First Day on the Ward
Nurse Lucille deals with an uncooperative expectant mother on the while on temporary reassignment to the hospital maternity ward.
- Mrs. Constance Blair?
- Only my mother called me Constance.
- I am the midwife in charge.
This is Pupil Midwife Hoskins, who I am supervising.
Would you like to be called Connie?
- You can call me Mrs. Blair.
How come she's in charge?
- I am a qualified midwife, Mrs. Blair.
- I haven't seen you before.
How long you been here?
- It's my first day on the ward,
but I have years of experience as a nurse and midwife.
That's why I'm here in a supervisory capacity.
How are you feeling?
- You're on bedrest because your waters broke.
- It's all in my notes.
- Could you check Mrs. Blair's pulse and temperature?
- [Hoskins] If you could just pop this in your mouth for me.
- You're supposed to keep your personal items tidy.
There are magazines on the floor
and your vases are a hazard.
- Yes, well--
- Please don't try to talk.