Far East Deep South | Trailer
Charles Chiu and his family’s search for their roots takes them on an eye-opening journey through the Mississippi Delta, uncovering otherwise unknown stories and the racially complex history of Chinese immigrants in the segregated South. This Chinese American family’s unforgettable story offers a poignant and important perspective on race relations, immigration and American identity.
(soft instrumental music)
- Growing up,
I didn't understand why it was so hard
for my dad to open up.
- [Narrator] Charles Chiu's sons knew their father
was born in China,
but the rest of his story remained a mystery.
- Life was pretty tough for me in U.S.
I had no family.
- [Narrator] The search for their roots
takes them to an unexpected part of America.
- That's my grandmother.
- Yeah, in Mississippi,
there's the grocery store.
- Last thing I thought I'd ever
find in Mississippi was a Chinese museum.
- [Charles] This is my father's Bible!
- Everything was very segregated.
I mean, it was black, white,
we were just really in the middle.
- [Narrator] A surprising legacy in the Mississippi Delta.
- It's so amazing to find out the family history
I never knew.
I never expected to know.
- [Narrator] Far East Deep South
on America ReFramed.