Inside Look | Emilio and Gloria Estefan 2019
Emilio and Gloria Estefan discuss receiving the Gershwin Prize
- Music has given us the opportunity to bridge
so many cultures.
I was sitting in the back seat of my car
and he turned to me and his face lit up
and he goes, "Are you ready for this?
"We're going to receive the Gershwin Prize
"from the Library of Congress."
- Music for me is a celebration of life.
In your life, you always want to remember special moments,
and this was one of the special moments.
- Gloria and Emilio are the perfect embodiment
of the American dream.
- Tonight, we celebrate their stellar careers,
their enduring influence on millions of people
around the world, and the profound love
they've shared for over 40 years.
- Their music speaks for itself
and has served as an inspiration to so many
around the world.
- It was the first time in history
that a couple is getting it, a Hispanic couple at that.
It was really an amazing, amazing moment.
♪ Oh-way, oh-way, oh-way, oh-way ♪
It is incredibly important for us
to represent our culture,
to save it for our children,
to celebrate it and not let it be forgotten.
♪ You've got listen to the beat ♪
- Receiving this award is a beautiful thing
about the American dream
and I hope we can influence a lot of people
that, you know, anything you want to do in life,
you can do in this country.
♪ To the samba beat
(audience cheers and applauds)