ART IS...Event Recap
Event Recap of Art Is... Our Call for Peace on May 7th, 2019
- I am one of five brothers.
Xuezeng, Lajly, Wuang, Meng
and then there's me, Kevin.
- Tonight was the celebration of Hmong art
in America across generations, across mediums
and it was also a capacity to dream
and to envision a better world
in our case a more peaceful world.
It's really just such a wonderful opportunity
for me to be in conversation with my father
whose work inspires me and then to hear that Kevin
is inspired by my work and then to see
how Xee visualizes the same force
that compels me and calls me to the page,
it's a gift.
The secret war, the biggest covert operation
in CIA history and it's ramifications
would tear into the history of a people.
- It really spoke to a part of me
that I felt I could not express.
(singing Song Poetry in Hmong)
So it was really touching for me
and it was really special in that way.
(Song Poetry in Hmong)
- It's great to walk into a space where you see
the narrative's not being compromised.
- It feels important that for Minnesota's culture
that we're hearing the voices of all
the different groups that make up our state.
- I wanted to show the kids who they are,
where they come from.
- I liked how they all preserved our history
in a different way.
- They're gonna be fading marks,
you know parts of us are gonna fade.
Parts of our culture is going to fade
because we're gonna incorporate where we are
with who we are.
- So many of us have such important stories to tell
and when we're given platforms like this
to share them out, I think we're able
to create connections that mean so much.
I'm reminded that the speaker is just as important
as the words that drop out of their mouths
and I'm reminded that I'm Kevin
as much as I am Ntxuam.