Episode 5 Preview | "The Sons and Daughters of America"
See how country music reflects a changing America, with Loretta Lynn speaking to women everywhere, Merle Haggard becoming “The Poet of the Common Man” and audiences looking beyond race to embrace Charley Pride.
- [Narrator] On Country Music,
a new sound comes out of California.
- I think for me, Merle Haggard
all by himself saved country music.
- [Narrator] Loretta Lynn brings
a fresh perspective to country.
- [Man] Whatever's in that woman's heart
comes out her mouth.
- [Narrator] And Charley Pride blazes a trail of his own.
- Once they heard me sing, I don't care if he's green.
I like his singing.
- [Narrator] When Country Music continues.
Only on PBS.