED BY

MUTUAL OF AMERICA.

YOUR RETIREMENT COMPANY.