Trailer | Cured
When doctors classified homosexuality as a mental illness to be “cured,” they employed cruel treatments like electroshock and lobotomies. LGBTQ+ activists and their allies fought back — and won a momentous victory when the American Psychiatric Association removed homosexuality from its manual of mental disorders in 1973.
- [Speaker 1] It is very hard nowadays to have any awareness
of how different the world was for gay people.
- [Speaker 2] Homosexuality is in fact, a mental illness.
- [Speaker 1] Thousands of gay people
went to psychiatrists to be cured.
- [Speaker 3] Activism lit the spark.
- [Speaker 4] This was an uprising.
- [Speaker 5] Take the damning label
of sickness away from us.
- [Speaker 3] I'm not gonna allow you
to dictate to me about who I am.