What Unladylike Means to Me
Modern day women from the series discuss what the term "unladylike" means to them.
- Unladylike is an awesome word for me.
- It's an empowering term.
- I guess it means gutsy.
- Refusing to conform to someone else's concept
of what it means to be a woman period.
To dream and to dare.
- Those of us who have been called unladylike
and I certainly have, reclaim that and wear it as a badge.
- To me being unladylike
is not so much about what I'm wearing
or what I'm looking like on any particular day,
it's about kind of boldly following my interests
and my curiosity.
a full protagonist in the story of your own life.
- Women have been told to be quiet, to be thin,
to not take up a lot of physical space,
to stay in the domestic sphere
and not go out into the public world.
- I know that there is a perception that being aggressive
and ambitious is also unladylike, but I don't think so.
- It's used for women
who have the audacity to step into man's sphere
and do what they want to do.
- In my culture women have always been warriors.
- My existence is a form of resistance.
If being a lady
means I've got to sit in the corner somewhere
and be quiet and never raise my hand, never speak up,
never shout, never run, never sit in, never stand up.
I'm fully committed to being unladylike,
if that's what being a lady means.
- Call me unladylike and I'll probably say, thank you.
More Episodes (19)
Jamaica Heolimeleikalani Osorio: This Is the Way We RiseOctober 14, 2020
Amyra León: Strange GraceOctober 14, 2020
Damon Davis: Apologue for the Darkest GodsOctober 05, 2020
Anik Khan: Street LevelOctober 05, 2020
Maia Cruz Palileo: Becoming the MoonOctober 05, 2020
Christian Scott aTunde Adjuah: The New ChiefOctober 05, 2020