Inside The Met: All Things to All People? Preview
Questions are raised about some of The Met’s most treasured objects, many obtained unethically and reflecting the tastes of the wealthy 19th-century industrialists and entrepreneurs who founded the museum.
- [Narrator] Amid increased calls for social justice--
- You have to bring diverse voices to the table.
- [Narrator] The MET looks inward.
- [Art Curator] It's a time of reflecting.
What is really important for us?
- These objects were stolen.
They were never intended to be in a space like the MET.
- The history taught to my children has been that of slavery
and there's more before that.
There is more.
- The museum has had to retreat
and now it wants to come back with what phase.