ART IS...Event Recap
ART IS... CreativeNativeResilience event recap from June 13th, 2019.
- [Rear Performer] Are you ready?
- [Front Performer] Ready! - [Rear Performer] Okay!
- Just from the moment I walked in, seeing the artwork,
and then the audience was already full by the time we came,
and then just seeing
the performances start was very impactful.
I just really almost was brought to tears
for some of those pieces tonight.
- Art is... CreativeNativeResilience
is a show that I created.
I think that as Native people we're really invisibilized,
or we're kind of stuck in a historical context,
and these were all young, vibrant,
Native people doing extraordinary things.
- We stand with the water.
We stand here.
- And here.
- And here. Water is life!
- Events like this connect people
across boundaries and within themselves,
also showcase new kinds of talent
or voices that may not have been heard before.
- ♪ Take my hand and we'll take it slow ♪
♪ All around we go
♪ Yeah, we go
- This is an opportunity for me to learn more
about what the Indigenous community wants me to know.
- Those teachers didn't break me
(speaks in Ojibwe)
We're still Anishinaabe; we're still Indian.
We still stand tall; we still stand proud.
- The diversity is what I appreciated hearing,
like the different tribal languages from this whole area,
the music, the drumming.
I flew in from Montana to be here,
and I'm so grateful we made it.
It was wonderful.
- Once we get to do our work, it speaks for itself.
I've already had people reaching out to me
just from the audience saying, "I want to connect,
"I want to work. Let's make some things happen."
I'm hopeful to see what the future brings for us.