How It Feels To Be Free trailer
The inspiring story of how six iconic African American female entertainers – Lena Horne, Abbey Lincoln, Nina Simone, Diahann Carroll, Cicely Tyson and Pam Grier – challenged an entertainment industry deeply complicit in perpetuating racist stereotypes, and transformed themselves and their audiences in the process.
- [Narrator] Meet six extraordinary women
who forged their own answers to a profound question.
- [Alicia Keys] As a Black woman,
how does it feel to be free?
- [Narrator] Lena Horne, Abbey Lincoln.
- They blazed such a trail.
- [Narrator] Nina Simone.
- Voice of the civil rights movement.
- [Narrator] Cicely Tyson.
- Accepted for her talent alone.
- Diahann Carroll.
- We're at a new crossroad.
- [Narrator] Pam Grier.
- [Alicia Keys] First female action hero in American film.
- [Narrator] Look for "How it Feels to Be Free."
- Let's see what happens here.
- [Narrator] On American Masters.
More Episodes (24)
American Masters: How It Feels To Be FreeJanuary 18, 2021
Jamaica Heolimeleikalani Osorio: This Is the Way We RiseOctober 14, 2020
Amyra León: Strange GraceOctober 14, 2020
Damon Davis: Apologue for the Darkest GodsOctober 05, 2020
Anik Khan: Street LevelOctober 05, 2020
Maia Cruz Palileo: Becoming the MoonOctober 05, 2020