Jack & Yaya | Trailer
From a young age, Yaya and Jack saw each other as they truly were, a girl and a boy, even though most of the world didn’t see them that way. As they grew older, they supported each other as they both came out as transgender. JACK & YAYA follows these two friends for a year and explores their unique, thirty-year relationship.
Yaya, the dogs are barking.
- [Man Off Camera] She's right here.
- Jack, I don't have the patience. Shut up.
It's not even funny.
- [Jack] Kim Kardashian. (laughs)
We basically were kind of raised together a lot of the time,
because my parents were so young.
- And so were mine.
- I think the reason why we were
such good friends when we were younger
is because of who we actually are today.
I'm going home to see my family and that includes Yaya,
and hopefully do some family time, lots of partying.
I don't wanna get wet!
- Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah!
- I love everyone. I love life itself.
- And I just shot at the jacket, boom!
- I loved him ever since he was not him.
- [Jack] I didn't really know that I wanted to be a boy.
I knew that, like, I wanted to be married to a woman.
I remember thinking like, this is wrong
and I need to fix this.
- My fantasy was to be long-haired, stupid gown,
like I knew then that's what it was.
- [Jack] I don't even know if I could say the word "trans."
I think what I said was like, "I don't wanna be a girl."
- I can do it for you.
- I'm not trusting you to, 'cause you want to too much.
Steps to obtain a court order
to change your name in New Jersey...
- I'm trying to be Christina.
I'm not worried about what you're doing
in your house or with your body.
Why are you so worried about me?
- I don't understand anything wrong with it.
First of all, I'm not God.
And I don't believe He's gonna throw somebody in Hell
for doing what comes natural.
- [Jack] Unless you have this, you don't get it.
- [Yaya] We are so strongly connected in that weird way.
The best thing of knowing him for 30 years
is that connection.